Nintendo's next-generation console is codenamed 'NX'

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Mar 17, 2015.

1. heartgold
    OP

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    [​IMG]
    :arrow:Source

Margen67 likes this.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I guess it'll take until E3 before any hopes will be crushed (eg: the final name will be far more stupid than NX*). And with the deal with DeNa just today, it would be ludicrous to just tease a new console in the process. So no...I seriously doubt it will actually be a new console. In fact, if it wasn't for that "it'll involve fresh hardware", then I'd just think they were talking about their deal on mobile games to begin with. At most, it'll be something like a portable wiiu or a nintendo-dedicated smartphone.

*on a rather funny note: 'nx' can be pronounced as 'niks', which is Dutch for 'nothing'. It actually sums up my expectations quite nicely. :P

GalaxianPirate likes this.
  3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It seems silly for them to try to life support three consoles at once. They're already stretched kinda thin between two.

Celice and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  4. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    NX = Nintendo Xtreme maybe ?

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Irish ex captain

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Drop the toxic Wii brand, get rid of retarded waggle and tablet controller gimmicks and bring something out that is powerful and easy enough to develop for that it is actually relevant post 2016 and you might not have another Wii U level disaster on your hands.

minexew, Pluupy, DarkFlare69 and 10 others like this.
  6. heartgold
    OP

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    Smartphone? Na they clearly state it's a dedicated game console. We don't know whether it's a successor of 3DS or Wii U. I'm going with neither, looks to me to be a third pillar. How they support three gaming devices remains to be seen.

7. ReBirFh

ReBirFh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2010
    Brazil

They won't, it's more likely this new dedicated game system is the 3DS successor. Unfortunately this new membership thing with the easy of acess from any cellphone will mean we will never have club nintendo like prizes.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Complimentary... device?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Oh no... Oooh nooo... ;O;

9. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    The second I see Nintendos games on tablet and smartphone trash, Im done with them :glare:

10. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    My guess would be a gaming tablet.

PS: A small tablet with physical gamepad buttons.

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    never forget

12. TemplarGR
    This message by TemplarGR has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 17, 2015, Reason: one word post.
    Mar 17, 2015
  13. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Here's my input nobody asked for:

-Original Content on Smartphones is not a good idea. Controls will be horrible, gameplay will be oversimplified for touch controls, lack of physical releases, and Nintendo collectors with a passionate distaste for Smartphones like me are going to bust a nut.

-Nintendo working on a next gen console- I'll wait and see. If if means we'll get a next-gen 3D Mario that's not in the vein of 3D World then I'm on board. If it means it's a kind of Nintendo branded Smartphone then I'm over 9000% done. If it's like the Wii U with better specs minus the Game Pad but with it's own exclusives, I'll be pissed that I have to buy a new console so soon after the Wii U but I'll eventually warm up to it if it's promising.

14. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Well, Nintendo's competitors are already very established in this space and I think it makes sense for them to make the jump. The translation/execution of their games to the platform however will be key to their success.

15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Because peripherals are definitely the way out here.

"No, no, dig up, stupid!"

16. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Should've called it NewWiiUDS

17. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    What I don't seem to understand is WTF is stopping them from making a MORE POWERFUL machine than PS4?

Just make that machine powerful and easy to develop for. It will sell a lot due to Mario, Zelda, etc., and third party developers can just jump in.

Highly doubt it since they just released the N3DS.

18. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

One simple word - Tradition. And I think they pride themselves on making fun games that do not need to be graphically intensive which is the biggest reason I personally like them.

19. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I wouldn't expect them to release this for another 3-4 years at the earliest.

Nightwish likes this.
  20. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    "Service"? Welp, I guess this is the last generation of Nintendo for me. Had a good run, but I'm not gonna support turning gaming into television.

21. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States

I wouldn't be surprised if they made such a tablet. Nintendo expressed their next dream after 3d is to have games playable on both a console and handheld without having to rebuy them and/or remake them. I could see them jamming the Wii-U's hardware into a tablet and having additional arm processor in their for advanced emulation of the N3DS/NN3DS.