Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

Cisz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's such a shame. I play Goldeneye 007 from time to time. It really is the best online FPS on the system...

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is crazy. They STILL SELL brand NEW Wii's for crying out loud. And last I heard they were still manufacturing them. People still play these games, this is only going to really make people mad. It certainly does me.

When they dropped WiiConnect24 that was a sad day, but it didn't have a huge effect as not that many games used it (although it killed services I used). Now though you are talking the most popular games on the Wii will loose a compent that is in heavy use.

Someone mentioned the WiiU and connect24. While it doesn't have Wiiconnect24, that is one aspect of the online system and the online WiFI is another. What all these games use is the WIFI gate, which I believe works on a WiiU. I don't have a WiiU so I can't check this though. And after this...it just makes me never want to get a WiiU...

Anyway thanks to those that are looking to making online servers. I had bought a copy of The Last Story a while ago, and was holding it for a special occasion...guess I will get it out now while the online aspect still works.

clemull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
I hope they can finally release Flipnote Studio 3D,
Flipnote Studio 3D, known in Japan as Moving Notepad 3D (うごくメモ帳 3D Ugoku Memochō Surī Dī?), (originally announced as Flipnote Memo,)[3] is a free
The application was released in Japan on July 24, 2013. It was set for an August 2013 release in North America and Europe, but due to "unexpectedly high" usage of the online services in Japan, the application's release was delayed for both regions.[6] Nintendo has yet to offer any further statements with regards to this title's release in North America and Europe.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those whining about nintendo doing it, I'm wondering how many of you are actually still playing those titles.
Just a question like that. 'Cause I own a few of those titles and to be honest, I've moved on.
Still it does suck I guess.

Literally just discovered the MK Wii CGTP Revolution pack today: http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/CTGP_Revolution

200+ new tracks, a few physics/mechanics tweaks and improved Wifi UI features. The community's still active so it sucks that we only have until May, but ironically I found out about the MK Wii scene because of the Wifi shutdown :\

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally just discovered the MK Wii CGTP Revolution pack today: http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/CTGP_Revolution

200+ new tracks, a few physics/mechanics tweaks and improved Wifi UI features. The community's still active so it sucks that we only have until May, but ironically I found out about the MK Wii scene because of the Wifi shutdown :\

From what I'm reading on the on the MKWii forums is that Mr. Bean already has a private server to go.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I'm reading on the on the MKWii forums is that Mr. Bean already has a private server to go.

The guy can't cook a Christmas turkey without wearing it like a headpiece, and now you're telling me he's in charge of a server?

Wacky hijinks must be afoot.

Reactions: finkmac

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FULL list of affected games should be added to the opening post: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

This is actually a much bigger deal than most people realize; it's not just Nintendo killing off servers for their own games, WFC is the "key to the door" for many third party online games. Taking it down will also kill online play for all those titles.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RIP in peace Pokemon games.
Much as I dislike to be that guy I do have to point out the case of RAS syndrome there.

Something to not make it just one of those posts.

I see people mentioning Mario Kart hacks, almost as though it is something Nintendo should care about. Nobody has yet said it out loud but it does seem to be brushing up against it.

Reactions: Taleweaver

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The FULL list of affected games should be added to the opening post: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

This is actually a much bigger deal than most people realize; it's not just Nintendo killing off servers for their own games, WFC is the "key to the door" for many third party online games. Taking it down will also kill online play for all those titles.
Basically killing all DS and Wii online service.

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hopefully some people start trying to preserve any content available through WFC.

Picross 3D has a ton of puzzle packs available through WFC, for example. Jam with the Band has songs, but I'm pretty those have all been preserved. I'm sure there's countless other games with stuff like this that could be lost for good.

Yeah, I'm downloading tons of DLCs for Wario Ware DIY and Mario VS Dk

I sent this to the customer service of Nintendo of America. Waiting for reply.
I've just heard the news of Nintendo going to shut off the Nintendo WFC servers last night, and I was too shocked to sleep after I heard the news, I was even a bit furious, since I was a great fan of Nintendo DS and Wii games. However, now I do understand that you have to focusing on serving the Wii U and the 3DS, which is pretty reasonable for Wii and DS to step aside since Nintendo WFC has been serving for ten years.
However, there are some games that support free DLC download, like the Mario VS DK series and WarioWare DIY (Showcase as well), many of the downloaded contents are great creations by its players filled with creativity(Some of which are even made by Nintendo)! If they just vanish together with the Nintendo WFC server, that would be a HUGE LOSS to both the players and Nintendo!
A good way of solving this problem is to release a disk/cartridge, or a free download program on Nintendo.com, wii shop channel, or Nintendo eshop containg all of the downloadable contents. When the program(downloaded or on disk) is run on a PC, a owner of the game that supports DLC could connect his or her Wii or DS to that PC via the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB, or some other Means. Then the Nintendo DS would read the data of the disk and would "think" that it's connected to a server with DLCs, thus the player could download the DLCs easily.
The disk/cartridge(or downloadable software on eshop) could also be made for Wii or WiiU and/or 3DS or DS, running the software allowing another DS/Wii console to connect to its"internet" and download the DLCs.
(The same method could be used to offer Mario Kart Wii tournaments as well, there might as well be a selection area in the software to download which tournament to the Wii)
(If one disk could not contain free DLCs for all Nintendo WFC titles, separated disks or programs could be released for separate titles)
It's true that for most Wii and DS games that connects to the internet , fun from the online multiplayer mode could be easily replaced by that of its local multiplayer mode. However, for some Wii games, there is one thing that online multiplayer could do but local multiplayer don't: Free from split screens. (i.e. Mario Kart Wii)
If Nintendo releases and update, and add-on, or a PC/Wii shop channel software that could turn these games' online modes into WLAN modes.(The game still think that it's online but the consoles are actually connected in the same LAN or WLAN, WITHOUT any connections with the actual Nintendo WFC server, just like Kirby's air ride and Mario Kart Double Dash on GameCube)
The friend code requirement could be easily solved by installing the same friend code assigning program as that on the actual Nintendo WFC server.

Finally, here's my best suggestion of keeping the Network Functions for DS and Wii alive, but it's a bit hard to achieve (could be due to Nintendo's policies), and it sounds kinda difficult: That is to release a software identical to that within the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection servers so that we could host our very own micro Nintendo WFC servers right in our home! By using other third-party tools or tools provided by Nintendo, we could set-up a WFC server that would be totally free from Nintendo's servers, saving precious room for WiiU&3DS connections!
Please DO make considerations, Nintendo, and please consider contacting with Nintendo's world HQ if nessary(I knew shutting off Nintendo WFC server is worldwide)
Best regards,
[My name]--A fan of Nintendo

If you have a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato you can capture on Windows.

How can I get my routers a custom firmware? Mine's D-link

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wait, is there anyway to access and play on these servers yet?

I see people mentioning Mario Kart hacks, almost as though it is something Nintendo should care about. Nobody has yet said it out loud but it does seem to be brushing up against it.

It's not about the hacks, it's about the active online communities and paying customers who still use these severs. I happened to talk about the hacks because I just found out about them today, but they also happen to be the reason why the MKWii and Brawl/Project M communities are still so active today.

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Btw, I'm trying to collect WWDIY microgames and Mario VS DK DSi levels
and I have a few questions:
1 Does WWDIy and WWDIY showcase has the same library of microgames?
2 Does WWDIY US and WWDIY PAL have the same library of micriogames?
3 How many levels are there for Mario VS DK on DSi?
4 How can I hack My dsi(v1.4.4)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-