Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm intriguing really. But what I am wondering, lets think that scenario out loud.
I can still use the PC to access the eshop and purchase titles.
Which means my ID is still allowed to aquire games.
Is there some way or fashion I can actually get those games on my banned Switch then?

I really need to read up on that ... but if someone can give me a nutshell answer that would be awesome.
Basically, when you try to go online using the Switch, you need several things. I'm going to be summarizing everything from here but feel free to read it on your own time: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/

The first is a console that can go online. This one is easy and self-explanatory.

The second is your console's unique certificate. This step is to ensure banned consoles are not allowed online. This also lets them know who is going online.

The third one is a valid Nintendo Account. Account bans are rare and borderline legal since it contains your purchased titles, but it allows Nintendo an extra step of security when delivering bans while allowing people to retain their purchase history if their console gets banned.

The fourth step is unique to playing games online and requires a valid certificate/header but it does not pertain to your questions.

If you want to use eShop titles that you have legitimately bought on your banned console, you can use something like eXhop to download them since it downloads them from CDN, not the eShop. It turns out even if you're banned, anything downloaded with it will work as long as the console can verify that you purchased/downloaded it which you can do by accessing their website if you are console banned. Its their way of allowing you to retain all your purchases but prevents you from using hacks online (without buying a second console).

As for proof, whatever you suggested is actually more than what most people provide (which I'm saying is a good thing) so please do so. Maybe add in something into the video so we know its you like a piece of paper with your username or something. Be creative and surprise me :P

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can’t ylu just download the xci and play a pirated copy since its modded? Lol
Well yes, I might but not for all specific digital titles I want to buy in the future.
PS I still want to be the good guy here to some extent. I still am a Nintendo support by all means.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Basically, when you try to go online using the Switch, you need several things. I'm going to be summarizing everything from here but feel free to read it on your own time: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/

The first is a console that can go online. This one is easy and self-explanatory.

The second is your console's unique certificate. This step is to ensure banned consoles are not allowed online. This also lets them know who is going online.

The third one is a valid Nintendo Account. Account bans are rare and borderline legal since it contains your purchased titles, but it allows Nintendo an extra step of security when delivering bans while allowing people to retain their purchase history if their console gets banned.

The fourth step is unique to playing games online and requires a valid certificate/header but it does not pertain to your questions.

If you want to use eShop titles that you have legitimately bought on your banned console, you can use something like eXhop to download them since it downloads them from CDN, not the eShop. It turns out even if you're banned, anything downloaded with it will work as long as the console can verify that you purchased/downloaded it which you can do by accessing their website if you are console banned. Its their way of allowing you to retain all your purchases but prevents you from using hacks online (without buying a second console).

As for proof, whatever you suggested is actually more than what most people provide (which I'm saying is a good thing) so please do so. Maybe add in something into the video so we know its you like a piece of paper with your username or something. Be creative and surprise me :P

Thanks for this ;)

As for creative ... well nah that is asking to much.
I just made a recording of me doing the following and threw it on Vimeo;

PRE - All is done on OFW
1 - I Go to the album to show no SX OS there etc.
2 - I started the eshop, untill error
3 - I started Rocket League, untill error
4 - I tried getting Nintendo Reward Points for Toad Treasure Tracker, untill error
5 - I went to All software to show that well .. I am a big supporter of Nintendo.

Trust me on this ... I did not see this ban coming.
And I didn't go into any deep waters in regard to various things.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Raikkonen94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for creative ... well nah that is asking to much.
I just made a recording of me doing the following and threw it on Vimeo;

PRE - All is done on OFW
1 - I Go to the album to show no SX OS there etc.
2 - I started the eshop, untill error
3 - I started Rocket League, untill error
4 - I tried getting Nintendo Reward Points for Toad Treasure Tracker, untill error
5 - I went to All software to show that well .. I am a big supporter of Nintendo.

Trust me on this ... I did not see this ban coming.
And I didn't go into any deep waters in regard to various things.

This sucks man, I'm sorry to see this. I'm very interested to see how Nintendo NL responds to this if you were to ask for clarification (as a fellow Dutchie, that is).

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
This sucks man, I'm sorry to see this. I'm very interested to see how Nintendo NL responds to this if you were to ask for clarification (as a fellow Dutchie, that is).

Yeah I am reaching out to them just to see what their stance, reply and so on will be.
Did I deserve it, perhaps sure I was going in the grey are. But my only gripe with the Nintendo Switch is the way they treat physical and digital.
I am a collector, I love my physical games. BUT as a a collector having your collection with you on the go ... well that is not really feasible.
All I used SX OS / SX Pro for was personally dumped games. Hoping that would let it slide. But I am guessing not.
This means Nintendo basically want me to double dip for having the luxury of digital with the combined joy of physical.
In that way Nintendo can learn a hell of a lot from the Steam eco-system.

And as for Dutch;
Yep ik ben ook nog in het Nederlands iemand die Nintendo meer in de mainstream aandacht wil krijgen.
Vandaar ook het medium waar ik sinds begin dit jaar mee in de weer ben.
Maar we zullen zien hoe het loopt.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you answer these 3 questions as well? Thank you in advance!

Can you also answer the questions you missed? I do appreciate your contribution!
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? Maybe 1.0? I got SXOS two days after it was released. I can't remember which firmware that was.
Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N

receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y I can sign in on my laptop and I have the option to buy stuff digitally (something I'll never do again).

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? Maybe 1.0? I got SXOS two days after it was released. I can't remember which firmware that was.
I think V1.1 came out a couple more days after V1.0 so if your memory is correct, its probably 1.0.
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y I can sign in on my laptop and I have the option to buy stuff digitally (something I'll never do again).
Lol I wish I could say I feel bad about Nintendo but the current way they ban people indirectly promotes piracy. Don't worry man, others would do the same in your position.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to confirm ... even though I have an eshop ban. Using the method mentioned by @Draxzelex works fine.
Just installed my first game without eshop acces and still it is a legit game as I bought it through the eshop on my pc.
Thanks for the quick headsup on that @Draxzelex much appreciated!

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to confirm ... even though I have an eshop ban. Using the method mentioned by @Draxzelex works fine.
Just installed my first game without eshop acces and still it is a legit game as I bought it through the eshop on my pc.
Thanks for the quick headsup on that @Draxzelex much appreciated!
Just don't be upset if Nintendo decides to ban your Nintendo Account and/or revoking further CDN privileges from your console. Just be happy that it works for the time being :D

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just don't be upset if Nintendo decides to ban your Nintendo Account and/or revoking further CDN privileges from your console. Just be happy that it works for the time being :D
Hehe fair enough ;) But I already purchased this one so ... well I had to test it.
And I tend to tread carefull, I only do stuff with things I actually bought. (Not that it seems that Nintendo cares about that)
But I will keep that dialed down as I want to see how things enfold further.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think V1.1 came out a couple more days after V1.0 so if your memory is correct, its probably 1.0.
Lol I wish I could say I feel bad about Nintendo but the current way they ban people indirectly promotes piracy. Don't worry man, others would do the same in your position.

Well, most of my games are physical. They didn't get me too bad. The only full price game I bought digitally was Disgaea 5. The rest were cheap games like Sonic Mania and Hollow Knight.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe fair enough ;) But I already purchased this one so ... well I had to test it.
And I tend to tread carefull, I only do stuff with things I actually bought. (Not that it seems that Nintendo cares about that)
But I will keep that dialed down as I want to see how things enfold further.
Please keep us posted on any updates from your situation! At the very least, I'm curious to see how Nintendo will respond to your situation. Who knows, maybe you can be the first one to go from being banned to unbanned!

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please keep us posted on any updates from your situation! At the very least, I'm curious to see how Nintendo will respond to your situation. Who knows, maybe you can be the first one to go from being banned to unbanned!
Likewise really but in reality I dont think we should get our hopes up.
But I do hope Nintendo does see WHY I went this route and perhaps will start looking into a more collector friendly scenario.
If that is something we can get from this ... I will take this ban with open arms.

I have some other ideas about how Nintendo could strengthen their entire eco-system anyway.
Please feel free to read it if you have some time; https://www.nintendoreporters.com/en/editorials/nintendo-network-id-to-a-higher-level/

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
update on my side, i posted before (was using phone to type, and using phone now too).

so i wont be able to go too specific, anyways i previously had run HB etc. on my 3.0 switch.

got tx os and updated to the latest fw, updated my xci files from the OFW and tried eshop after a week and still works just fine.

i put my switch on airplane on cfw, and recently i installed some nsp backups through devmenu.

and i updated a nsp game earlier through OFW and it updated fine, was curious if id get banned so i checked the eshop, and it opened up fine.

so far still not banned.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More updates!
  • I added a new separate question for people to see if they are certificate banned. Recommendation came from @CrisFTW which I should have done from the very beginning, but now it'll be easier to see who is console banned, certificate banned, or both. Not sure if I should just also update the ban column to only specify console bans as it may make traversing the spreadsheet much more difficult but it seems harmless for the time being.
  • For those of you worried about homebrew only bans, I have some good news to share. Turns out the only confirmed person to have been banned for using only homebrew also cleared his error logs on 5.X which is a big no-no. This supports that clearing the error logs may be a bigger red flag over pure homebrew, but it has already been indicated under "Statistics for the Lazy"

Reactions: Deleted User

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More updates!
  • I added a new separate question for people to see if they are certificate banned. Recommendation came from @CrisFTW which I should have done from the very beginning, but now it'll be easier to see who is console banned, certificate banned, or both. Not sure if I should just also update the ban column to only specify console bans as it may make traversing the spreadsheet much more difficult but it seems harmless for the time being.
  • For those of you worried about homebrew only bans, I have some good news to share. Turns out the only confirmed person to have been banned for using only homebrew also cleared his error logs on 5.X which is a big no-no. This supports that clearing the error logs may be a bigger red flag over pure homebrew, but it has already been indicated under "Statistics for the Lazy"
I forgot to mention that I had recently installed a trinket m0 to basically coldboot into sxos. Idk if that matters, but who knows.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt banned for weeks. Got banned right when my brother tried to play fortnite on sxos
I could have sworn I saw something about playing a game online using exshop even if you're banned. I must be crazy

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt banned for weeks. Got banned right when my brother tried to play fortnite on sxos
I could have sworn I saw something about playing a game online using exshop even if you're banned. I must be crazy
No you're not crazy. Here's the thread as proof: https://gbatemp.net/threads/exhop-allows-you-to-play-online-despite-ban.510115/

The problem is this only works under the assumption OP got a cert ban, not a console or account ban. If you have a cert ban, this might be the solution for you.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: