Nintendo Switch "Cartridge Backup/Backup Loader" Discussion

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by LightOffPro, May 2, 2018.

1. LightOffPro
    OP

LightOffPro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Portugal
    Here it is, the thread that everyone wants but no one wants to admit it, even with the power of Anonymity in the interwebs.

GBATemp allows the DISCUSSION of homemade game backups. Although there are RULES that must be properly respected. Here are the rules. https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

This thread will inevitably appear, and its better to use a single thread to discuss it. Easier for the mods to moderate a single thread as well. Much like what happens with the 3DS forum ONLY DISCUSSION IS PERMITTED. NO LINKS WHATSOEVER.
    Since the main "freeshop" thread is still active on the 3DS forum, i assume that these types of homebrew tools are permitted for discussion.

I for one would love the convenience of not having to carry around my cartridges with me all the time.

Please behave.

2. jjbredesen

jjbredesen Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    In before the piracy wars begin.

Anyways there is no need for this now, there are no backup loaders and once one is released there will be a thread for it.

Last edited by jjbredesen, May 2, 2018
  3. Rune
    This message by Rune has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  4. Kubas_inko
    This message by Kubas_inko has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  5. jjbredesen
    This message by jjbredesen has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  6. Kubas_inko
    This message by Kubas_inko has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  7. Mrdx
    This message by Mrdx has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  8. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  9. Kubas_inko
    May 2, 2018
  10. theasker
    This message by theasker has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  11. Mrdx
    This message by Mrdx has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  12. jjbredesen
    This message by jjbredesen has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  13. Kubas_inko
    May 2, 2018
  14. Kazalber

Kazalber Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2017
    Guatemala
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself :P
    But for the sake of discussion:
    At this point, the only thing that could be said about a backup launcher (without getting into the whole messy moral conflict that comes with it) is if it's something devs should invest their time on or not.
    SciresM already stated that Ninty stepped their game up this time around and can track files, both NID and CID. So people won't be sharing their files like they do with 3DS ones.
    I think that the only option left is to dump cartridges and then share those like BBB does. :unsure:
    Am I making sense or just talking out of my ass? :wtf:

CallmeBerto and crazy_p like this.
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Legal backups bro.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  16. jjbredesen

jjbredesen Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    Yep, everything is now client specific splo no freeshop or Wii U USB helper.

Cart dumps will be how it works.

17. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    I think that's the way it should be, too! The Wii U warez scene got screwed up from the fact people could so easily download their pirated games directly from Nintendo's servers. It's not right for Nintendo to have their software stolen, and also their bandwidth. Give them a break. :) When BBB shares their method with other groups, or if other groups find out how to dump by themselves, the Switch warez scene will take off.

Minox and ByteBite like this.
  18. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    I'm not too sure what this thread is even trying to accomplish at this point in time. It may be months yet before this is even a thing. Once there are tools for this, they will (and should!) Get their own dedicated threads. Having a general purpose "warez loader discussion for a currently non existent loader here plox" thread doesn't really do anyone any good...because there's nothing to actually discuss.

CallmeBerto, jakkal and -----a like this.
  19. Samus20XX

Samus20XX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2018
    United States
    to stop posts like this https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-clo...ames-from-cartridges-on-the-home-menu.502648/
    and this https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-far-are-we-from-backup-loading.502681/

20. -----a

-----a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
  21. Deathscreton
    This message by Deathscreton has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  22. BL4Z3D247
    This message by BL4Z3D247 has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  23. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Yes, see i agree entirely. I am sick and tired of lugging my cartridges around. And before someone says "buy games on the eShop, that way you don't need cartridges" to that I say no. Because you see it's different cause I need to have a cartridge and also not want to use it because you see I have backup or wait I think okay let me try to explain. Celeste for example, great game but no cartridge. And I would like to back it up and write it to a cartridge and then not use it. Also it should be noted that I need to have a way to back up my eShop games too, then launch them at my will with a Homebrew iso launcher because I don't want to lose them. Also before you guys say I can just redownload them, to that I say hey what if I don't have internet right? Also Nintendo takes games of all the time what if tomorrow I in can't redownload Mario?

24. studio1b
    This message by studio1b has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  25. bobdamnit
    This message by bobdamnit has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 2, 2018
  26. SexiestManAlive
    This message by SexiestManAlive has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  27. jjbredesen
    May 3, 2018
  28. Natehaxx
    This message by Natehaxx has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  29. dragon_from_iso
    This message by dragon_from_iso has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  30. saneatsu
    This message by saneatsu has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  31. ehnoah
    This message by ehnoah has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  32. VzUh
    This message by VzUh has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  33. gameboy
    This message by gameboy has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/spammy.
    May 3, 2018
  34. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    But the Switch has no games worth "backing up"...

35. KingBlank
    This message by KingBlank has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: This isn't the EoF.
    May 3, 2018
  36. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    well if you include games mods I am sure many would fit perfectly in backup process.
    Actually that how I use backup loader in general I rarely ''pirate'' for fun most of time I try if I am pleased like I was with many game on wii or 3ds I just buy it and continue to use my backup to preserve my physical game in perfect condition :)

leerpsp and trich like this.
  37. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Taiwan
    It annoyed the hell out of me back with the x360 already where I could install games but still need to put the disk in. Isn't it enough that I bought the game already? Just let me play it without jumping through hoops.

38. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    It used the Disc as a key to see that you really owned it.

39. thekarter104
    This message by thekarter104 has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 3, 2018
  40. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Then buy them on the eShop.
    That makes no sense. Either you want to use cartridges or you don't. If you want to use cartridges then use them, if you don't then buy them on the eShop.
    This will never happen no matter if we have CFW or not. This is not an argument for anything.
    This is ridiculous. You can redownload them any time you want, you won't have to worry about losing them for 15 years when the servers might be shut down.
    Firstly you can just copy the data from your SD card to your computer - boom, done, you have an off-line backup. Secondly - that backup will work forever, and the servers are not going to shut down for at least 15 years.

41. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    We don't know how Nintendo reacts to CFW and how fast they will ban - buying on the eShop is the worst you can do because you will loose everything. But this is not a "physcial vs digital" thread and morals should not be discussed here because it's and endless circle.

Finalxfantasy, CptPotato and -----a like this.
  42. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    There seems to be an alternate Godwin's law on GBAtemp, the longer a discussion goes on the higher the probability that it becomes a debate about piracy.

It gets really annoying....

43. -----a

-----a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    Your mega post above was unnecessary. Essentially, you're being a part of the problem.

If you'd like to avoid these kind of debates it would be in your best interest to just keep it to yourself.

Subtle Demise, Droyd, Evictor and 6 others like this.
  44. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Piracy is inevitable. It's more a matter of way route does it occur, how easy, and how detectable it is.

45. Kubas_inko
    This message by Kubas_inko has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 3, 2018
  46. -----a
    This message by -----a has been removed from public view by Minox, May 3, 2018, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 3, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice