Nintendo WiiU Will Not Feature Gamecube Compatibility

D

Deleted User

So, Wii and Gamecube's architecture=same.
This means Wii U is emulating the Wii.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tigris said:
That means nothing of the sort. The Wii U just may have a lockout to keep GC games from actually working, or they may not physically fit into the tray. The Wii U still uses a PowerPC based processor. Wii U may just support Wii games via hardware. All the controllers and accessories are apparently still supported anyways.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
granville said:
tigris said:
That means nothing of the sort. The Wii U just may have a lockout to keep GC games from actually working, or they may not physically fit into the tray. The Wii U still uses a PowerPC based processor. Wii U may just support Wii games via hardware. All the controllers and accessories are apparently still supported anyways.
More likely that they just wanted to drop having to place 4 controller ports and 2 memcard slots just for GC backwards compatibility and avoid wasting space on the main console
tongue.gif

Honestly, I don't see anything bad in dropping support for a long-dead platform (we're talking of 2 generations ago!)
tongue.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
granville said:
tigris said:
More likely that they just wanted to drop having to place 4 controller ports and 2 memcard slots just for GC backwards compatibility and avoid wasting space on the main console
tongue.gif
Yep, a good analysis of the potential situation. The Wii and GC had enough of a difference where developers still had to customize the Wii to accept GC accessories.

On the other hand, if this supports Wii natively, and it has all the necessary hardware, i wonder if late on, hackers can force Wii games to run on it by using something like a classic controller. I would have to guess not, but meh.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It supports USB right? They'll probably release a GC-like pad later to plug right into the WiiU remote.

Or a third party will. Either way, I don't think it'll be long until we see a GC like remote for it.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mathewd3 said:
Weren't pretty much all Gamecube games terrible?
No, and i doubt you've ever played the system if you think so. There were plenty of great games for the system. I could make a large list of them if you so wished (i won't unless you really ask). Just because the PS2's library was so extensive, doesn't mean GC didn't have any good stuff.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am not too shocked that they removed the GC from it, it was bound to happen. But we all know Nintendo isn't going to leave it there, they will release, remake, and most likely re-sell the GC games in the future.
Also this is one of the reasons I keep my old systems and don't trade them in, so I can play my old games without having to re-buy them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
So, does this mean they are planning on putting GC titles in the shop?
Not that I want to go back and play any particular GC game.

I'd doubt it, maybe they'll release some HD collections for the system since it's a pretty quick buck.

Still need to find my Gamecube copy of 007 Nightfire. It's like my favorite game for the system and one of my favorite games of all time and I can't find my copy. I think I lent it to a friend.

The Gamecube had a pretty decent library although I found some of the first parties to be kinda disappointing (Star Fox Adventures/Assault weren't that good, I didn't like Super Mario Sunshine at all, Metroid Prime didn't feel up to par to the GBA titles, and some games like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and the Pikmin games are just vastly better with New Play Control schemes now). It was still a solid system because it got most of the multiplats, SSBM, and it was cheap. I'd say the PS2 was better but it just spanked all the other consoles that generation.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
Adding GC support would be silly as they would need more ports for GC controllers on the box + GC Mem slots, so no no no i'm afraid, Wii already did this, not Wii U, although it would be ideal (for some of us) it would take up too much room of the console and ruin the appeal of it somewhat!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: