Nintendo Video Server Spoofing

Thanks to user popoffka for laying the groundwork and figuring it out first, and writing up the 3DBrew article on Nintendo Video. See here and here.

Spoofing the Nintendo Video server will allow users in unsupported countries who get the message "The Nintendo Video service is not available in your location. You cannot download videos." to download and view videos within the Nintendo Video app. Also, it allows users such as myself who can already receive videos to view videos from other countries. HOWEVER, you can only view videos from the same region as you, ie EU, US or JP. So for example, I live in the UK, I can download videos from Germany but US videos will not work. The video files are region protected.

Before you start, you may need to change the region setting on your 3DS to match the country whose video files you wish to view. Find this setting in "System Settings", "Other Settings", "Profile", "Region Settings".

A quick summary of what we will achieve:

1) Download the video files you wish to watch from the Nintendo server.
2) Set up an HTTP server to host the video files.
3) Set up a DNS server to redirect the Nintendo Video app to download the videos from your server.
4) Route the 3DS through your DNS server.
5) Download and view the videos on your 3DS.

1) Download the video files you wish to watch from the Nintendo server

Firstly, you want to get hold of the video files. Check this link for the format of URL to use and figure out the correct links to download the videos you wish to view. The COUNTRYCODE determines which country you are going to download your videos from, and the LANGUAGECODE depends on what language you have your 3DS set to. You can download videos from any country where they are available and in any language, but remember only videos from your region will work. As an example, the link to the first UK video is:
Code:
http://pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/110/1/ESP_MD1
Where 110 is the COUNTRYCODE for the UK and the 1 after that is the LANGUAGECODE which corresponds to English. For Germany it is:
Code:
http://pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/78/3/ESP_MD1
For America it is:
Code:
http://pubus-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/49/1/ESE_MD1

These are just examples, you can figure out the links for any supported country by following the format specified in the 3DBrew article.

Now, if you're in an unsupported country, you will not be able to download from these links, you will see an "Access Denied" page. If you're downloading the US videos, use the Hide My Ass! web proxy server, otherwise to fix this, download and install this Firefox extension. Once it is installed, you will see a little red icon on the bottom right of your Firefox window, click the arrow next to that and hit Configure, then make sure it looks like the following picture:

stealthy-options.png

Click OK on this and then click the little red icon and it should turn green. Now try your link. If it doesn't work, click the icon until it goes red, and then click it to green and try again. Every time you do this, the Stealthy extension cycles through different proxies, so eventually it will work and you will be able to download from your link. Now download the rest of the videos, there will be at most four and sometimes less.

Once you have downloaded the files, make sure you click the icon so it turns red again, we don't need to access the internet through a proxy anymore.

2) Set up an HTTP server to host the video files

You can use any HTTP server but I used Abyss Web Server as it is quick and easy to set up. Google it, download the setup file and install. The install is very easy, just keep clicking next until it asks you if you wish to start the web server and hit yes, a page will then open in your web browser. Choose your language, enter a username and password, and log in. Done!

For the next part this explanation is necessary.

When the Nintendo Video app attempts to fetch videos, it will decide where to fetch them from based on 3 things.

1) The region of your 3DS (EU, US or JP).
2) The country set in your 3DS region settings.
3) The language set on your 3DS.

So, figure out which URL YOUR 3DS will attempt to download from based on these things, again you can figure this out by following the format on this page. As a quick example, if your 3DS is:

An EU model - pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net
Region is set to the UK - COUNTRYCODE = 110
Language is set to English - LANGUAGECODE = 1

then when your 3DS attempts to download videos, put those three together and you can see it will attempt to download from the url
Code:
pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/110/1

It is very important you figure out the URL that YOUR 3DS will attempt to download from, DO NOT SIMPLE COPY THIS EXAMPLE, unless your 3DS matches these conditions. This URL may be different from the one you downloaded the video files from originally.

Now all you need to do is browse to the Abyss Web Server installation, default location is C:\Abyss Web Server. In here will be a folder called htdocs. Make sure you are in this folder and then you need to create a series of nested folders to match the URL you have just figured out. This is everything AFTER pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net. So, in the above example, we need to make a folder named "1" (Without the quote marks). WITHIN this folder, we make another one named "110" and then within THIS folder we make a final folder named "1".

Put your downloaded video files in here and we are all done for this section.

htdocs-struct.png

3) Set up a DNS server to redirect the Nintendo Video app to download the videos from your server

For this section I chose Simple DNS Plus, it's the easiest DNS server to use and has a free 14 day trial.

Google it, download and install. Once you have it running, in the main window there is a "Records" button. Click on this, and in the window that pops up click on the "Quick Zone Wizard" button. In the "Zone Name" field, enter the domain that your 3DS will attempt to download from, based on the region of your 3DS. Following on from the earlier example, my 3DS will attempt to download from pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net so I enter that in this field. In the "Web server IP" field enter the IP address of your computer. Ignore the other two fields. It should look something like this:

dns-setup.png

If you don't know your IP address for the previous step, press the Windows key and R at the same time, in the box that pops up type "cmd". When the command prompt appears, type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Look for the entry matching your internet interface and next to "IPv4 Address" you can see your IP address.

4) Route the 3DS through your DNS server

Turn on your 3DS and open the "System Settings". Tap on "Internet Settings" then "Connection Settings" and then click on the connection corresponding to the network you are currently connected to. Tap on "Change Settings", scroll until you see "DNS" and tap that. Tap on "No" and then "Detailed Setup". Under both Primary and Secondary DNS, enter the IP address of your computer, then hit "OK" and "Save". If you pass the connection test you are good to go.

5) Download and view the videos on your 3DS

Open the Nintendo Video app and hit "Connectivity Check". With any luck, it will say that you are able to download videos and then start downloading the videos from your HTTP server. If there are any connection issues, check that your firewall is not blocking the connection, or temporarily turn it off.

IMPORTANT: Always make sure you run Abyss Web Server BEFORE you run Simple DNS Plus, or the server will not be able to listen on port 80 and will not work. When you restart your PC, Simple DNS Plus will run automatically, so shut it down, launch Abyss Web Server, and then launch Simple DNS Plus, or simply remove Simple DNS Plus from your startup entries.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
ferofax said:
nintendoom said:
ferofax said:
can somebody tell me what's the size of ESE_MD2? i downloaded it fine (11MB), but it won't show up in the Nintendo Video main screen (the one with the four thumbnails). i'm trying to redownload it, but no go yet. i'm thinking maybe somewhere along the way, the download got corrupted or something.

anyways, with this working, we have the ability to SERVE our own videos. we just need to wait for someone to figure out the file format, and then maybe we'll be able to put ANY video we want on our 3DS. well, i think for the most part that's how it should work. dunno about signing videos or anything yet, though. not even sure if it works like that.
its 25.4 mb.
aw... thanks for clearing that up. for some reason, i'm getting a "File not found" message now for ESE_MD2... have they taken it down already? managed to get the Smurfs video though (ESE_MD3) and that dumb Nintendo Video word art (seriously, looks like the whole video was made of 3D word art text). i tried ESE_MD5, thinking maybe they're lining up videos to come next, but no go. i wish somebody somewhere have download EVERY video for the US and made it available for download somewhere else, but asking for links to that would probably be a bad idea around here.

still, somebody should do that. download Nintendo Video clips, and upload it to a fileserver somewhere, so that WE can control what video we put in the app, and not Nintendo. it's about damn time we get a grip on that, and not the other way around. if anybody out there had downloaded all the previous files, go upload it and tag it, so that we can search it. even though they're not that good, we still wanna see it.
... fff.. I haven't downloaded a single video yet.

meganoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I start up nintendo video (with a us 3ds by the way) it says it can download videos but it hasn't yet, I followed all the steps from the first post. How long does it usually take for the 4 videos to start downloading?

Silex

Trophies
XP
Country
I have done all of the steps mentioned. I am living in Turkey, using USA region 3DS. At first, i have installed Abyss Web Server. Then I have downloaded 4 videos, and put in "C:\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\1\49\1" folder. At last, i used Simple Dns Plus, with the zone name of "pubus-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net" and my computer IP (192.168.2.5). Of course i changed primary and secondary dns numbers on 3DS to this IP number.. But all of these resulted in failure. When i press "connection check" button, i receive "error code:004-2010 An error has occured. Please try again later."

What should i do now? Does anyone have an idea of where the problem is?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
@nintendoom: you should. hide my ass doesn't work for me, so ATM i'm sticking with that stealthy add-on for firefox. anyways, currently downloading ESE_MD2 (slow as heck though, as i'm using Sun Wireless Broadband 3G modem).

@meganoob: as long as the videos you downloaded from Nintendo US server is complete and not corrupted, they should be fine. try connection check on the app again. if nothing is still working, you might wanna backtrack a few steps. make sure the webserver is up, and that there are no typos with the URLs. and the 3DS settings should reflect the URL you're using (US 3DS, set country to US, language to english--those are my settings anyway). and the videos must come from a US region server for it to work on US 3DSes. the URL for those are same with the sample US link:

http://pubus-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/49/1/ESE_MD1 (ESE_MD2, ESE_MD3, ESE_MD4)

but i'm pretty sure that, theoretically, if after setting up the DNS server, and the 3DS connection test succeeds, then the Nintendo Video app should be able to download just fine.

@Silex: sounds like there's something wrong with your access point. not sure exactly though, but if you got an access point and your 3DS can connect fine with it before, then technically even after setting up the DNS server the app should be able to go through with the download. double check that you're using the correct IP address (try to backtrack on some of the steps, and maybe have a look at some of the links involving which IP address to use).

also, make sure the IP you guys are using are connecting to your COMPUTER, not the router's IP (am i correct in this assumption?), because you're connecting to the computer and NOT to the internet. i can't quite explain this, because i'm not using a wireless router (only using a SoftAP, emulated by a USB wifi adapter).

i hope that helps. good luck with the downloads!

EDIT: dunno if this helps, but i think it does. once you guys have a proper setup (web server, DNS server, 3DS connection settings with modified DNS), and have already downloaded at least 1 video successfully to your 3DS, you can just turn the DNS setting back to Yes (Auto DNS). as long as the DNS server is up (and everything else is set just right), the Nintendo Video app will connect FIRST to your DNS server. i just did this after downloading ESE_MD2 (College Humor Bear Shark), and i forgot to turn the DNS setting on my 3DS connection to No (to use specified DNS addresses), but it still downloaded just fine. so yeah, not much to go by, but at least you don't have to tinker with the connection settings on your 3DS anymore. it still connects just fine anywhere else (eShop, web browser), but to be sure, just kill the DNS server so it doesn't get redirected to that.

meganoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, ferofax.

When I type in ipconfig on cmd the numbers it gives me is 10.1.1.7, does that sound right?

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
ferofax said:
@nintendoom: you should. hide my ass doesn't work for me, so ATM i'm sticking with that stealthy add-on for firefox. anyways, currently downloading ESE_MD2 (slow as heck though, as i'm using Sun Wireless Broadband 3G modem).

I just finished downloading all the videos. And the last vid [Nintendo Video Intro thingy] is a waste of space.

cherryduck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TyRaNtM said:
nintendoom said:
doesn't this affect other games using wifi?

Just download and after that, put off the DNS in 3DS Internet Connection Setup, and that's all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: I just notice that the file, is where the video is located in the screen, i mean:

[ESE_MD1][ESE_MD2]
[ESE_MD3][ESE_MD4]

I think that is the order of the videos in the Nintendo Video screen.
So, we can put wherever video we want, just renaming the file.
For example, you can have 4 screens of the same video if you want.

NOT TRUE. The 3DS will put the files in their correct locations once it has downloaded them. For example if I rename ESP_MD1 to ESP_MD4, during the download the download progress will be shown in the spot for the fourth video, but once it has downloaded it the video will show up at it's correct position. Clearly the video files contain within them meta information, such as what position they should occupy in the Nintendo Video app and what date they expire.

Punx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'm having a similar problem as Silex. When I press "check connection", it just stays on the checking screen for a long time (few minutes), and then it gives me an error message.

I've been watching the DNS program and it is receiving and responding to the request for pubus-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net and returning my computers IP properly. But nothing seems to happen after that stage...

cherryduck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For those having trouble, download and install Wireshark. Run that while you attempt to download videos from the Nintendo Video/your own server and you will be able to see several "GET" requests, use this to check that you have your directory paths correct in the HTTP server.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
cherryduck said:
WiiBricker said:
Stealthy doesn't work at all for me. There is no little red or green icon in the bottom right of my Firefox window.

In Firefox go to Tools, Add-ons, and check that it's installed properly. Failing that, Stealthy isn't the only way to direct your browser through a proxy, Google for proxy websites which you can access directly or lists which you can use in conjunction with other Firefox Add-ons.

I'm not an idiot. Of course I've checked if it is installed properly and it is. Still no red or green icon in the bottom of my firefox window.

cherryduck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wasn't intending to imply that, the people who access this forum have different levels of technical knowledge so I can't assume anything. Some people would be able to set this up with purely the instructions "set up a DNS server and an HTTP server" whereas others need more help, doesn't make them idiots. Knowing nothing about you I can't assume any particular level of knowledge. Have you tried googling for proxy sites? Which region do you need to download from?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Actually I was trying this out just to see if it works, but I'm curious why Stealthy does not work for me. Of course there all alternatives but I would really like to know the reason why it doesn't work.

Silex

Trophies
XP
Country
As i mentioned before, i was having an error message although i have done all steps correctly. I finally managed to solve the problem
biggrin.gif
I am very happy right now
biggrin.gif

Here is the tip: I was using Abyss Web Server. As default, port number was "8000" in the configuration page of Abyss Web Server. I changed it to "80" (seems as default http port). Problem solved.

cherryduck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm glad you have it sorted
smile.gif
. The Abyss Web Server normally defaults to port 80 so it's possible you had something running which was using port 80 when you installed it, Skype for example uses port 80. For other people with connection problems, make sure your web server is running on port 80!

Punx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Yeah I figured out it was the port 80 problem too... but having troubles setting Abyss to use port 80.. it keeps saying "Listening error" which means another program is using the port... but I dont have any other web servers runnin, no skype, not even messenger...
Thought I could use port forwarding or something to fix it but hasnt been working either....

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
Punx said:
Yeah I figured out it was the port 80 problem too... but having troubles setting Abyss to use port 80.. it keeps saying "Listening error" which means another program is using the port... but I dont have any other web servers runnin, no skype, not even messenger...
Thought I could use port forwarding or something to fix it but hasnt been working either....
that means another abyss server is running.
Open your task manager, then click the processes tab, and look for the abyss server x2 (forgot the name, sorry
tongue.gif
) then click end process then open the abyss web server again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol