Nintendo to charge for online services?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And people pay 15 dollars a month to play one game, World of WarCraft so it's not so silly to be paying a yearly subscription fee like XBL.

And yes, as my signature shows, I am a WoW player who can afford to play it and enjoy the game. I would have no issues with paying a yearly service fee for my consoles if it meant I was getting a lot for it. 50 bucks to pay more money for DLC on XBL is a bit much, but Microsoft does have to maintain the service and keep that content and information hosted some how.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, apart from my inability to do so, I wouldn't mind paying for an online Nintendo service if they fixed it up a bit. There is no reason we have to deal with friend codes --- I mean, it's basically a username mandated to you for each and every online game that you get...that's just really long and easy to mess up. There is rarely any voice chat options, despite having Wii Speak (which is highly underrated and underused), and very few games even support online multiplayer (and those that do execute it poorly)! There is no way I would ever pay for what they have now -- it's practically unusable (exaggeration)!

I suppose the validity of having paid online services really hinges on whether or not third parties use it. I mean, other than Brawl and MH3, and maybe something like Animal Crossing one or two times, who actually uses it?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with making us pay for online capabilities? That was a major turnoff for me toward the Xbox, and that console has merit. The Wii and DS definitely don't have one single online capability worth paying for. Terrible lag, stupid friend codes, incredibly difficult to speak (like on a mic or something) online, community full of very little children, stupid people, et cetera. I don't even want to pay for PSN even if it did get upgraded capabilities. What's the point of installing the internet for free if we have to pay for it later in the console's life? It's ridiculous. Those greedy bastards...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
geoflcl said:
Nope, paying for online is a bad, bad idea.

Why do Xbox guys pay for Live? ...So they can get online to have to pay for more stuff? Paying once is plenty.
Yeah because we all know how reliable PSN is for the PS3
rolleyes.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uncle FEFL said:
What's with making us pay for online capabilities? That was a major turnoff for me toward the Xbox, and that console has merit. The Wii and DS definitely don't have one single online capability worth paying for. Terrible lag, stupid friend codes, incredibly difficult to speak (like on a mic or something) online, community full of very little children, stupid people, et cetera. I don't even want to pay for PSN even if it did get upgraded capabilities. What's the point of installing the internet for free if we have to pay for it later in the console's life? It's ridiculous. Those greedy bastards...
Then do you propose for all online games the cost of the game be raised 20 dollars to cover all the costs of maintaining service between consoles, gamer profile information and hosting DLC and patches?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
Then do you propose for all online games the cost of the game be raised 20 dollars to cover all the costs of maintaining service between consoles, gamer profile information and hosting DLC and patches?
No, I propose for it to stay FREE because I already spent $50-$60 on it, so I expect it to include all that. Paying an extra ten to fifteen bucks for no effort on their part seems pretty ridiculous, no? Battlefield: Bad Company 2's map packs are free, why does everyone else have to take more money from us?

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
No, I propose for it to stay FREE because I already spent $50-$60 on it, so I expect it to include all that. Paying an extra ten to fifteen bucks for no effort on their part seems pretty ridiculous, no? Battlefield: Bad Company 2's map packs are free, why does everyone else have to take more money from us?

maintaining an extensive and somewhat decent online system like xbl/psn doesn't come cheap. psn is free, but sony were prepared to offer free online over the 360 for forking out the extra bucks on release. and its not like they have to worry about piracy.

forking out $5-10 an extra month for fullblown online system isn't much extra on top considering how focused nintendo is on playing with others. a majority of the games now would be much better online if they had a decent anti-cheat, dedicated servers proper friendlisting e.t.c but nintendo just wouldn't want to pour all that money into something they'd get little return on. they know piracy is rampant on their platforms.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think its garbage mainly because some games use peer 2 peer i.e grand slam tennis where it connects to a main server then when you play with someone it connects directly to a player, at least I read somewhere when I had issues playing online, so really if some games were p2p nintendo would be charging you to use your own bandwidth, or all the current games which fall into this section would become obsolete due to change of coding, I hope they dont try to do this, maybe for the next wii console but not this one

my 2 cents

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo has an online service ??? XD

well except Monster Hunter I hardly ever played any game on wii online ...
I tried Mario Kart once but cuz i really disliked the game it remained with that one try and smash bros once as well but cuz i dislike this game as well it sayed with that one try as well ... (I loved MarioKart and Smash brothers on N64 but since NGC both sucked bad in my opinion)

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
I'm not paying for nothing like that >.>
dry.gif

They're not expecting you to pay for NOTHING. They expect you to pay for SOMETHING. So if you declare that you're not paying for NOTHING, fantastic (though obvious, and therefore redundant to point out - who in their right mind would pay for NOTHING?). But I think the point of this thread is whether people will pay for SOMETHING...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You've been offering the current system for free for so long that you can't turn around and charge for it so quickly without some serious form of improvements. If you do then you will get a HUGE backlash Nintendo. Save it for your next home console, please?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Styles420 said:
KingVamp said:
I'm not paying for nothing like that >.>
dry.gif

They're not expecting you to pay for NOTHING. They expect you to pay for SOMETHING. So if you declare that you're not paying for NOTHING, fantastic (though obvious, and therefore redundant to point out - who in their right mind would pay for NOTHING?). But I think the point of this thread is whether people will pay for SOMETHING...
what i mean too say is that I'm not paying any game company for online services.
dry.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see Nintendo charging. I'm sure they realize a lot of their customers are children, and most parents are annoyed enough at having to buy the console and $40-$50+ each for games.

If Nintendo improved their online service, I'd be willing to pay a (nominal) fee once a year (maybe $25, at the most... I mean, what's $25 a year anyway?), but the vast majority of their customers probably wouldn't want to. The the casual crowd is stupid enough that a lot of them probably wouldn't even buy a console if it had a paid online service (which is going to become a more important feature in the future, I think), simply because the idea of it intimidated them.

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Honestly, apart from my inability to do so, I wouldn't mind paying for an online Nintendo service if they fixed it up a bit. There is no reason we have to deal with friend codes --- I mean, it's basically a username mandated to you for each and every online game that you get...that's just really long and easy to mess up. There is rarely any voice chat options, despite having Wii Speak (which is highly underrated and underused), and very few games even support online multiplayer (and those that do execute it poorly)! There is no way I would ever pay for what they have now -- it's practically unusable (exaggeration)!

I suppose the validity of having paid online services really hinges on whether or not third parties use it. I mean, other than Brawl and MH3, and maybe something like Animal Crossing one or two times, who actually uses it?

they dont want children to accidently give out their personal info and end up getting raped by a huge penis that can somehow fit inside of them
mellow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why does the health behavior exist if you can just use a variable?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and nope the number still doesnt change
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok im gonna make my own asset
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm i think i fixed it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I fixed it
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    how are you\
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, we just talked like 2 hours ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had the Goodyear blimp fly real low right over my house this morning, was weird out of nowhere looking up and seeing it that close up. Memorial golf tourney going on by me in Dublin Ohio and its there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tried the gdevelop mobile app and theres a event limit and you have to pay to add more events
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I never used the mobile or online versions, just the pc version.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only use the online version
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was at the bar for 1 hour and lost $40 playing pool, and said well that's enough for my unlucky day, better quit. Some sharks up there today.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, did you get drunk?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I don't drink much when i goto bar, cause I driving, or if/when I do, ill take a uber/cab home. But I'm working on it now tho I'm home, beer n whiskey shots today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's afraid he might wake up next to ancientboi the next day
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a "Scared Straight" moment that would be.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: What a "Scared Straight" moment that would be.