Nintendo isn't the new Sega....

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Wii mostly only did as well as it did with the temporary flood of casual gamers who jumped on board for the gimmicks for a few months and then lost interest and then like most Wii's sat and collected dust, It's got some good titles but hardly enough to make me ever want to buy a Wii.

Once many of the casuals buggered off back to Facebook the Wii slumped, not to mention outside Nintendo and some special efforts the Wii stuff was watered down versions of the other 2 consoles games.

Also not forgetting in my experience ever since the Nintendo 64 me and most of my friends always referred to the Nintendo machines as a Secondary unit. Most times you would ask "What console do you have?" it was always for instance "Oh I got a PS2 a 360 and erm... a Wii"

Some of Nintendo's handheld dominance is from brand loyalty as well as its third party support in my personal opinion.

Thats my take on it, Nintendo has to do something soon or they might start getting in some trouble in the market

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jimmy+Fallon+eating+popcorn.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the Wii and the games for it more than other platforms this gen, I've hardly gone back to most of the other platforms as much. Maybe Half Life 2 and Portal I've gone back to and erm...well PC indie games...oh yeah DS I guess.

So fuck you.

:)

So far Wii U...well Nintendo you best buck your ideas up son and make sure that Wii U Mario game is a damn sight better than Super Mario "going through the motions" 3D Land.

Oddly except soulx who is now a lot better than any of the Nintendo fanboys.
Huh, there's no hidden text here to say anything bad against him.

Reactions: NightsOwl

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo and Sony go in two different directions with their consoles, stop comparing them.
I'm going to quote Mr.Iwata here... Now, I don't remember the exact quite, but hey:

"We do not create games to play on our consoles, we create consoles to play our games"

In other words, Nintendo's strongly focused on their own artistic vision - if other developers share that vision, they also develop for the system. Microsoft and Sony aim at creating hardware which will be interesting and useful to third-party developers. It's two very different approaches altogether.

(Will try to find the original quote for consistency's sake)

Reactions: Black-Ice

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to quote Mr.Iwata here... Now, I don't remember the exact quite, but hey:

In other words, Nintendo's strongly focused on their own artistic vision - if other developers share that vision, they also develop for the system. Microsoft and Sony aim at creating hardware which will be interesting and useful to third-party developers. It's two very different approaches altogether.

(Will try to find the original quote for consistency's sake)
It was pretty much that with added "Nintendo will decide to release new hardware when it's developers have new ideas and needs new hardware for those ideas" or something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was pretty much that with added "Nintendo will decide to release new hardware when it's developers have new ideas and needs new hardware for those ideas" or something.
Yeah, I believe we have the same article in mind.

I can't find it though, your confirmation that something along those lines was said at one point is enough for me. :P

D

Deleted_171835

You mean how Nintendo released a powerful, hard to develop for N64, then released the colossal failure that was the Gamecube which failed to impress because the PS2's time hasn't ran out yet, then released the highly-underperforming Wii (in comparison to the 360 and the PS3) and an even weaker DS (in comparison to the PSP) which for whatever reason sold?

Good job.
While it's clear that Nintendo had a few duds (Virtual Boy, N64), the DS certainly isn't one of them considering its vast game library and being the best-selling gaming platform of all time. And to be fair, the PS2 was an absolute beast so the Gamecube didn't even stand a chance (still had a good library though -- Twin Snakes for the MGS fanboy in me).

But neither Nintendo or Sony are the new "Sega". Sega had a colossal fuckup on a different level from Sony or Nintendo's problems.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I still laugh at the notion that the PSP "underperformed".

It pushed 50+ million units and a great chunk of software against a competitor whose won the handheld realm since day one.

You don't have to win a generation to "do well".

EDIT: Also Nintendo clearly is the new Sega.

>Bayonetta: Published by Sega
>Bayonetta 2: Published by Nintendo.

Therefore Nintendo = Sega.

Ah, that you must mean they make good games like Sega did back in the 90s. It all makes sense now. At least Nintendo lets you watch Netflix for free.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While it's clear that Nintendo had a few duds (Virtual Boy, N64), the DS certainly isn't one of them considering its vast game library and being the best-selling gaming platform of all time.
I strongly agree - I'm a big DS fan and its capabilities as a gaming platform inspired me to learn programming. The only let-down were the specs which often stood in the way when developing software, but outside of that, it's top-notch.
And to be fair, the PS2 was an absolute beast so the Gamecube didn't even stand a chance (still had a good library though -- Twin Snakes for the MGS fanboy in me).
Twin Snakes is one of the rare examples of Gamecube exclusives which I find great, alongside Resident Evil RE:make. MGS:TS is not universally-loved though, many people still prefere the original despite all the improvements... but I digress, of course.
But neither Nintendo or Sony are the new "Sega". Sega had a colossal fuckup on a different level from Sony or Nintendo's problems.
To be fair, SEGA only started screwing up in the post-Genesis era.

