Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with your point, but the way I see it is that the federal guidelines would make it very difficult for Nintendo to go after emulation in general rather than this specific emulator. I don't think the people running Dolphin, Citra, etc. have bragged about running games a month before release.
I think it would suck even they only go after yuzu, though it's a bad precedent if they win in any case xD

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I like how 99% of people on here like to dump on Nintendo rofl
It's because they've set the bar so low for themselves and yet remain unable to clear it anyway. It's 2024 and their online subscription service doesn't include dedicated servers. Their most graphically impressive games run at 480p and 15 FPS on their own hardware. I'd say it's like they're perpetually stuck in 1997, except even SNES ran at 60 FPS.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I like how 99% of people on here like to dump on Nintendo rofl
Been a Nintendo fan pretty much since the first NES controller I ever held. I loved their products literally my entire life. Nintendo of today is just awful. Sure, the company was never perfect but they were never this terrible. This isn’t even about the lawsuit, it’s everything. Modern Nintendo feels like they’ve taken the worst from Western gaming and put a Mario hat on it

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a Nintendo fan pretty much since the first NES controller I ever held. I loved their products literally my entire life. Nintendo of today is just awful. Sure, the company was never perfect but they were never this terrible. This isn’t even about the lawsuit, it’s everything. Modern Nintendo feels like they’ve taken the worst from Western gaming and put a Mario hat on it
Nintendo use to expect Sega to hand over the pirates to them, now it seems they do it themselves and everyone hates them now LOL

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean, I don't hate Nintendo.
I don't hate them either, but their decision-making really started going to shit after Iwata passed away. Switch is on track to become the best-selling console of all time, and rather than celebrating all the sales they have made, they're stressing about a small percentage of "lost sales" instead. Apparently they've never heard the saying, "a bird in hand in worth two in the bush."

NotTucks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I also don't like them, Sony is in my eyes far worse than Nintendo ever could be. Nintendo at least puts out good games. Sony killed Japan Studio, shipped all their company to the USA, and quit making cheaper (yet more game-y games) with artistic value in order to pursue the garbage they put out now and show to their customer base as exclusives.

Nintendo is bad, sure, but so is everyone else, and I don't see Sony ever truly pursuing true value in catalog and game quality again. I also don't see them making another handheld and actually making good games for it, so I think the only people making things I want to experience left in terms of true consoles is always going to be Nintendo. For better or for worse.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While I also don't like them, Sony is in my eyes far worse than Nintendo ever could be. Nintendo at least puts out good games. Sony killed Japan Studio, shipped all their company to the USA, and quit making cheaper (yet more game-y games) with artistic value in order to pursue the garbage they put out now and show to their customer base as exclusives.

Nintendo is bad, sure, but so is everyone else, and I don't see Sony ever truly pursuing true value in catalog and game quality again. I also don't see them making another handheld and actually making good games for it, so I think the only people making things I want to experience left in terms of true consoles is always going to be Nintendo. For better or for worse.
I can agree with post. Hell, outside of gaming, Sony recently killed Funimation and is fucking over Crunchyroll, which is really fucking over Western anime fans. Sony has always been a shit company, so I am just kind of numb to their terrible bullshit. Nintendo being this shitty feels very fresh compared to Sony being shit.

NotTucks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate them either, but their decision-making really started going to shit after Iwata passed away. Switch is on track to become the best-selling console of all time, and rather than celebrating all the sales they have made, they're stressing about a small percentage of "lost sales" instead. Apparently they've never heard the saying, "a bird in hand in worth two in the bush."
Iwata really was the thing holding the company together content wise. The switch is only good for the games it has and nothing else. With his death died the personality of Nintendo, and I don't see that ever coming back, especially when on the USA front Reggie left us for Doug Bowser, who I legitimately only remember because of his last name. They're an impersonal company now, and it's why this whole situation sucks.
Post automatically merged:

I can agree with post. Hell, outside of gaming, Sony recently killed Funimation and is fucking over Crunchyroll, which is really fucking over Western anime fans. Sony has always been a shit company, so I am just kind of numb to their terrible bullshit. Nintendo being this shitty feels very fresh compared to Sony being shit.
Absolutely. Sony doing anything just makes me so unbelievably annoyed these days. Even from a business standpoint it feels like they purposely mismanage nearly every project they have (besides like, movie cameras or whatever). Not to mention I've felt this way about their actions since, what, 2012? Absolutely unreal levels of mismanagement.

Last edited by NotTucks,

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Microsoft = evil, Sony is another to hate on, Sega kinda out of the picture, and Nintendo everyone hates on all 3. It's just like cars. I had a brand new mustang gt and everyone on earth hated on it because it was a mustang or because it had a v8 but was not a 5L. So yeah people hate everything. :D

Reactions: NotTucks

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The switch is only good for the games it has and nothing else.
That's basically the same position that Xbox and Playstation are in too though. Consoles have nothing unique left to offer, so they might as well fully embrace multi-platform and make all games accessible to everybody on every device. That's the future of gaming regardless of how much effort Nintendo puts into resisting it. They're riding high on the success of Switch right now, but I wouldn't realistically expect its successor to sell even half as many units based on how saturated the market is.

So yeah people hate everything. :D
Hard to hate FromSoft, Larian, or Valve. It does take a long streak of good decisions to build a positive reputation among gamers, and only one or two bad ones to cause them to sour on you.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Piracy tends to lead to more sales, so even if there is piracy I dont see why they are doing this.

When you "buy" a game, you are buying a license. If you actually owned the game that would mean you could make copies, sell it, rent it out, sue other people for pirating it etc... You dont own any of your games, you own licenses.
you dont own the ip naturally just a right to use it, hence you own that right. its yours. if something is yours you can do whatever you want with content except profit or claim it. do people really forget how transactions work?

Reactions: Xzi

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's basically the same position that Xbox and Playstation are in too though. Consoles have nothing unique left to offer, so they might as well fully embrace multi-platform and make all games accessible to everybody on every device. That's the future of gaming regardless of how much effort Nintendo puts into resisting it. They're riding high on the success of Switch right now, but I wouldn't realistically expect its successor to sell even half as many units based on how saturated the market is.

Hard to hate FromSoft, Larian, or Valve. It does take a long streak of good decisions to build a positive reputation among gamers, and only one or two bad ones to cause them to sour on you.
the internet loves to suck valve's dick so no surprise, i bet if valve was to be in this very situation for to go after a team that let's say makes a customized version of SteamOS and is closed sourced... makes it better than it and is able to run on many devices that isn't a Steam Deck, i 100% guarantee everyone would be against the team for doing so.

But since they ain't Nintendo, they won't do so and would rather help out a big corporation company take them out cuz how so much they love 'em to death.

Husseinwii

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
"a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play (pirated) video games"
And you can also use it to play your own dumped games... i can't see how this is supposed to be an argument..

"a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play (pirated) video games"
And you can also use it to play your own dumped games... i can't see how this is supposed to be an argument..

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the internet loves to suck valve's dick so no surprise, i bet if valve was to be in this very situation for to go after a team that let's say makes a customized version of SteamOS and is closed sourced... makes it better than it and is able to run on many devices that isn't a Steam Deck, i 100% guarantee everyone would be against the team for doing so.
Except they've never been in this same situation and probably never will be, which is why they still have a good reputation. Valve aren't needlessly litigious. There are already a ton of great community-made mods for SteamOS, as well.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they've never been in this same situation and probably never will be, which is why they still have a good reputation. Valve aren't needlessly litigious. There are already a ton of great community-made mods for SteamOS, as well.
too bad their sales of the deck will never touch the switch no matter how much they winning this round

but anyways, mind linking those mods? i might wanna check them out sometime

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
too bad their sales of the deck will never touch the switch no matter how much they winning this round
Valve is a software company first, hardware company second. They don't need to sell more hardware than Nintendo to beat them, because Steam has 150 million active users which is a number that will only ever keep growing. Each console generation, Nintendo has to start all over at zero and hope numbers reach as high as their previous console. Certainly not a guarantee given what happened during the Wii U era.

but anyways, mind linking those mods? i might wanna check them out sometime
Decky Loader is probably the most popular one, allows the install of dozens of other helpful SteamOS plugins straight from its built-in repository.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock