Nintendo Is So Not Screwing Around With 3DS Piracy

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Broken warranty or not, if it's proven that a flash cart cannot brick a 3DS, and Nintendo had their part in intentionally bricking the system, you bet your ass there would be a lawsuit.

They could probably get a lawsuit but it probably would get thrown out. They're bricking the system because of something you shouldn't be doing to it. They told you to not use flashcarts and the like, but if you continue to anyway, the fault is on you.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Guild McCommunist said:
TwinRetro said:
Broken warranty or not, if it's proven that a flash cart cannot brick a 3DS, and Nintendo had their part in intentionally bricking the system, you bet your ass there would be a lawsuit.

They could probably get a lawsuit but it probably would get thrown out. They're bricking the system because of something you shouldn't be doing to it. They told you to not use flashcarts and the like, but if you continue to anyway, the fault is on you.

This same thing happened with Apple, or don't you remember? Apple was skinned alive when they tried doing the same thing.

That would be the same as MS coming into your house and smashing your 360 because you flashed your drive.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Veho said:
TwinRetro said:
Apple was skinned alive when they tried doing the same thing.
Were they? I don't remember that.

You don't remember when they intentionally bricked iPhones via update if it was jailbroken? Don't remember the fallout that ensued after that?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TwinRetro said:
You don't remember when they intentionally bricked iPhones via update if it was jailbroken?
I remember that. And I remember a lot of people sued Apple over it. Did they win? Did Apple pay a fine, or pay for damages, or had to reimburse the owners of bricked phones? Or was the fallout limited to a few angry comments on the internet? I know it didn't affect their sales, in any case. (Didn't help fight the jailbreaks either, but that's a different matter.)

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Veho said:
TwinRetro said:
You don't remember when they intentionally bricked iPhones via update if it was jailbroken?
I remember that. And I remember a lot of people sued Apple over it. Did they win? Did Apple pay a fine, or pay for damages, or had to reimburse the owners of bricked phones? Or was the fallout limited to a few angry comments on the internet? I know it didn't affect their sales, in any case. (Didn't help fight the jailbreaks either, but that's a different matter.)

It resulted in the courts ruling that jailbreaking your phone was 100% legal and any action to circumvent that through intentionally bricking the phone would be a breach of various laws.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TwinRetro said:
It resulted in the courts ruling that jailbreaking your phone was 100% legal and any action to circumvent that through intentionally bricking the phone would be a breach of anti trust laws.
So Apple suffered no reprecussions for bricking people's phones?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Veho said:
TwinRetro said:
It resulted in the courts ruling that jailbreaking your phone was 100% legal and any action to circumvent that through intentionally bricking the phone would be a breach of anti trust laws.
So Apple suffered no reprecussions for bricking people's phones?
The fanboys just cover all that bad repercussion.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To summarize:

a) If you damaged your console by using a 3rd party accessory, unofficial firmware, mod attempt, etc. It's not Nintendo's problem.

b) However, as has been said at least a dozen times, if Nintendo remotly bricks your machine due to flashcart use, that would be Nintendo's problem.

c) Nintendo will not do b) because then you can never buy any games again and probably won't buy another 3ds. Also, as has been mentioned, say you buy a 3ds second hand on ebay, update, then bam, brick. This is no fault of yours, and you had no way of knowing. Big problem for nintendo.

d) As I keep saying, if Nintendo can detect flashcarts, why would they just log and not block them? In regards to DS games, I see no situation where you can detect a flashcart and not block it. Nintendo blocked all flashcarts originally. Flashcarts updated, so now they work. If they work, they are not detected. If they are not detected, they are not logged. So the only thing it could possibly ever do is log an attempted flashcart use, if you didn't use an updated flashcart.

e) If this "secret retail log" really exists, there must be an easy way to access it, since there is no way Nintendo is sending millions of copies of ways to acess it. So it should be easy to see if it's really there or not. It's lot like how there's a secret "service menu" that can be accessed on phones with the proper key combinations.

I think that takes care of the whole multitude of threads on this right there.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
This is by far the dumbest thing I've read on GBAtemp in a long time. If you think that a 3DS is as important as a FUCKING BED then... fuck it I don't know. If I were to post what I'm thinking then I'd probably be receiving a nice 10% warn, so I'll keep it to the next few lines.

I have two identical computers in my house because there's multiple people. Mainly we bought it so my brother and I could do homework at the same time (nowadays typed work is pretty much necessary for schools, most teachers will refuse to accept some work that isn't done by a computer). My house has at least two phones in it (not counting cellphones) too. Maybe not "necessary" but they become rather needed for everyday life.

You're making incredibly shitty overly drastic comparisons to things that, by today's standards, are more important than something that plays fucking Super Street Fighter IV.
Stop twisting my words. Never say it was. Plus I was saying in terms in one person not a whole family/set of people. I can argue that making you type a paper is a luxury( sometimes I think it mess up how they make you type something) you can get you thoughts on just writing on a piece of paper.

So entertainment isn't needed for life?

BobTheJoeBob said:
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Mar 8 2011, 09:16 PM) I was talking about homebrewers.
Want to talk to someone? Go walk up to them yourself.
Yes, just lemme go walk 3000 fucking miles of ocean to go speak to my aunty.
And I wonder how you two got 3000 miles apart 'cause sure wasn't walking.

You do not need to go that far way from you family, but you can because of luxury.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
This is by far the dumbest thing I've read on GBAtemp in a long time. If you think that a 3DS is as important as a FUCKING BED then... fuck it I don't know. If I were to post what I'm thinking then I'd probably be receiving a nice 10% warn, so I'll keep it to the next few lines.

I have two identical computers in my house because there's multiple people. Mainly we bought it so my brother and I could do homework at the same time (nowadays typed work is pretty much necessary for schools, most teachers will refuse to accept some work that isn't done by a computer). My house has at least two phones in it (not counting cellphones) too. Maybe not "necessary" but they become rather needed for everyday life.

You're making incredibly shitty overly drastic comparisons to things that, by today's standards, are more important than something that plays fucking Super Street Fighter IV.
Stop twisting my words. Never say it was. Plus I was saying in terms in one person not a whole family/set of people. I can argue that making you type a paper is a luxury( sometimes I think it mess up how they make you type something) you can get you thoughts on just writing on a piece of paper.

BobTheJoeBob said:
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Mar 8 2011, 09:16 PM) I was talking about homebrewers.
Want to talk to someone? Go walk up to them yourself.
Yes, just lemme go walk 3000 fucking miles of ocean to go speak to my aunty.
And I wonder how you two got 3000 miles apart 'cause sure wasn't walking.

You do not need to go that far way from you family, but you can because of luxury.
Good lord... save us.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't all Wii games on the back of the box say that if you hacked your Wii will be usable?
But in fact all it does is remove the homebrew and doesn't brick at all?
I say scare tactic

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I support AP. I support banning hacked consoles from services. I support them trying to block hacks (though I use them all the time). I support this because I know that if they didn't do this devs would abandon the platform.
I do NOT support any threat that Nintendo might remotely deactivate my console if I choose to use them. I'm not whining about a loss of services. I'm not whining that its my right to be able to do this to my console. I'm saying that it is my right to be able to USE the product I bought.

What annoys me is that iPhone and Android rooting is legal though it can lead to piracy but nothing like this has been established for games consoles. I understand why most new flashcarts are illegal (they boast ROM compatibility etc. AND use copyrighted code in their bootstraps encouraging piracy) but nothing has been established for firmware hacks like the PS3, 360 (though driveflashing is only for piracy) and the Wii. I hope the 3DS gets some kind of firmware hack though not instantly because I don't like flashcarts. As much as I use them I don't like the idea of a company profitting of Piracy as they are.

Anyway, i'm sure there's a few contradictions and points for people to argue about until they're blue in the face about but maybe it'll get it off the current dead-end with the idiot saying that we're not allowed to be able to use the products we buy because we're using an unauthorised product.
Would you like it if your 360 shut down and refused to boot just because you used a 3rd party controller, a cheat disc or a 3rd party memory card? This is what it would set a precedent for.

Edit:
GameWinner said:
Don't all Wii games on the back of the box say that if you hacked your Wii will be usable?
But in fact all it does is remove the homebrew and doesn't brick at all?
I say scare tactic
This is an entirely different wording to this. It says if the 3DS has any record of an unauthorised device being used. This is not a firmware hack, this is not an R4 not functioning, this is the 3DS refusing to function because of a RECORD. Its an entirely different beast.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Good lord... save us.
Look I may not getting point across well, but you can see what I'm trying to go with it.

Although you(posters) throw me from my main point and it is I do not need two of the same thing to play to different media when one thing can play both.

darkreaperofdrea

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
they have the right to brick your console if you are using illegal content on your system...it's like they're way of protecting they're console,if you were Nintendo,would you like to lose money?i don't know someone who likes to lose money,and since they can't go to your house personally and take it away from you,they just do it by FW updates,chill out you FILTHY PIRATES,most of you guys are,and you shouldn't blame it on Nintendo for bricking your console,blame it on you for using it for whatever it is they consider illegal(even if it's homebrew)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
KingVamp said:

You know what Cavemen did for entertainment? Cave paintings. Go kill some animals and smear their blood on your wall.

laugh.gif
Even if that was legal at this point of time, it can only entertain me for so long.

QUOTE(darkreaperofdreams @ Mar 8 2011, 05:24 PM)
they have the right to brick your console if you are using illegal content on your system...it's like they're way of protecting they're console,if you were Nintendo,would you like to lose money?i don't know someone who likes to lose money,and since they can't go to your house personally and take it away from you,they just do it by FW updates,chill out you FILTHY PIRATES,most of you guys are,and you shouldn't blame it on Nintendo for bricking your console,blame it on you for using it for whatever it is they consider illegal(even if it's homebrew)
No, but bricking devices on purpose is wrong.

What if someone play your 3DS with a homebrew device without looking or what if it logs wrong? BRICK! Does that sound right to you?

Plus they lose money because people wouldn't want to buy games or devices because they afraid this would happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...