Nintendo Pet Peeves

VBKirby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Surely there are some pet peeves of yours in the world of Video games. Though I have plenty about the actual games, there are also some pet peeves of mine that go outside the actual game. Though you can list the ones in the actual games if you want. Mine are just sort of different.

*How adults can't say Pokemon without pronouncing it "Poe-kee-man"
*How adults can't say Mario without pronouncing it M-air-io
* when people say Game Boy Advanced
* when people say Kirby's Air Ride, or Kirby's Nightmare in Dream Land, and so on, when it should just say Kirby Air Ride
*The dumb jokes teenagers on the internet or at school make about how Kirby sucks and blows, Mario eats shrooms, and the obvious jokes about nintendo wii.
*The disturbed people who think Gardevoir (the Pokemon) is hot. (doesn't that just give you the jibblies?)
*When adults think they know so much about games when all they've played is Tetris.
*How dumb teenagers on the internet or at school think Kirby is gay or a girl because he's pink.
*How nintendo purists will treat you as if you were mass murderer if you used an action replay or gameshark. (A huge problem at a previous forum, and also the reason I left)
*People arguing about sheik being a guy or a girl.
*People arguing about Nintendo character match ups.
*Nintendo Fanfics. Nothing else needs to be said.

There's more, but this will just get the idea across.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Surely there are some pet peeves of yours in the world of Video games. Though I have plenty about the actual games, there are also some pet peeves of mine that go outside the actual game. Though you can list the ones in the actual games if you want. Mine are just sort of different.

See other replies.

*How adults can't say Mario without pronouncing it M-air-io

Is this an issue with elongated pronunciation or the American accent?

* when people say Game Boy Advanced

Guess I spent to much time playing the aforementioned Mario on my Sega Playstation but that sounds fine to me.

* when people say Kirby's Air Ride, or Kirby's Nightmare in Dream Land, and so on, when it should just say Kirby Air Ride

See above comment.

*The dumb jokes teenagers on the internet or at school make about how Kirby sucks and blows, Mario eats shrooms, and the obvious jokes about nintendo wii.

Resident Evil has teh 'erb (that hurt my head to write that)

*The disturbed people who think Gardevoir (the Pokemon) is hot. (doesn't that just give you the jibblies?)

Granted. I have no idea what a Gardevoir is. Scratch that I just did an uncensored image search: any vestiges of hope I had remaining for mankind just disappeared.

*When adults think they know so much about games when all they've played is Tetris.

Hour for hour tetris or an incarnation thereof probably accounts for the most playing time of any game for me.

*How dumb teenagers on the internet or at school think Kirby is gay or a girl because he's pink.

Caring about such things where the internet is involved will probably lead to you dining upon a bullet.

*How nintendo purists will treat you as if you were mass murderer if you used an action replay or gameshark. (A huge problem at a previous forum, and also the reason I left)

Wonder where rom hackers fit into that one. Technology has its uses though (stuff like 4 player multiplayer for Goldeneye or unlocking hidden stuff, improving controls: fine, cheating without the consent of those it is likely to affect: yeah I probably would not get along with you.

*People arguing about sheik being a guy or a girl.

See "*How dumb teenagers on the internet "

*People arguing about Nintendo character match ups.

Such a course of debate is common to all aspects of existence (Ferrari or Lamborghini, James Bond, Jack Bauer or Jason Bourne in a fight?, girl x or girl y?, salad cream or mayonnaise?..........), limiting to Nintendo characters only admit does seem a bit tedious however.

*Nintendo Fanfics. Nothing else needs to be said.

I quite liked reading about Charmander versus Optimus Prime in the Bucky O'Hare universe.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do this just to annoy pokebrats. I also refer to pokemon (plural) as "pokemans" or "pokeymans" for the same reason.

I always make a joke on Pokemon by calling it Poopeemon.....with Poopachoo and Gigglypoop. Aggravates my nieces and nephews.

rofl2.gif

VBKirby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another one. how everyone says Ivan (from golden sun) is 14. He's 15 dang it!

I know that Mario is supposed to be pronounced m-air-o. It only bugs me because it further shows that a lot of adults know nothing about nintendo. And before anyone says it, I know that some adults like Nintendo, so don't say I'm being stupid by saying all adults know nothing about it. I underlined "a lot" for a reason.

Oh, and we always called Pikachu Puky-poo.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you know it's supposed to be pronounced M-air-io, then you shouldn't be complaining. "I say tomato, you say tomahto." People are free to pronounce a name any way that they want, and it's okay to correct them if it's way out there. But if you throw a hissy fit over a slight one, then that's not cool. You shouldn't be annoyed by how people pronounce words or names or places.

I don't read fanfics, but if I hear about a pairing that doesn't make sense from ANY series/universe, then I might just laugh.

Some things I'm annoyed by:
*People who complain that the movie with the same title as the game "wasn't exactly like it". It's Hollywood, money needs to be made so it has to reach out to the mainstream audience. Maybe then they'll pull in more customers for the video game industry. You can't expect 20+ hours of content to fit into 90 minutes and have it exactly like the game. If the movie was extended to three hours, only the hardcore fans would watch it.
*Stupid fans. I have nothing against the majority of fandom, but you will always find stupid people. And these people give your fandom a bad name, and it might not be comfortable. They might even corrupt other people in the fandom. As annoying as they are, you can either laugh or ignore all the things they nitpick.
*Bad tattoos. You know it's going to be permanent, and it's going to express your love for video games, so why don't you find someone that actually knows what they're doing?

VBKirby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Dio

I never said I threw a hissy fit. It's true that there's the whole tomato tamato thing, but people generaly know both terms. It seems that I still haven't gotten across, that the reason I'm annoyed by it is that they don't know about the other pronunciation.

One thing I'll say I dislike about forums, is how everyone else thinks they are smarter that any else, and feel it nessesary to nitpick every little detail.

VBKirby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't remember. It was a long time ago. Most likely I did, but I thought it took longer. I just don't remember that well.

A nintendo, and video game in general problem I have with handhelds, is if you're playing a game outside (though it's hard to do with the DS) or at school, (during off periods) Some dork has to come up and say "what'cha playin?" I HATE that! I'm not sure why, but it really gets on my nerves. What was worse was when I was hooked on Donkey Kong Land, kids saw the yellow cartridge and automatically thought I was playing Pokemon Yellow. That was annoying too. I also hate when people try to watch you play gameboy over your shoulder. It bugs me.

I also hate it when I'm playing Nintendo DS or gameboy, and someone comes up and says "Can I play?"
um... no! I'm not gonna let you play a game you've never played on my file! And I don't want you're greasy sweaty hands all over my DS either. You want to play it? either bug someone else, or buy the thing yourself. Unfortunately, when I told this one kid he couldn't play, my nickname that only he called me to the very end of school was "Anti-Social" (granted, I only knew him the last two years of high school, so it was fine. It also became a running gag with my friends.)

And finally, When people ask me for help too many times in a game. Sure, I'll help em out if it's only once or twice. But once it starts getting to the point where they want me to play this part for them, that's when I tell them they should beat the game themselves. (though not that harsh. Though different cases require more in your face answers to get the message through)

One particular case caused me to make this comic in frustration.
help.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things