Hacking Nintendont

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, obviously some changes can break things in loaders, we've seen a few examples already with GX having to get updates just to get nintendont to work again there. Even so, there can be other reasons, like the SD or HDD used, the way an HDD is setup, if the rip for the game was well made or not, even the simple fact of using an SD instead of an HDD, since they use different kernels. Giving more information is good of course, but even so, I'm sure most of us wouldn't figure out the reason it's not working just from that.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but it does becuase nintendont does revs faster than loaders get updated for that which sometimes makes a game not work trough them but work trough nintendont on the hbc.

compatibility should remain the same even when using usb loaders because usb loaders do nothing to the kernel. It only uses the Nintendont launcher to launch the game

A usb loader doesn't need to update every time Nintendont updates. I have been using the same version of cfg for the last 20 revisions.

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
this link can be stickied? I can see the potential if its kept updated as the page states.

you could include:
ustealth
latest vwii ios'
hbc
I will probably not include all of those.
This page is for serving fresh builds from source of the software I use myself.
I might include the UStealth Windows-app on the page if jayjay123 will allow it though. But I can not build it since my build system is Linux. (I could probably do it somehow, but that is beyond my knowledge unfortunately.)

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I will probably not include all of those.
This page is for serving fresh builds from source of the software I use myself.
I might include the UStealth Windows-app on the page if jayjay123 will allow it though. But I can not build it since my build system is Linux. (I could probably do it somehow, but that is beyond my knowledge unfortunately.)

You should, if possible, include the meta.xml and icon.png in the generated zips, otherwise there's no difference between getting the dol in the first post or the one in your zip (unless you're using Ustealth). With the three files it would be an "easy install" package to recommend to new users.

Reactions: zombieman

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
You should, if possible, include the meta.xml and icon.png in the generated zips, otherwise there's no difference between getting the dol in the first post or the one in your zip (unless you're using Ustealth). With the three files it would be an "easy install" package to recommend to new users.
I might be able to make a more complete package, but that kind of feels like I'm stealing someones hard work. I do not do any of the coding, I just compile the files.
The .zip on my site all include a regular build and an UStealth build (none of these two have UStealth support and I need it). I want to think more of them like an unofficial update than a replacement to the official builds. I might put a link to the latest official and complete build on my site later with some more detailed instructions. If I have time.

Reactions: bm123456

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I might be able to make a more complete package, but that kind of feels like I'm stealing someones hard work. I do not do any of the coding, I just compile the files.
The .zip on my site all include a regular build and an UStealth build (none of these two have UStealth support and I need it). I want to think more of them like an unofficial update than a replacement to the official builds. I might put a link to the latest official and complete build on my site later with some more detailed instructions. If I have time.

I don't think it's stealing at all, many projects (mainly emulators) use this kind of build server; it's been said before that a zip package with the meta.xml, the icon and the dol would be helpful for starters. But in my mind I was against the idea of having to update manually the zip.

However, with a server like yours, it would be easy to keep it updated since the only thing that changes is the dol. And I don't think the devs would feel offended about it, because you're not claiming anything as your own and even linked to the project page. You're free to wait for a dev reply about this matter though, if that makes you feel more at ease.

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
I don't think it's stealing at all, many projects (mainly emulators) use this kind of build server; it's been said before that a zip package with the meta.xml, the icon and the dol would be helpful for starters. But in my mind I was against the idea of having to update manually the zip.

However, with a server like yours, it would be easy to keep it updated since the only thing that changes is the dol. And I don't think the devs would feel offended about it, because you're not claiming anything as your own and even linked to the project page. You're free to wait for a dev reply about this matter though, if that makes you feel more at ease.
If the devs are for it then I would do it. At least for Nintendont.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is compatibility should be the same for ALL users

booting from a loader shouldn't make a difference

It totally does. Nintedont loader has never worked for me, always stack dumps. Loading from GX or Wiiflow is about 50% chance of crashing. Nintendont has never once loaded a game for me.

Reactions: Jonesy47

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It totally does. Nintedont loader has never worked for me, always stack dumps. Loading from GX or Wiiflow is about 50% chance of crashing. Nintendont has never once loaded a game for me.

That sounds like a problem on your side that has nothing to do with Nintendont game compatibility.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like a problem on your side that has nothing to do with Nintendont game compatibility.

Fresh install (no nincfg on either SD or USB)
Add the .dol to SD card apps/nintendont, rename to boot.dol, launch from HBC...choose USB, it loads my game list...I pick a game, check settings to ensure they are what I want (mainly just mem card emu on) and launch -> code dump.

if its a problem on my end, i'd like to know how. and why would it boot from other loaders if it was an issue on my end?

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fresh install (no nincfg on either SD or USB)
Add the .dol to SD card apps/nintendont, rename to boot.dol, launch from HBC...choose USB, it loads my game list...I pick a game, check settings to ensure they are what I want (mainly just mem card emu on) and launch -> code dump.

if its a problem on my end, i'd like to know how. and why would it boot from other loaders if it was an issue on my end?
How are you starting homebrew channel?
What version of homebrew channel?
What drive is the boot.dol on?
Is it possable their are other boot.dols in other locations or drives?
Is the meta.xml correct?
if after an sdi dump if you try launching nintendont from the homebrew channel an dont press anything just let it auto boot from the config the loader created does that work?
Are their different controller.ini on the different drives?
Could one of the drives be write protected or full?
How far in the boot process does it get before it code dumps?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you starting homebrew channel? priiloader or system menu - doesnt make a difference
What version of homebrew channel? latest
What drive is the boot.dol on? SD
Is it possable their are other boot.dols in other locations or drives? all .dols are on SD
Is the meta.xml correct? came from the google code
if after an sdi dump if you try launching nintendont from the homebrew channel an dont press anything just let it auto boot from the config the loader created does that work? didnt try that
Are their different controller.ini on the different drives? on normal wii with gc ports
Could one of the drives be write protected or full? no
How far in the boot process does it get before it code dumps? immediately after selecting the game, no boot info at all

i know you have to treat everyone as a n00b but im not by any means new to wii stuff ;)

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
The thing is compatibility should be the same for ALL users

booting from a loader shouldn't make a difference
compatibility should remain the same even when using usb loaders because usb loaders do nothing to the kernel. It only uses the Nintendont launcher to launch the game
I don't know how long you've been testing Homebrew Adeka but both these statements are wrong. I'm not actively testing Ningendont at the moment but I've been on the scene testing DM, WiiFlow, Devo and several other homebrew projects and loaders and compatibility is never the same across all users it's practically impossible, there's different conditions & there's different hardware as well as the possibility of the performance being different for the same type of hardware.

If it was that simple and all users experienced the same end result we wouldn't have to test as much as we do and make as many revisions and reverts as are needed in development. Same thing goes for the loaders, Cyan has needed to update USBL-GX a few times already to be compatible with some config changes in Nintendont. Same goes for WiiFlow so loaders have a definite affect on the outcome launching a game. CFG works differently so it's possible it hasn't needed an update so it doesn't affect you.

Anyway hope I don't come across as rude, just trying to be informative, your results are not definitive otherwise we would not need beta testers. Please be patient & stay be a bit more open-minded when it comes to others results.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When editing the compatability list and changing something from working to issues or not working, include in the comments something like "Was reported working in v1.??". That way we have an idea when it broke and we know that it did work. Or "I tried it in v1.?? that was reported working but that version didnt work for me eather" If you realy want to speed up getting an issue fixed test the versions in between and report "it last worked in version 1.??" so we know exactly whare it broke.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What he probably meant is that external loaders are all loading nintendont the same way they do with any other homebrew.
The game compatibility doesn't depend on the Loader and its version.

If the loader need an update, it's not to get better compatibility, it's because it doesn't boot at all. (like when the cfg version has been updated, or when the \n became \r\n breaking the version detection).
But gamewise, the compatibility is the same.

What can be different, is the settings themselves like video mode (I fixed the video mode in latest revision of USBGX. If you have strange behavior with 50/60hz or int/prog let me know).

I'll try to disable the "return to" feature for homebrew to see if that's what makes nintendont crash when booted from a loader.
I don't have all the binary version from the first server, but I'll test with the one I have to find which revision started to have this issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/qRuNxHqwazs?si=0AhJg_9A8kf-V0iF