They insisted on making its life-cycle as long as possible with the Sega SD and the Sega 32X which for all intents and purposes should've been separate consoles altogether.

Then came the massively over-engineered Saturn which was geared towards high-performance 2D graphics when 3D was becoming all the rage.

Finally, the Dreamcast... which was actually great, both specs-wise and capabilities-wise but died an untimely death simply because Sega's new management opted to bail out of the game. It's a shame, since in many ways it could rival with the PS2 and it certainly offered better Online functionality. If the system was equipped with a DVD-ROM rather than the GD-ROM, history could take a different turn entirely.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a side note I'd really like a HD port of Twin Snakes. If they ever port the MGS HD Collection to the Wii U they should definitely put that in it.

I'm kinda looking for a game to play MGS without playing the original so it's either that or the Digital Graphic Novel (which would look FUCKING GREAT on the Vita's screen but they DON'T FUCKING HAVE it on the Vita store, I haven't checked the PS3 store though).

Reactions: Foxi4

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point is simply, if Nintendo ever dies...which is a LONG LONG time from now and would require a long series of monumental fuck ups...I'm not talking Vita fuck ups, I'm talking even bigger than Virtual Boy fuck up, they would still not go the way of Sega because as a company game development isn't the only thing they're interested in.

Even when Sega were in the hardware business, they did have other games on other platforms such as the NES via Tengen. Playing a Sega title on a different console was never really that big of a deal for me. Other publishers did some Sega titles for NES and PC Engine. Sega did a lot of titles for the PC too during the Saturn era. All of these were proper Sega titles that Sega themselves kept an eye on.

Same with Sony & Microsoft, they've done games for other platforms and both are still making PC titles.

Nintendo has never done this at all. Phillips handled the "Mario" & "Zelda" games for CDI...and even then Nintendo pretty much washed their hands with those games, had no part in development or game design, just the usual "yes/no" with some character designs and only allowed their releases because they had a contract with Phillips and these games can never be considered as "Nintendo games". Same with Mario Is Missing on the PC and of course the Mario Bros (not super) and Donkey Kong ports. Technically, those were more like movie licensed games, Nintendo just sold the rights for games on say Colecovision but not the code.

Case in point, Nintendo making a game for another platform...end of the world.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On a side note I'd really like a HD port of Twin Snakes. If they ever port the MGS HD Collection to the Wii U they should definitely put that in it. I'm kinda looking for a game to play MGS without playing the original so it's either that or the Digital Graphic Novel
Go for Twin Snakes. I can't stress enough how great that game was - it eats Metal Gear Solid 2 alive and sits proudly right under Metal Gear Solid 3 in terms of quality.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Go for Twin Snakes. I can't stress enough how great that game was - it eats Metal Gear Solid 2 alive and sits proudly right under Metal Gear Solid 3 in terms of quality.

Apart from the Ocelot boss battle becoming a fucking joke. And the game in general being made easier due to the gameplay additions and the lack of actual changing level design.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just really want the Digital Graphic Novel since Ashley Wood art gives me wood.

EDIT: On a side note I've been on the prowl for high resolution screenies of her art from Peace Walker (mainly her rendition of the Boss vs. Naked Snake scene from MGS3) so if you happen to find any online send me a message.

Please no Paz stuff, I'm not a pedophile.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Apart from the Ocelot boss battle becoming a fucking joke. And the game in general being made easier due to the gameplay additions and the lack of actual changing level design.
Honestly, the game is "easier" because it's literally the same game in terms of the layout, just stripped of the awkward controls and with added First Person mode for more accurate shooting. :P

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the game is "easier" because it's literally the same game in terms of the layout, just stripped of the awkward controls and with added First Person mode for more accurate shooting. :P

The day I play a Metal Gear Solid game for the gameplay is basically the day I play a Pokemon game for the story. It won't happen.

Like the gameplay is never terrible but I'm not too fond of stealth games and quite honestly the only games that don't have a convoluted way of doing shit is MGS4 and Peace Walker. I'm mostly for the story and environment.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo has never done this at all. Phillips handled the "Mario" & "Zelda" games for CDI...and even then Nintendo pretty much washed their hands with those games, had no part in development or game design, just the usual "yes/no" with some character designs and only allowed their releases because they had a contract with Phillips and these games can never be considered as "Nintendo games". Same with Mario Is Missing on the PC and of course the Mario Bros (not super) and Donkey Kong ports. Technically, those were more like movie licensed games, Nintendo just sold the rights for games on say Colecovision but not the code.

I'm curious as to what the unreleased Mario game would have been like. From what I've gathered, it was pretty good and Miyamoto himself was even impressed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE