Nintendo's "Gameplay over Story": The Pros and Cons of the Controversial Approach

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you know something? I kinda agree and disagree at the same time. When I was a kid, I was blown by the story of Super Metroid, for example. And that game combined great story and GREAT, ENHANCED gameplay coming from the original Metroid and Metroid 2. With the Mario franchise, well, you get the classic story about a damsel in distress, but you get a lot of fun in the way. That's just a clear example of "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Now, think about this: I don't know, the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise. That damn thing is about races, and that's it. But it has spawned, I don't even know anymore, 10 movies? People go and watch every new movie, and the people behind the name make millions of dollars. That's an example of a bad thing.

Now with Nintendo NOWADAYS, yes I agree, the story is kind of blurry, but you get the full experience getting a fun game, with an OK story and a great memory is going to be there forever. I have played so many games, on Xbox, Playstation, PC, you name it, and the vast majority have a long story and lore, but with no love, or at least I feel it that way. You lose interest very soon, and the game becomes a responsibility more than a happy hobbie.

So, I really like the way Nintendo makes games. Some things are bad, some things are good, but all in all, it's the brand that has given me the most cherished gaming moments of my life. Just my two cents.
The Fast and Furious series may vary in quality, but I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW that five through eight are good popcorn action movies. How DARE you!!!1

I agree that Super Metroid is one of the best examples of story with nearly no text. You simply experience the scenario through gameplay, and actual story events only occur at pivotal moments. I thought Metroid Fusion had an intriguing storyline because it introduced a natural enemy for the Metroid's, which I never really thought about. The whole Adam/Federation business was well-handled, despite being a bit formulaic. The gameplay is really what sells those two for me, and they're among my all-time favorites.

I definitely agree with the whole "games as a chore, not a hobby" problem because that was me about 20 years ago. I had turned it into a job, and that might be why I tend to favor gameplay over story. I had to be honest with myself: I don't care to read or listen to logs when there's game to play. I just accept that I won't understand the storyline half as well. That's what makes each of us unique.

Although I do appreciate when a good game can juggle both story and gameplay without one overtaking the other.

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have no points, and have been enormously more disrespectful.

What you like is one thing, but demanding it as a new blueprint for the most successful video game developer is obviously stupid. Go back to your dating sims and stop sullying intelligent conversation with your foolishness.
So you really need to wipe your mouth off kissing Nintendo ass like that. You might get blisters. I didn't demand anything, I just wish they tell the stories they want to tell without being pigeonholed by Nintendo's ancient edicts they seems to be stuck on. You're confronting me because I don't like Nintendo lame ass stories? You work for them? Help me get a job. Whatever "intelligent conversation" you thought you have flew out the window when you decided to talk shit to me for really no reason. You can disagree all you like, but no matter how many posts you post after this, the fact still remains they still suck at stories. So you can go back to your Mario RPGs and your BOTWs and stop sullying basic conversation with your foolishness.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help me get a job.
You'd have to be way, way less of an entitled asshole to get a job. Maybe something always remote? Something that minimizes your interaction with people.
I just wish they tell the stories they want to tell without being pigeonholed by Nintendo's ancient edicts they seems to be stuck on
they still suck at stories
Above and beyond that obvious contradiction, to reiterate:
you have no idea of the quality of the underlying story one way or another because you're tragically blinded by the least relevant elements of its presentation.
I agree with you about one thing: further conversation with you isn't going to accomplish anything. I think it's clear enough that you're a threadcrapping tool, I hope that's sufficient that nobody else falls into the miserable pit that your game design ethos, for lack of a better term, resides in, due to your broadcasting here. Nintendo's already got stupid consultants who are ignorant of game design to pitch bad ideas, they don't need more of you.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If I were to have a nice story telling journey I'd grab a book.

If, on the other hand, I were to have a great and fun time, I'd grab a Nintendo game.

Period.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I've seen my Nieghbors dog come in my back yard and eat my dogs poop.