Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll get this right eventually.

r71
Search for MCE fix. Remove restriction on SSBM PAL.

I can't even get Melee to boot. Trying to find the problem.

Edit: Ignore my post, it finally booted. Game kept crashing with black screen on boot though. Probably on my side.

Edit2: Melee freezing issue is back. Can't get a game started.

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline i think working on support for the mayflash and raphnet adapters would be the most helpful since those are the most common ones that people use to play with the dolphin emulator on a pc. although i think bluetooth support would be even more important to work on.

i believe the current landscape looks like this: if you have a powerful enough pc, use the dolphin emulator. if you want to play vanilla gamecube games on a console, then use devolution (works on both wii and wii u, controller support is great, etc.). if you want to play modified gamecube games (liked a hacked version of melee) or have read errors on your disc drive (common wii problem), then you use dios mios (for wii) or nintendont (for wii u). you can use nintendont on a wii as well if you don't want to change the mios, but if that's the case, why aren't you using devolution since you clearly have a working disc drive? :-p

currently, i think melee is the only gamecube game that truly needs gamecube controller support since the majority of players in the smash scene are diehard gc controller fans who have trained their muscle memory to that controller. i don't mind playing racing games or adventure games with a ps3 controller. although i will note that i only play a few gamecube games so my experience is limited in that regard.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are there no GC to USB dongles that work perfectly now? I need to be able to distinguish what is causing issues.

The first post showed a usb to cc adapter that works perfectly. You can use a classic controller to gamecube adapter after that. We just need to find out which usb to cc adapter it is because there are multiple and some are reported as not working.

I know for a fact the magic joy box 3-in-1 works with Nintendont but the c stick is always pressed to the side. If you can fix that then it would work perfect

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So are there no GC to USB dongles that work perfectly now? I need to be able to distinguish what is causing issues.
The first post showed a usb to cc adapter that works perfectly. You can use a classic controller to gamecube adapter after that. We just need to find out which usb to cc adapter it is because there are multiple and some are reported as not working.

I know for a fact the magic joy box 3-in-1 works with Nintendont but the c stick is always pressed to the side. If you can fix that then it would work perfect

If it's of help, one of the issues I had with my PC Gamepad was that the C-stick was always moved down. This was particularly bothersome in SSBM because the C-stick moves the camera in the menu. For whatever reason, it was fixed when I added RAnalog and LAnalog to my controller.ini with whatever value, because I had DigitalLR=1 anyways.

Maybe this issue with the adapter is similar?

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline
currently, i think melee is the only gamecube game that truly needs gamecube controller support since the majority of players in the smash scene are diehard gc controller fans who have trained their muscle memory to that controller. i don't mind playing racing games or adventure games with a ps3 controller. although i will note that i only play a few gamecube games so my experience is limited in that regard.

Yeah I wouldn't say so... The GC controller is essential in pretty much every GameCube game, as far as I can see. But to be honest I just really hate the Sony controllers.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's of help, one of the issues I had with my PC Gamepad was that the C-stick was always moved down. This was particularly bothersome in SSBM because the C-stick moves the camera in the menu. For whatever reason, it was fixed when I added RAnalog and LAnalog to my controller.ini with whatever value, because I had DigitalLR=1 anyways.

Maybe this issue with the adapter is similar?

I used the ps3 controller.ini as a base so it already had LAnalog and RAnalog in it. Also it may of had it pressed down and not to the side.

I just remember that the c stick was pressed:sleep:

Reactions: JnL_SSBM

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no experience with gc to usb adapters since if i had one, i probably would have a powerful enough pc to use the dolphin emulator since why else would i buy one. i think the amount of people who would buy an adapter just to play gamecube games with nintendont is low, since one could simply use dios mios or devolution right now without purchasing extra hardware. so that's why i would argue that bluetooth support is currently more important than usb adapter support. currently, the people who need nintendont are people who:

1. don't have a powerful enough pc to emulate or want to play with friends on a tv.
2. own a wii u, but not a wii.
3. want to play modified games on a wii u.
4. want a cheat engine (ocarina support) on a wii u.

also, can we start a new thread? since crediar isn't as active now and he is the only one who can modify the top post, it makes sense to start a new thread with an active developer. and can when we update new commits, can we also add a zip that contains the files necessary in proper folder structure. when i help my friends install nintendont, i tell them to download the alpha version link in the top post, then download the latest loader from trunk in the first post and replace the file in the alpha version, then go to the google code (is there a reason this is used over github since i thought google code took away download support or something) page to get the latest icon.png and meta.xml file. it would be nice to just tell people to download and unzip a file into the root of you sd card like how most homebrew apps are packaged.

thanks again to all those who are helping out with the development of nintendont. the progress is exciting. i would contribute, but i don't have experience with stuff this low level (but i would help if someone wants to help me get started ;-)).

Silentsurvivor fair enough. i just know the zeolotry for the gamecube controller is high in the smash scene. i don't know what the scene is like for other games but i know when i play mario kart with friends, they think it's fun to play with alternate controllers, but burn me at the stake if i were to suggest playing smash with an alternative controller ;-p.

Reactions: JnL_SSBM

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no experience with gc to usb adapters since if i had one, i probably would have a powerful enough pc to use the dolphin emulator since why else would i buy one. i think the amount of people who would buy an adapter just to play gamecube games with nintendont is low, since one could simply use dios mios or devolution right now without purchasing extra hardware. so that's why i would argue that bluetooth support is currently more important than usb adapter support. currently, the people who need nintendont are people who:

1. don't have a powerful enough pc to emulate or want to play with friends on a tv.

also, can we start a new thread? since crediar isn't as active now and he is the only one who can modify the top post, it makes sense to start a new thread with an active developer. and can when we update new commits, can we also add a zip that contains the files necessary in proper folder structure. when i help my friends install nintendont, i tell them to download the alpha version link in the top post, then download the latest loader from trunk in the first post and replace the file in the alpha version, then go to the google code (is there a reason this is used over github since i thought google code took away download support or something) page to get the latest icon.png and meta.xml file. it would be nice to just tell people to download and unzip a file into the root of you sd card like how most homebrew apps are packaged.

thanks again to all those who are helping out with the development of nintendont. the progress is exciting. i would contribute, but i don't have experience with stuff this low level (but i would help if someone wants to help me get started ;-)).
The first post is not by crediar.

Any mod (cyan mainly in this thread) can edit the first post

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

You forgot to mention those of us who have a Family Edition Wii, it doesn't read GC disks, so the only way we can play is throught nintendont. And maybe there's people who had a Gamecube, it doesn't work anymore, so they're left with the controllers without being able to use it in anything else. I think that people would benefit from being able to buy an adapter.

I don't think bluetooth is THAT important because it's way easier and cheaper to find an USB gamepad , that also has enough buttons and sticks to work just like a GC controller; instead of getting a Classic Controller to use through bluetooth (again, the wiimote + nunchuk would be missing the C-stick, which in some games could be an issue) or a GC controller + adapter, etc etc. Everyone is talking about using PS3 controllers and how Sony's controller design sucks, I'm not picky about controllers so I'm just using this relic from the past (I bought it really cheap years ago) and it works perfectly fine.

Reactions: ALSINJAN

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adeka ah, i stand corrected. that's good to know. as you can see from my post count, i'm new to gbatemp, and i was not aware of a mod being active in the thread :-p.

faku1810 ah, good point about the family wii. personally, i don't know anyone who currently owns one, so it must've slipped my mind. and yes, i agree that it may be easier to find a cheap usb gamepad, so since there is already support for many usb controllers and ability to use hidtest to make controller.ini files for other controllers, so imo, bluetooth controller support would be the next big leap forward in terms of growing the amount of users who would use nintendont rather than working on bugs for an adapter that many people don't have (as opposed to a wiimote that i would assume everyone who has a wii or wii u has).

so if people don't want to create a new thread, can we modify the first post to something a little more clear and package the files in a better way?

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Adeka ah, good to know. as you can see from my post count, i'm new to gbatemp, so i was not aware.

so if people don't want to create a new thread, can we modify the first post to something a little more clear and package the files in a better way?

People would still have to download the loader.dol from google code, so I think it's kinda pointless. They can just go there and grab the meta.xml and icon.png on the way. There's no need to download the Alpha Preview zip, unless you have a controller that's not supported by the controller.ini that are in the git repository. but you can also download the Hid test in the first post.. So, what else would you need? Just reading the first post you have everything you need.

suomynonanum2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree that we don't *need* to change things, i was just offering a suggestion. but as it currently stands, when i tell my friends to get cleanrip, i just tell them to download the zip and extract it to the root of your sd card. when i tell my friends to get wiiflow, i just tell them to download the zip and extract it to the root of your sd card.

when i tell my friends to get nintendont, it's not so clear. the only reason i tell them to grab the alpha is since it has the folder structure correct so i can just tell them to unzip to the root of the sd like most other things. then i proceed to tell them how to replace files with the latest version. if you look at the google code page for nintendont, there are no featured downloads on the sidebar in nintendont's google code page. the download link in the description, only links to the dol file. it's not intuitive for people to look through the source to find the latest meta.xml. and then let's be honest, only a fraction of the people read the readme, so most people forget to rename controller.ini and place it at the root of the sd card. personally, i've never had a problem with it, but i still think it could be packaged better for people who aren't as technically inclined or have a friend who can guide them through the process. just my 2 cents :-p.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i agree that we don't *need* to change things, i was just offering a suggestion. but as it currently stands, when i tell my friends to get cleanrip, i just tell them to download the zip and extract it to the root of your sd card. when i tell my friends to get wiiflow, i just tell them to download the zip and extract it to the root of your sd card.

when i tell my friends to get nintendont, it's not so clear. the only reason i tell them to grab the alpha is since it has the folder structure correct so i can just tell them to unzip to the root of the sd like most other things. then i proceed to tell them how to replace files with the latest version. if you look at the google code page for nintendont, there are no featured downloads on the sidebar in nintendont's google code page. the download link in the description, only links to the dol file. it's not intuitive for people to look through the source to find the latest meta.xml. and then let's be honest, only a fraction of the people read the readme, so most people forget to rename controller.ini and place it at the root of the sd card. personally, i've never had a problem with it, but i still think it could be packaged better for people who aren't as technically inclined or have a friend who can guide them through the process. just my 2 cents :-p.

I went to check on the Alpha package to be sure before I replied, you only need to tell them to download the package and the latest dol from the first post. The package includes an icon and a base meta.xml, the latest revisions autoupdate the meta.xml on launch. so that's it, the only "hard" part is to make a controller.ini; if they can't do THAT much then I don't know how they even managed to install the homebrew channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol