Hacking PS1/2 Tonyhax International: Backup Loader For All Japanese, USA, and PAL PS1 Consoles/Early PS2 Consoles + GameShark/Cheat Cart Flasher

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It was a very unfortunate situation to install it to a memory card and then find out you have no way to uninstall it, because nothing on the PS2 can format the card after.
It was possible to use a PS2 for formatting the memory card.

Long time ago I found instructions somewhere to use some version of uLaunchELF to launch Memory card Annihilator and involving last-minute insertion of the FreePSXBoot memory card right before the formatting process, preventing it from crashing. I didn't remember if a good card was needed for swapping, but it did work back then, the FreePSXBoot card was returned into a state usable for game saves.

They linked that themself a few posts up, and doesn't answer my question? Sorry, I didn't mean to be annoying by infodumping there...

Honestly while it's a good guide its usefulness can be limited since none of these discs (except CMC Pro) are made anymore, so you have to get lucky finding new old stock. CMC Pro isn't even a common brand (I can't find it anywhere in Canada) and most stores don't even sell the crappy discs now, it's started to feel shocking when I see them in reality.

That said, my burner is almost one of the ones listed as bad (mine's a Sony AD-7260S) so I might need to try investigating the quality of the many other burners in my collection. And of course good old burners also can be hard to find...
If the PS1 is not too bad (or the oldest model?), my experience is that some easier to find CD-R will also work if burned using the right burner.

I have games on second-hand Sony/Xlyne/Platinum CD-R which are "bad" CMC media. And Philips which are Ritek. They all play without stutter on PS1 SCPH-5552 up to PS One SCPH-102 when burned with the ND-3550A and most with the DVR-107DB too. Sometimes discs with this CMC media code are still sold in the shops as white Verbatim "Extra Protection". Using the ND-3550A I had only 1 or 2 coasters after more then 25 games.

New in shop Verbatim AZO do work too when using this burner, but they seem to have a slightly higher chance of stuttering compared to the CMC/Ritek discs.

I believe the CMC Pro discs are really way better. But if you can't get them, those can be easier-to-get (and cheaper) alternatives.

At this moment I find it more difficult to get a good burner, because people threw them away back then. Some weeks ago there was a ND-3550A for 5 euros at the computer museum and I took it immediately.

Last edited by Fien,
Reactions: alexfree

alexfree

OP
Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
It was possible to use a PS2 for formatting the memory card.

Long time ago I found instructions somewhere to use some version of uLaunchELF to launch Memory card Annihilator and involving last-minute insertion of the FreePSXBoot memory card right before the formatting process, preventing it from crashing. I didn't remember if a good card was needed for swapping, but it did work back then, the FreePSXBoot card was returned into a state usable for game saves.

If the PS1 is not too bad (or the oldest model?), my experience is that some easier to find CD-R will also work if burned using the right burner.

I have games on second-hand Sony/Xlyne/Platinum CD-R which are "bad" CMC media. And Philips which are Ritek. They all play without stutter on PS1 SCPH-5552 up to PS One SCPH-102 when burned with the ND-3550A and most with the DVR-107DB too. Sometimes discs with this CMC media code are still sold in the shops as white Verbatim "Extra Protection". Using the ND-3550A I had only 1 or 2 coasters after more then 25 games.

New in shop Verbatim AZO do work too when using this burner, but they seem to have a slightly higher chance of stuttering compared to the CMC/Ritek discs.

I believe the CMC Pro discs are really way better. But if you can't get them, those can be easier-to-get alternatives.

At this moment I find it more difficult to get a good burner, because people threw them away back then. Some weeks ago there was a ND-3550A for 5 euros at the computer museum and I took it immediately.
That's all super janky tho, don't you think? I know of these methods to format FreePSXBoot memory cards besides what you mention:

1) Unirom (the **cough** competition)
2) Very recent MemCardRex via PS3MCA (PS3MCA is awesome!)
3) MottZilla's MCTool

There were reports that some games could format FreePSXBoot memory cards, but those all were not correct when I tried each game.

The problem with all the things that don't work with formatting freepsxboot is they try to read the contents before allowing to format it. And then they crash because well freepsxboot is meant to do just that, crash the system. The difference with my format function is I don't read the contents. Initialize the memory card, and format it. Simple. BIOS commands actually... no sdk is used by Tonyhax or Tonyhax International, we execute bios commands in MIPS ASM.

Also nice find on the burner!

Reactions: Fien

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/C47IzqSZBsQ?si=C8FGHzAc8TRvcnvg