Nintendo To Begin YouTube Affiliate Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The movie analogy people seem to be fond of doesn't work because video games aren't movies.

Duh, I know.

Still, you can only watch a movie, whereas in games, the player's interaction is the defining, central feature. People watching a Let's Play are getting an inherently incomplete experience - basically an excerpt. Plus, Let's Plays are (arguably) transformative works - it's the commentary and commentators that define them, not necessarily the games themselves.
Of course it's not a perfect 1:1 match, but the issue still stands that the contents of the video game are owned by Nintendo or whomever. Just because it is an interactive medium does not mean that anything less than selling fully interactive copies is not copyright infringement. And the transformative argument holds no more water than the same argument for MST3k. People watched it for the commentary, but the makers still had to pay licensing fees for movies that were not in the public domain.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hmm. Interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks.

According to http://www.wholetsplay.com/wiki/doku.php
M$ is a Permission to Let's play = Yes, with some conditions - reference: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Community/Developer/Rules

Nintendo is a Maybe.
Maybe the restriction is Let's play Youtubers cant make money ?

Anyone know if MS actually issued takedown notices like Nintendo did ?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Congratulations! Your "Nintendo" has evolved into a "Facepalm"!

Seriously...why Nintendo? Why must you be the same spoiled brat everytime? Dear god....services like YouTube and other free streaming websites provide you ADVERTISING.

Yet you continue to slap your own costumers with your incomprehensible stupidity regarding YouTube. Grow the fuck up Nintendo.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
"you dedicate your time and effort to film and edit the videos and we'll take the money for your work, that's totally fair"

Only if you use Nintendo assets, and only if you're earning money by using them. No company or business entity that takes themselves seriously will allow anyone to make money off of their property without a cut. I thought that's a widely-accepted business principle. I mean, if I make a product, and people make videos of my product and earn money while I don't get anything -- that doesn't sound quite right, right? So we either agree to some sort of royalty, or they stop earning money off of my product. It's not greed, it's only fair. What's not fair is people earning money from my product while I don't get any. That's called charity. Or squatting. I dunno.

Ah, but then again, consumers rarely think about the other side of the fence -- too busy being a consumer.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only if you use Nintendo assets, and only if you're earning money by using them. No company or business entity that takes themselves seriously will allow anyone to make money off of their property without a cut. I thought that's a widely-accepted business principle. I mean, if I make a product, and people make videos of my product and earn money while I don't get anything -- that doesn't sound quite right, right? So we either agree to some sort of royalty, or they stop earning money off of my product. It's not greed, it's only fair. What's not fair is people earning money from my product while I don't get any. That's called charity. Or squatting. I dunno.

Ah, but then again, consumers rarely think about the other side of the fence -- too busy being a consumer.

Ninty isn't getting nothing. They get free advertisement.
Free advertisement = more units sold = ??? = Profit

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They should absolutely be demonized for profiting from someone's effort that went into editing video and making an interesting show out of mere gameplay footage. It's fair use and only a fraction of the total product, it's made by passionate gamers who go out of their way to advertise products they enjoy. Splitting profits from monetizing video is a step forwards but Nintendo still has a lot to learn from companies like Microsoft in this regard. The Halo phenomenon wouldn't be nearly as big as it is if not for shows like Red vs. Blue - Microsoft acknowledged and cherished that as an intrinsic part of the fanbase, Nintendo just wants additional income.
Hm, I think so too.

Can't understand Nintendo sometimes.. did I really say "sometimes"?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an assumption, not a fact. Still does not change the fact that they have not licensed the material and thus do not have a right to profit on it. Look at Wreck It Ralph. It had Bowser in the movie, and in order to bring him in, they had to work out a deal with Nintendo despite how small of a role he played in the movie. With Let's Plays, they take even more intellectual property by having not just characters, but the actual game that was done by Nintendo. No matter how you slice it, these people do not have the right to profit off of someone else's work without their permission no regardless of any supposed benefits it provides.

And it's not like Nintendo need's this kind of advertising. People who watch Let's Plays are already pretty into video games, and those people will already know Nintendo games. This isn't a case like Amnesia where you have an indie developer getting exposure from people who didn't know anything about them or their game.

Reactions: ferofax

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an assumption, not a fact. Still does not change the fact that they have not licensed the material and thus do not have a right to profit on it. Look at Wreck It Ralph. It had Bowser in the movie, and in order to bring him in, they had to work out a deal with Nintendo despite how small of a role he played in the movie. With Let's Plays, they take even more intellectual property by having not just characters, but the actual game that was done by Nintendo. No matter how you slice it, these people do not have the right to profit off of someone else's work without their permission no regardless of any supposed benefits it provides.

And it's not like Nintendo need's this kind of advertising. People who watch Let's Plays are already pretty into video games, and those people will already know Nintendo games. This isn't a case like Amnesia where you have an indie developer getting exposure from people who didn't know anything about them or their game.

So why then do other companies like Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, etc not have any beef with those who upload content? AFAIK, Sega doesn't mind people doing it at all.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

thats what they said about pirating pc games way back when too. same thing with music pirates and people playing music on parties (which is basically illegal, same as having a dvd evening with more than your closest household members).

be honest, a lets play is on a whole different level than lets say, a fan review or someone making vids like the videogame nerd. advertisement is short and doesnt require the whole game to be showcased.

irregardless of lets plays actually having any advertising value at all, it remains a fact that nintendo has every right to be against them or require monetary compensation for them. if sony or microsoft dont do that, its their loss (though I'm pretty sure they too, have some rules on lets plays)

So why then do other companies like Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, etc not have any beef with those who upload content? AFAIK, Sega doesn't mind people doing it at all.

because they believe that the gains outweight the losses here. its pretty simple, no matter how you look at it, the effects of lets plays on sales cant be measured. it can only be believed in.
it sounds like a nice little theory that more videos on youtube mean more sales of a game. but its nothing more than that, a theory with no proof and no way to prove it. and honestly, it goes along the lines of 'piracy and hacking give new life to a console'.

personally, i believe lets plays to have either no or a negative effect on sales, while reviews have either no or a positive effect (in case the game gets a good review that is). that is because the lets play offers the watcher the whole game, every storyline element, every plot twist, every battle and every boss. all it withholds is the aspect of doing it yourself. which is a noissue for most people, if you watch a whole lets play it stands to reason you either have the game already and want to know how good or bad you do compared to someone else, or want to learn a few tricks and secrets. or you dont want to buy it / cant play it due to lack of console, but want to know how it is and what happens so you can talk with others (which is what half my brothers class does. they all have an opinion on most ps4 games, while only two actually own said console).
while the review only gives people an overview, a few good and bad points and a personal opinion. pretty much what every add on tv and all other media has been for the last few decades. a tried and true formula. because if all you need to buy is an advertisment, you dont need 25 hours of gameplay footage.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I thought Sega took out a lot of footage for various things a while back?
http://www.destructoid.com/sega-forcing-removal-of-shining-force-videos-on-youtube-239581.phtml
Granted there was http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...romises-not-to-do-it-again-with-caveats.shtml later on.

Also http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules
You may post your Item to a page or website that has advertising, but only if you do not earn any money from that advertising. For example, if you post your video on Youtube or Vimeo and there happens to be an advertisement next to it, then as long as you don't get paid for that advertisement, the fact that there is an advertisement on the page doesn't break these Rules. But enrolling in the Youtube partner program (or other similar programs), where you are entering into an agreement to get paid, is not allowed. On a similar note, if you create and distribute a free app, then you can't earn any money from advertising in that app.

I already linked
http://letsplaylist.wikia.com/wiki/"Let's_Play"-friendly_developers_Wiki

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Luckily, my videos don't get nearly enough views to generate profit, so for now, I don't have to be too worried, nevertheless, I'll be on my toes.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they not? I dunno, I don't really follow it. But regardless, any other company's ideas of what people can do with their IPs has no bearing on Nintendo.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they not? I dunno, I don't really follow it. But regardless, any other company's ideas of what people can do with their IPs has no bearing on Nintendo.

I've had a troll flag my video under the name of a British magazine for a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 clip I uploaded, but other than that. Why it was under that I've no clue. My videos don't get enough views to have me worried.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a troll flag my video under the name of a British magazine for a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 clip I uploaded, but other than that. Why it was under that I've no clue. My videos don't get enough views to have me worried.
Even if your videos did have enough views, the point of this thread is that Nintendo is creating an affiliate program that splits the money between Nintendo, Youtube, and the video maker, not taking down the videos.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait people actually click on those shitty ads? O.o

I fail to see how anybody actually makes money off YouTube
Ads don't need to be clicked on to be successful. A lot of it is just brand awareness and getting into people's minds. I mean, Television and Print had ads long before you could click on an advertisement.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Comparing Let's plays with cinema movies is kinda dumb tbh. and even if you are not claiming to have created the game shown in a Let's Play, the characters of a game don't have a cameo in your videos, your videos are about them. Also keep in mind that you are earning money from the Ad service that YouTube presents not from selling your Let's Play's. That's a huge difference that people tend to forget.
Wreck it Ralph is a product that you bought. Earning money through a product that uses copyrighted assets or characters is illegal unless both companies are okay with it (in other words the creators of the movie have to pay).
Let's Plays is a hobby that you don't buy to watch. Lets Players earn money because they activated ads provided by YouTube not because they sell videos that use copyrighted assets or characters.
If ninty should leech from somebodies money then it's the amount of money that YouTube earns, not the creator of the video.

thats what they said about pirating pc games way back when too. same thing with music pirates and people playing music on parties (which is basically illegal, same as having a dvd evening with more than your closest household members).

be honest, a lets play is on a whole different level than lets say, a fan review or someone making vids like the videogame nerd. advertisement is short and doesnt require the whole game to be showcased.

irregardless of lets plays actually having any advertising value at all, it remains a fact that nintendo has every right to be against them or require monetary compensation for them. if sony or microsoft dont do that, its their loss (though I'm pretty sure they too, have some rules on lets plays)

You can be how the industry wants you to be, a moronic customer who gets hyped about something from a trailer showing only the cool stuff. You can also be a smart guy saying that you want to see some actual uncut gameplay footage before buying a game. I make my decisions from the second option. And companies like Capcom even do Livestreams on games like Monster hunter 3U or lately even the Gameboy Megaman games that recently came out on the E-Shop.
I personally never liked pirating video games since I only did it because I was poor. But I can confirm that even if I haven't owned the game I was recommending it to other people which is free advertisement. If you get people talk about your game you are more likely selling more copies. Now that I grew up and got a job I am slowly buying every game that I ever pirated (steam does most of the job actually). I made a list if you are curious.

Anyway... Am I the only one who is suspecting YT doing stuff like that because of the YouTube upload feature in MK8?
In theory this could be a gold mine for them.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
By the YouTube affiliate program gets up and running ... Nintendo won't have to worry about "YouTube LP pirates" because no one will care about Nintendo.
So few games to review ... who will care ?

Nintendo is an embarrassing company.
They can't make any reasonable decisions.
Instead of admitting they shouldn't have fussed about YouTube Videos ... they make a partial backtrack to save face ?
Losers.
Gutless losers.

Nintendo should beg people to review their videos at this stage.

Nintendo: Penny Wise, Pound foolish (TM)

You clearly hate Nintendo so guess it's time to change that Mario avatar.

I don't like their actions here and there, but the games they release tend to be pretty addictive for hours and hours.

By the way, if people didn't care about Nintendo products the price of rare or out of print Nintendo games would drop considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: