Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
TwinRetro said:
How is this news? There is no game console handheld or otherwise that had backwards compatibility going back more than one generation. (Virtual Console doesn't count)
The PS3 does. It has both PS2 and PS1.

They used the exact same media though. Nintendo hasn't. Gamecube - Minidiscs, special wired controllers. Even on the Wii, it needed those controllers, and thus, a pretty big amount of hardware for it. They dropped that. Besides, why keep that much BC? It's not needed. Keep your consoles.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Will the Wii U at least still support gamecube controllers, for the few Wii titles that do?
Can't beat playing Smash Bros Brawl with a good GC pad.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
KirbyBoy said:
TwinRetro said:
How is this news? There is no game console handheld or otherwise that had backwards compatibility going back more than one generation. (Virtual Console doesn't count)
The PS3 does. It has both PS2 and PS1.

They used the exact same media though. Nintendo hasn't. Gamecube - Minidiscs, special wired controllers. Even on the Wii, it needed those controllers, and thus, a pretty big amount of hardware for it. They dropped that. Besides, why keep that much BC? It's not needed. Keep your consoles.
I don't know, I bought a PS3 because of the BC as my ps2 broke, plus I was liking the games on there like Heavy Rain, but then I found out that it couldn't do that, so I just bought another ps2. I just said that the PS3 does go back two generations with BC, nothing more.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's easy to see just why they removed backwards compatibility.

Think about it. The PS3 started out with PS2 hardware inside it, and that jacked up the price a bit. Once Sony came to their senses and decided they needed to make the console more affordable, they dropped the PS2 hardware. This cut costs quite a bit.

Now, if the WiiU is going to be as strong (or stronger than) a PS3/360, AND have controllers with 6" touchscreens, gyrosensors and more, it's going to cost enough already without extra gamecube guts shoved into the thing.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
They removed backwards compatibility because by the time the WiiU will be released the Gamecube will be over 10 years old.

WE'RE ALL OLD.

Yep. The Gamecube and PS2 are turning into ancient technology. It's saddening to me. It's more saddening to see how obsolete the likes of the N64 are at this point.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Gameboy Advance

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Magmorph said:
TwinRetro said:
Gameboy Advance

And early PS3 models. Maybe not as a whole, but they still exist and are in use.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thinking about it, one part of the spec sheet caught my eye. "Support for external hard disk drives"
If there's any one way to bring GCN titles to the Wii U...

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Magmorph said:
TwinRetro said:
Gameboy Advance

And early PS3 models. Maybe not as a whole, but they still exist and are in use.
the Atari 7800
laugh.gif

zumbertinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have they told already if Wii games will play in 1080p? That's all that matters to me right now (specially because I'll probably keep my Wii, so at any rate I'll be able to play GC games).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zumbertinho said:
Have they told already if Wii games will play in 1080p? That's all that matters to me right now (specially because I'll probably keep my Wii, so at any rate I'll be able to play GC games).
I admit, if they muster 1080p Wii titles, my days of using Dolphin emu may be numbered.
The only thing Wii U probably won't offer in that regard is screenshots.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine that at some point, either Nintendo or a third party will release an adapter or a direct peripheral that you can plug into the WiiU controller. It has like, 4 USB ports, right? Wouldn't be surprised to see one of those.

Thanks for the heads up. The only GC games I play in my Wii are Double Dash and StarFox Assault, but I do still have my Wii and GC, soo. Not to say that I expected it, but I'm not really disappointed by this. It was definitely bound to happen sooner or later.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. Fuck. If I were to play WiiU, I'd wanna pop in SSBM and play in HD on an LCD without lag. But no.

Someone will eventually make a GC emulator and GC to WiiU adapter though. I'm sure of it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Will the Wii U at least still support gamecube controllers, for the few Wii titles that do?
Can't beat playing Smash Bros Brawl with a good GC pad.

Someone needs to start making GameCube to Classic Controller adapters. I refuse to stop using my GameCube controllers!
hate2.gif

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:

Well the Gba kinda did. The original Gameboy Advance and SP could play gameboy advance, gameboy color and original gameboy games. same with the early ps3 models, playing ps3, ps2, and ps1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo