Hacking Nintendo Switch "Cartridge Backup/Backup Loader" Discussion

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Stealing: The appropriation of content without permission (ie. taking/copying without purchase).

It doesn't have to be physical or digital. If you take content without permission via methods not approved, it's stealing.

What you SHOULD be arguing is the effect that stealing digital items has on a company. If I "copy" something I had no intention on buying in the first place, is there a loss of profit for the person I "copied" from? No, probably not. However, the bottom line is that you're still "stealing".

Last edited by Deathscreton,

Salazar-DE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand not wanting to carry around a bunch of game cards. Losing hundreds of hours of gameplay is worse than losing the $60 game card. I also understand the merits of having a collection.

Digital downloads can't be displayed on a shelf.
For that reason, an eShop purchase just won't cut it.

And you can't get digital games signed! I want my copy of Splatoon 2 signed by literally anyone at Nintendo, however I got the digital download with the Splatoon 2 bundle... So I am shit out of luck.

Really? What exactly will it ruin? Can you show me instances of it ruining anything?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/13/psp-and-ds-piracy-explained-in-pictures/

Pictures say a thousand words, I'd say that sale data is the most succinct way to show how damaging piracy can be. Just look at the massive difference there.

And here...

In a recent interview with Gamasutra, Sony Computer Entertainment America senior vice president of publisher relations Rob Dyer blamed piracy and a lack of American publisher support for the PSP's low sales in North America.

"That's been the biggest problem, no question about it. It's become a very difficult proposition to be profitable, given the piracy right now. And the fact that the category shrunk inside of retail," he said.

"There's a number of titles from American publishers that will be there, but are we getting full-line support? No. I'm not going to b******* you on that."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/low-psp-sales-due-to-piracy-sony/1100-6263607/

The PSP had a rough go with piracy. I know most people don't care, and that it doesn't directly hurt others, but it is still a problem. Let's try not to make a massive deal over piracy for the Switch or some retailers who will want to support our beloved platform might opt to only support their PC releases instead.

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last legit NEW nintendo game i bought was Perfect Dark for the N64 at $90 back in my country of origin. Because of how shafted i felt when I grew up; nowadays, I either pay close to nothing on 2nd hand copies or pirate out of sheer disrespect to the gaming pricing culture.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I understand not wanting to carry around a bunch of game cards. Losing hundreds of hours of gameplay is worse than losing the $60 game card. I also understand the merits of having a collection.

Digital downloads can't be displayed on a shelf.
For that reason, an eShop purchase just won't cut it.
Buy empty game cases and display those.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, until inevitably the eShop gets shut down, and you can no longer re-download any of your games.
You do realize that the Switch is 1 year old right?
This isn't the Wii Shop or DSi Shop case, those consoles had their software tied to the console and that's it. Nowadays its tied to the account and who knows if Nintendo's next console won't have backwards compatibility.

Now towards the topic: I rarely pirate anymore (unless you count downloading Infamous for my PS3 to which I own the copy of the disc but the Blu-Ray drive is busted), once I start downloading games it loses its value thus I won't play them because I didn't paid for them, at least if I pay for them I know they cost me and I'll play, even if its to give it a try.

Last edited by Yepi69,

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy empty game cases and display those.

I think you misunderstood me.
I'm a gamer. Since I've poured months of my life into single games, I'd like to keep my data safe.
I'm a collector. I buy my games and I'd like to keep my collection safe.
The best solution is a backup loader and dumps of my personal game cards.

Buy empty cases? Yeah no. When showing off my collection that's quite unimpressive. I'd be better off dumpster diving behind GameStop and getting cases for free. And that's exactly what people will think I did if I try to pass off a bunch of empty cases as a collection.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think you misunderstood me.
I'm a gamer. Since I've poured months of my life into single games, I'd like to keep my data safe.
I'm a collector. I buy my games and I'd like to keep my collection safe.
The best solution is a backup loader and dumps of my personal game cards.

Buy empty cases? Yeah no. When showing off my collection that's quite unimpressive. I'd be better off dumpster diving behind GameStop and getting cases for free. And that's exactly what people will think I did if I try to pass off a bunch of empty cases as a collection.
Then buy them twice. If you're a pirate, admit it. If you're not, then don't try and invent some circumstance where it is OK (the one you've come up with is incredibly thin). You just come off as a hypocrite.

Reactions: Salazar-DE

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then buy them twice. If you're a pirate, admit it. If you're not, then don't try and invent some circumstance where it is OK (the one you've come up with is incredibly thin). You just come off as a hypocrite.

Still missing my point. If you played a game for over 1,000 hours and the card was lost or damaged/data corrupted then maybe you would see past your high and mighty point of view I suppose.
You come off as a tool. Frig off with your accusational tone.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Still missing my point. If you played a game for over 1,000 hours and the card was lost or damaged/data corrupted then maybe you would see past your high and mighty point of view I suppose.
You come off as a tool. Frig off with your accusational tone.
How is having a pirated copy going to help that? The data is still on your console. The save isn't kept on the cartridge.

I am quite happy to pirate as soon as the option becomes available. You however are claiming to be against piracy but are trying to find a way to justify it - pirating yet staying ethical. It just does not work.

D

Deleted User

upload_2018-5-3_20-31-59.png

Anyways, why did you make this thread before anything comes to fruition?

Reactions: -----a

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if you include games mods I am sure many would fit perfectly in backup process.
Actually that how I use backup loader in general I rarely ''pirate'' for fun most of time I try if I am pleased like I was with many game on wii or 3ds I just buy it and continue to use my backup to preserve my physical game in perfect condition :)
same here i just can't wait for mods to come out for mario odyseey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=7&pp=8AUB