Nintendo to skip Direct this E3, Treehouse only

Untitled-2.png

Although Nintendo has not held a traditional press conference at E3 since 2012, for the last 3 years they have at least had a pre-filmed Nintendo Direct showing.

Unfortunately, even that is not the case this year and they have recently announced that their only showing for E3 2016 will be in the form of a live-streamed Nintendo Treehouse event devoted entirely to the new The Legend of Zelda game for both Wii U and the forthcoming NX.

The game will also be playable in some form at E3 so we can expect the game to be quite far along.

The currently titled The Legend of Zelda for both Wii U and NX is due to release sometime in 2017.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: Prans and nxwing

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
they easily reach like 100 times more people online anyway. why would they spend time and money on a dumb convention in the us when anything they say there is mainly watched as a rerun online anyway?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's more optimized due to standardized hardware, and it doesn't score that well - it's adequate at best, and considering the price tag of the device you'll get better performance to dollar ratio on Android. Case and point, the Galaxy S7 blows the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus right out of the water (6,466 vs 4,404 vs 4,407) in GeekBench 3 Multi-core and costs roughly the same amount of money.

https://infogr.am/geekbench_3_multi_core_scores

iPhones shine when they use brand-spanking-new technology in their custom chips, but that's not the case every iteration. I wouldn't call them low-end devices, but the performance to price point ratio isn't exactly satisfactory on Apple devices, not to mention the many other shortcomings they suffer from.

I know that, but I see many people calling it a low-end device when this is far from true.
It only has a dual-core cpu, when most high-end androids have 8-core cpus, but an A9 core have a lot more transistors than a Snapdragon or Exynos core.
People talk about their camera only having 8MP but forget that the lens the camera uses usually is much more important that MP.
Galaxy S7 just came out, while iPhone 6S has been here for a while, I think it's a little unfair to compare both,
I could compare iPhone 6S with Nexus 6P, and in this case iPhone still gets better in benchmarks.

I also would like to highlight these:

Optimization
Metal > OpenGL ES 3.0
xCode > Android Studio
Swift and Objective-C are compiled, while Java pretty much uses a VM to run, not sure if you've seem this:
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2016/04/07/google-facebook-uber-swift/

Last edited by VMM,

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Usually, right before E3 we have a thread to discuss it and put our hype and expectations, and this thread has a poll for voting which E3 do you think will be the best. Year after year people keep voting for Nintendo, usually they say "Last year sucked, so I bet this one will be good". I wonder how many will vote for Nintendo even when they're not even on E3 anymore.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know that, but I see many people calling it a low-end device when this is far from true.
It only has a dual-core cpu, when most high-end androids have 8-core cpus, but an A9 core have a lot more transistors than a Snapdragon or Exynos core.
People talk about their camera only having 8MP but forget that the lens the camera uses usually is much more important that MP.
Galaxy S7 just came out, while iPhone 6S has been here for a while, I think it's a little unfair to compare both,
I could compare iPhone 6S with Nexus 6P, and in this case iPhone still gets better in benchmarks.

I also would like to highlight these:

Optimization
Metal > OpenGL ES 3.0
xCode > Android Studio
Swift and Objective-C are compiled, while Java pretty much uses a VM to run, not sure if you've seem this:
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2016/04/07/google-facebook-uber-swift/

Android does use a VM, but it can also use compiled native code - it's compatible with both. I chose the S7 because of the price point is virtually the same, there are older phones which also match my criteria.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Android does use a VM, but it can also use compiled native code - it's compatible with both. I chose the S7 because of the price point is virtually the same, there are older phones which also match my criteria.

IIRC you can use C++/C to do some stuff, but most high-end Android APIs are only available in Java.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
IIRC you can use C++/C to do some stuff, but most high-end Android APIs are only available in Java.
You can't have your cake and eat it - you can either use a low-level programming language or high-level API's, that's true on all platforms. "High-end" API's are available in both "modes", everything depends on what you're coding.

Regarding the A9 and the Snapdragon/Exynos, I've never heard of anyone complaining about having "too many cores". There are two ways to go about designing a chip like this - boost the size of cores or their amount. The A9 cores can have more transistors because the CPU doesn't have 8 of them on-board. You can't have both - it would throw the thermal and energy profiles off the scale. There's no magical hocus pocus tech in that CPU, it's manufactured by Samsung, among others.

And just to be clear, I think both iOS and Android suck, neither platform is really "good", Android is just the lesser evil.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can't have your cake and eat it - you can either use a low-level programming language or high-level API's, that's true on all platforms. "High-end" API's are available in both "modes", everything depends on what you're coding.

Regarding the A9 and the Snapdragon/Exynos, I've never heard of anyone complaining about having "too many cores". There are two ways to go about designing a chip like this - boost the size of cores or their amount. The A9 cores can have more transistors because the CPU doesn't have 8 of them on-board. You can't have both - it would throw the thermal and energy profiles off the scale. There's no magical hocus pocus tech in that CPU, it's manufactured by Samsung, among others.

And just to be clear, I think both iOS and Android suck, neither platform is really "good", Android is just the lesser evil.

I'm not saying it is a problem for it to have 8 cores, just that number of cores alone doesn't mean much.
Architecture and number of transistors and clock speed are very influential.

Anyway, enough off-topic discussion, I've already received 2 warnings for that. let's get back to Nintendo.

I think it's pretty idiotic for them to do this.
The E3 is the perfect place to announce their new console, businessmen, developers and consumers are with their eyes open for it. They'll release it on March next year. It will be released before even been shown on E3.

Though this year's 3DS and WiiU lineup isn't that great, they could still show us a bit of the new Pokémon, and Dragon Quest VII

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)