Hacking Nintendont

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using a Y cable when connecting the HDD to your Wii U? It won't work without it. By the way, nintendont isn't compatible with HDD yet. But it will be added later. For now it's SD card only. I'm not sure what's causing the black screen on the SD card though. How are you launching nintendont? With the official loader or through usb loader?

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there anybody here, who owns a USB-gecko? I guess, having a USB-gcko plugged in will provide much more deeper information about the crashes and blackscreens. Maybe it would make sense to find a place, where all this information can be collected. Adding a column in the compatibility list for this, would imo make the the list little bit too messy. Maybe it's best to just add a link to a textfile containing the information provided by USB-gecko. I'm not an expert (not even close) but I think without deeper information it will not be possible to write patches for the current problems.

Second thing that maybe would be a good idea is to make a documentation of crediars code. Right now, the code terribly messy and bad commentated. An essential step to improve this project is to add proper comments to the code.

sabykos follow my signature links and pick the nintendont full debug version...

roukxwel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you using a Y cable when connecting the HDD to your Wii U? It won't work without it. By the way, nintendont isn't compatible with HDD yet. But it will be added later. For now it's SD card only. I'm not sure what's causing the black screen on the SD card though. How are you launching nintendont? With the official loader or through usb loader?

I think it's more Nintendont who wants not work I havent any problems with Devolution on vWii

I start with the official charger Nintendont

Ok for USB I had not seen that it was not yet consistent :P

I'll try with another SD can be that if is not compatible
Format fat32 with allocation size of 32 or 64k

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
- Still don't get Super mario sunshine to work (when i press "start game" on it, i get black screen) :(

I'm not sure if this is the case here but I know Devolution had some prolems early on with different versions of the same game (PAL vs NTSC vs NTSC-J ... or Player's Choice eddition vs original) since a later/different region release could hae been recompiled with a later SDK, hed bug fixes or otherwise had parts of the game code rewritten which mike fix/break compatibility.

EDIT : which does, of course, complicate compatability lists a bit

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when that's the case, wouldn't the developers increase the game version in the game header?
These are the games with known different versions:
007: Agent Under Fire (v1.00)(v1.01)
Conflict: Desert Storm (v1.00)(v1.01)
Dairantou Smash Brothers DX (v1.00)(v1.02)
Disney-Pixar Finding Nemo (v1.00)(v1.01)
Game Boy Player Start-Up Disc(v1.00)(v1.01)(v1.02)
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy(v1.00)(v1.01)
Luigi's Mansion (v1.00)(v1.01)
Madden NFL 2004(v1.00)(v1.01)
Mario Party 4 (v1.00)(v1.01)(v1.02)
Mario Power Tennis(v1.00)(v1.01)
Mario Tennis GC (v1.01)
Medabots Infinity(v1.00)(v1.01)
Metroid Prime(v1.00)(v1.02)
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (v1.00)(v1.01)
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 (v1.00)(v1.01)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II(v1.00)(v1.01)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus (v1.05)
Pikmin(v1.01)(v1.02)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time(v1.00)(v1.01)
Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights(v1.00)(v1.01)
Star Fox Adventures (v1.00)(v1.01)
Super Smash Bros. Melee(v1.00)(v1.01)(v1.02)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (v1.00)(v1.01)

Thanks to Crediar for the list

I tried to make the disc swapping working, but couldn't find how to do it.
1. I changed the sources to correctly load "game.iso" when you start nintendont with "disc2.iso".
2. Nintendont detects the DI Command 0xe3000000, close current file and load the new one correctly, set DiscChangeIRQ to 1 then back to 0, but that's all.
3. Logs always display DVD_STATE_MOTOR_STOPPED and game still wait for the new game.
I don't know how to make the DVD motor start again or make the game detects the new disc is loaded.

The only differences with DM(L) is that DM puts the new game file's header in memory. maybe I need to write the game header in memory too? but I don't know where to write it.
f_lseek( &GameFile, 0 );
f_read( &GameFile, (void*)0, 0x20, &read );

Reactions: mike1 and Maxternal

Bentonoise7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure if this is the case here but I know Devolution had some prolems early on with different versions of the same game (PAL vs NTSC vs NTSC-J ... or Player's Choice eddition vs original) since a later/different region release could hae been recompiled with a later SDK, hed bug fixes or otherwise had parts of the game code rewritten which mike fix/break compatibility.

