Hacking Nintendont

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does the PS3 controller have to be plugged in the WiiU? I got my brother to let me use his PS3 controller til I can buy one on Friday.

echan42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So this project was dropped and the source released, but is anybody developing this any further because I can't find any version apart from the zelda WW pre alpha but people are seamingly loading other games?
I hope it's USB and not SD isos

coolmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the compatibility list and metal gear solid twin snakes is green (yay). Has anyone else tried the game out? Does it run well for you?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So this project was dropped and the source released, but is anybody developing this any further because I can't find any version apart from the zelda WW pre alpha but people are seamingly loading other games?
Check the first post. There's a link there. There's also a download link on the googlecode page where the code was realeased.
https://code.google.com/p/nintendont/

Blyzzard30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is SD for now until a usb version is released which might be quite a wait since compatibility comes first. SD cards are coming out in pretty nice sizes, I have a few 32GB which is more than plenty for several games. Though I mainly test em out for compatibility, I still fit enough games on a card.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
So anyone with a USB Gecko tried what crediar posted? (that is if anyone even HAS a USB Gecko). Dolphin is completely out of the question and I could not find any other MEM2 dumpers, although it seems like a MEM2 dumper homebrew should be possible since 0x93200000 is part of the cached region (I am probably wrong about how .dol loading works).

It's possible to do a homebrew MEM2 dumper; the DOL executable/data usually gets loaded to MEM1, not MEM2. And given the fact libogc first allocates memory to MEM1 through malloc() until it is full, you can just copy the whole cached 64 MB in chunks of, let's say, 32 KB.

However, it seems Devolution r200 uses yet another obfuscation method by altering its binary data in the 0x93200000 - 0x93219A9F range (according to my tests with Super Monkey Ball, though; I couldn't see any plain text in there). That may also explain why Crediar used r197 in the first place.

Just my opinion, though; it's not like I have the skills to improve Nintendont in any way.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Even though progress is slow I have faith this project will turn out really well if only because many people are interested in it and it's open source so it's not like if one guy lost interest the project dies, I would like to see how it will work if Devolution kernel was implemented!

Luigi's Mansion NTSC-U, works fine on r38. Stuck on save screen. A restart seems to fix the problem.
This is not related but I been having a similar issue with Smurfs Dance Party on Wii in which if I start the game it freezes on black screen (wiimote remains lit) but when I hit reset the game runs fine, tried different settings and none of them work, I asked Cyan and he didn't know what the problem is, was wondering if anyone knows what's going on!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
As Crediar mentioned, if you guys are just trying to grab Devolution and drop it into Nintendon't and hope for magical results, it's not gonna work as they both work in very different ways. Nintendont's Kernel replaces the IOS (running on the ARM processor) and lets the GC game run straight on the hardware while Devolution's kernel (running on the PPC processor) just acts as a go-between for the IOS, letting the GC game run in sort of a virtual machine.
...I assume that's still using GC controllers and all that jazz.
No it doesn't. It uses SD or USB instead of the disk and/or memory cards and work has begun on adding wiimote support. All hardware with the exception of the graphics card is virtualized (which could also be done but there's no need for it).
DIOS MIOS runs in gamecube mode, scans for a bunch of specific functions when the game starts and patches them.
Devolution runs direct from HBC like any other homebrew app and executes the game in a virtual environment - all wii hardware is still available and any patching is dynamic (as the code is executed).
and with both compiled to run on different types of processors a simple copy and paste of disassembled code isn't gonna work either.

Also, I didn't quite catch where Crediar said he would/could add Devolution based code to Nintendont but it might be what's being referred to here:
It is only closed source to protect the disk verification. The "complex" parts that might be useful for other projects have already been shared with someone who was planning to add something similar to an existing open source app.
Which would mean a little bit less work than having to reverse engineer that information our of a memory dump.

As far as other public posts, though, I think one the only one that could directly help with a problem we're currently seeing.
I did mention all the graphics issues were related, so all rainbow/scrambled textures should be fixed.

For anyone interested, when gamecube games send the address of a TLUT (texture look-up table) to the graphics processor they send a single word that looks like this:
0x64XYYYYY
where X is undefined (random) and YYYYY is the physical memory address of the TLUT right shifted by five. The reason X is undefined is because the physical memory address will only use bits covering the range up to 0x01FFFFFF (GC only has 0x01800000 bytes of RAM), when you shift that value right by five it becomes 0x000FFFFF. The GPU knows only those bits are valid and ignores the rest, so the GXInitTlutObj function doesn't bother setting the value of X to anything (it will be whatever was left in memory before).
However in wii mode the presence of MEM2 means the physical address of the TLUT can be in the range up to 0x1FFFFFFF, which gives 0x00FFFFFF when right shifted by five. So the GPU does pay attention to the extra four "X" bits, causing bad values to be read into the TLUT caches. The patch I added ensures that the undefined value "X" is always zero.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For some reason I'm not getting past "patched kernel loading ... 4" for any iso

See https://code.google.com/p/nintendont/wiki/Troubleshooting
Seems a controller problem, on the OP page there is also a controller HID test you can download.
See also https://code.google.com/p/nintendont/wiki/ControllerSetup for more info on the controller setup.

Also FOR EVERYBODY, please READ the first page of this thread first when you are new to Nintendont for usefull information. It might help you solve your problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P