EDIT : which does, of course, complicate compatability lists a bit

Tried here with Legend of zelda Wind Waker Usa , Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario sunshine , 1080 Snowboarding... the games appear on list, but when i press "start game" i get black screen. I'm using a micro sd Kingston 32 GB via micro sd adapter. Tried also connecting a usb flash drive.
i just don't know what is wrong....
It would be awesome if crediar changes his mind and get back on this project , he he :bow:

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried here with Legend of zelda Wind Waker Usa , Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario sunshine , 1080 Snowboarding... the games appear on list, but when i press "start game" i get black screen. I'm using a micro sd Kingston 32 GB via micro sd adapter. Tried also connecting a usb flash drive.
It would be awesome if crediar changes his mind and get back on this project , he he :bow:

are you using the most recent release (r13)? r5 doesn't work on wiiU if your using that

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

USB does NOT work yet
&
Your SD card is not compatible

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. Everybody's talking about increasing game compatibility and patching games to work, but how actually do you "patch" a game? I took a look at the devolution thread on page two, there were a problem with Smash Bros Melee and someone posted this log:

http://pastie.org/private/rwialx3unnjmzqsoj8jzyw

It contains this error message:

assertion "(u32)arenaLo >= (u32)_p(a_arenaLo) && (u32)arenaHi <= (u32)_p(a_arenaHi)" failed in lbmemory.c on line 128.

So the this this condition does not hold and therefore the game crashes. It even displays the source code file and actual line where this piece of code comes from. Problem: We certainly don't have the source of Smash Bros Melee. So what do we do? My first guess is, to extract the iso (maybe with wiimms tools). Then you have to search for the right file (which I don't know how to do), disassemble it and find the right part of the code and figure out what happens around this condition above. And maybe you can locate the problem.
But there is one thing I forgot: It is certainly important to know why exactly the above assertain fails. So you need to know the values of arenaLo, _p(a_arenaLo) and so on. Don't know, if there's a way to get those values. My suggestion is that they are displayed in the stack dump underneath the error message in the log file. But certainly don't know.
Next problem is: You found out where the problem is. You figured out which value responsible for the crash, so you have to overwrite it with the right value. But: What is the right value? And: How do you overwrite it? Well, I guess, you simply write a new value at the adress where the value is stored. But you have to write it to this address at the right time, cause this address might be used before for other things. And I don't know how to do it. And I also can not provide a solution for the problem of finding the right value.
Long story short: In this particular case, the problem was that the game thought, that the game thought there were 3849 MB of free ARAM. So the problem was solved by overwriting this value with the right ARAM size.

Is there anybody here, who owns a USB-gecko? I guess, having a USB-gcko plugged in will provide much more deeper information about the crashes and blackscreens. Maybe it would make sense to find a place, where all this information can be collected. Adding a column in the compatibility list for this, would imo make the the list little bit too messy. Maybe it's best to just add a link to a textfile containing the information provided by USB-gecko. I'm not an expert (not even close) but I think without deeper information it will not be possible to write patches for the current problems.

Second thing that maybe would be a good idea is to make a documentation of crediars code. Right now, the code terribly messy and bad commentated. An essential step to improve this project is to add proper comments to the code.

I totally agree with this post. Even if we don't know how to work with the USB gecko logs, it is always good collect as much information as possible. And if crediar returns some day, he has all the information he needs to fix all the issues. Testing is time consuming and it isn't really fun. So the least we can do, is doing this work for crediar.

when that's the case, wouldn't the developers increase the game version in the game header?
I tried to make the disc swapping working, but couldn't find how to do it.
1. I changed the sources to correctly load "game.iso" when you start nintendont with "disc2.iso".
2. Nintendont detects the DI Command 0xe3000000, close current file and load the new one correctly, set DiscChangeIRQ to 1 then back to 0, but that's all.
3. Logs always display DVD_STATE_MOTOR_STOPPED and game still wait for the new game.
I don't know how to make the DVD motor start again or make the game detects the new disc is loaded.

The only differences with DM(L) is that DM puts the new game file's header in memory. maybe I need to write the game header in memory too? but I don't know where to write it.
f_lseek( &GameFile, 0 );
f_read( &GameFile, (void*)0, 0x20, &read );

I don't know how to solve this. But did take a look at the libOGC documentation?

http://libogc.devkitpro.org/dvd_8h.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok