Hacking Nintendo files lawsuits in crackdown against Switch hackers

Diskun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
1) In plenty of cases, piracy does seriously harm sales.
2) That's not how that works. You have the right to use your device... as per the End User License Agreement you agree to by buying and using it. (I should know- I always read it before breaking it! *wink*) And you certainly don't have the right to use it or anything else to pirate games, which is breaking the law.
3) Nintendo's security on the Switch is already damn strong. The account breach was quickly dealt with (and this is basically the best they could possibly make it without being downright user-invasive), and they've gone into overdrive with telemetry. Comparing 3DS and Switch hacking is like putting together two Lego bricks that fit together by default versus building a massive, hundred-thousand-piece elaborate sculpture.
4) Please stop. As someone that does whatever the hell I please with my hacked N3DS XL, you make us look bad.
1.- Not proven, but irrelevant. Nintendo is well within their right to protect their games. Still, breaking the console's security does not imply that it is going to be used to play illegal copies. TX provides the means, what you do with them it's another different thing entirely. I personally want to use it to mod Skyrim, install mediaplayers, play PC games from my PC via Steam Link, and many other things, also because I'm a tinkering addict. I can't have a console or any electronic device and not gut it and make it work beyond the original specs if I want to.

2.- EULAs are never and can never be above the law. Some terms in EULAs are just plain abusive and illegal (at least by European standards) and mostly anti-consumer. Nintendo can put whatever they want in their EULAs, they can write that the warranty for X component is void if you remove whatever sticker, but if the device fails from a design or factory flaw for instance, they have to honour the warranty anyway (again, according to European laws). Most EULAs are scary walls of text, but as good as wet paper. For hardware anyway.

3.- Agreed

I still think that from the moment I buy a piece of hardware I'm the sole owner and whatever I do with it is within my rights as long as I don't do anything illegal -according to my local laws, not whatever Nintendo claims-. Breaking the security of a piece of hardware I own is not illegal since I own the hardware and the firmware it came with, not Nintendo.

I wouldn't blame Nintendo if they banned me from their services. They have the right to do so. But the hardware is mine, no matter what the EULA says.

Now software, that's entirely different, for digital titles anyway. Cartridges, well, I think that as long as you have the cartridge you can do whatever you want with it, just like hardware. Sell it, mod it, destroy it, dump it to the SD card for your convenience... as long as you don't incur in copyright violations.

Last edited by Diskun,

Diskun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
BTW, Nintendo reminds me a lot of Apple: Use your device like we want, not like you want. Extra functionality? Ease of repair? Compatibility? Standards? Screw that, buy an expensive dock or charger because we do our own implementation of PD and if you plug in an standard PD charger, your console might die (and your warranty is now void even if your local laws say the opposite). What a joke.

It pains me because I grew up with Nintendo, from the NES and original GB.

Last edited by Diskun,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.- Not proven, but irrelevant. Nintendo is well within their right to protect their games. Still, breaking the console's security does not imply that it is going to be used to play illegal copies. TX provides the means, what you do with them it's another different thing entirely. I personally want to use it to mod Skyrim, install mediaplayers, play PC games from my PC via Steam Link, and many other things, also because I'm a tinkering addict. I can't have a console or any electronic device and not gut it and make it work beyond the original specs if I want to.

2.- EULAs are never and can never be above the law. Some terms in EULAs are just plain abusive and illegal (at least by European standards) and mostly anti-consumer. Nintendo can put whatever they want in their EULAs, they can write that the warranty for X component is void if you remove whatever sticker, but if the device fails from a design or factory flaw for instance, they have to honour the warranty anyway (again, according to European laws). Most EULAs are scary walls of text, but as good as wet paper. For hardware anyway.

3.- Agreed

I still think that from the moment I buy a piece of hardware I'm the sole owner and whatever I do with it is within my rights as long as I don't do anything illegal -according to my local laws, not whatever Nintendo claims-. Breaking the security of a piece of hardware I own is not illegal since I own the hardware and the firmware it came with, not Nintendo.

I wouldn't blame Nintendo if they banned me from their services. They have the right to do so. But the hardware is mine, no matter what the EULA says.

Now software, that's entirely different, for digital titles anyway. Cartridges, well, I think that as long as you have the cartridge you can do whatever you want with it, just like hardware. Sell it, mod it, destroy it, dump it to the SD card for your convenience... as long as you don't incur in copyright violations.
Yeah, I generally agree. Once the Switch gets a method of permanent CFW that isn't going to get banned in a nanosecond and doesn't require a physical kit to use, I'm definitely going to do it. Mine's unpatched (I'm a massive Nintendo nut, so I was an early adopter of sorts), and I plan to hack mine less for piracy and more just for modding games I already own like Sonic Mania.

Reactions: Diskun

Diskun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, I generally agree. Once the Switch gets a method of permanent CFW that isn't going to get banned in a nanosecond and doesn't require a physical kit to use, I'm definitely going to do it. Mine's unpatched (I'm a massive Nintendo nut, so I was an early adopter of sorts), and I plan to hack mine less for piracy and more just for modding games I already own like Sonic Mania.
Yeah, I don't enjoy the fact that I have to open up my Switch and solder stuff to it. I have done it before with other consoles, but I don't like it much. The NSW is a nice piece of hardware and I'd like to leave it as undisturbed as possible.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
BTW, Nintendo reminds me a lot of Apple: Use your device like we want, not like you want. Extra functionality? Ease of repair? Compatibility? Standards? Screw that, buy an expensive dock or charger because we do our own implementation of PD and if you plug in an standard PD charger, your console might die (and your warranty is now void even if your local laws say the opposite). What a joke.

It pains me because I grew up with Nintendo, from the NES and original GB.
Actually, a lot of the console makers done it before or are still doing it now.
It's not unique. If anyone could do propitiatory stupid plugins, they would...
God... I still hate the 3DS charge is just a wrinkled USB connector.

Reactions: peteruk and Diskun

Diskun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Actually, a lot of the console makers done it before or are still doing it now.
It's not unique. If anyone could do propitiatory stupid plugins, they would...
God... I still hate the 3DS charge is just a wrinkled USB connector.
I know, still with the 3DS the power standard was not so off chart. And it used a proprietary connector so you didn't risk bricking your console by plugging a standard USB-C with a standard PD rating into it like with the Switch. Chinese knock-off charger with the 3DS? No problem. Non-Nintendo quality brand USB-C PD charger into the Switch? Nono.

I have a very strange love-hate relationship with Nintendo. It's like a restaurant with excellent food but very rude service and uncomfortable seats :D

Last edited by Diskun,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, still with the 3DS the power standard was not so off chart. And it used a proprietary connector so you didn't risk bricking your console by plugging a standard USB-C with a standard PD rating into it like with the Switch. Chinese knock-off charger with the 3DS? No problem. Non-Nintendo quality brand USB-C PD charger into the Switch? Nono.

I have a very strange love-hate relationship with Nintendo. It's like a restaurant with excellent food but very rude service and uncomfortable seats :D
Yeah, except when they replace the seats with god-tier sofa seats, increase the amount of menu options but bump up prices by like a dollar a meal or so, everyone bitches and moans even though it's still damn good food and it's still cheap.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I don't enjoy the fact that I have to open up my Switch and solder stuff to it. I have done it before with other consoles, but I don't like it much. The NSW is a nice piece of hardware and I'd like to leave it as undisturbed as possible.
I'm nowhere skilled enough at soldering to do so, so I'm leaving mine clean for now. I might end up putting Atmosphere or something on mine, but it'd still be a pain in the ass to have to resend the payload every time I reboot or whatever.

senas8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can try but the internet will always win.. always have, always will. It can’t be stopped. And if they don’t back down, even more shits going to leak.. because this never works. It’s the wrong way to handle pirating. They do have a right tho. Absolutely 120% At this point I don’t like them that much. Don’t play any of their Zelda or Mario first party games. Going after people making games in Dreams on PS4 .. like people won’t buy Mario games anymore...its just too much. Again they have a right to remove it but it just makes it worse for them.

Last edited by senas8,
Reactions: LyuboA and peteruk

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
as of yesterday almost all EU reseller still take pre orders but most probably we will have to wait for all that crap to die down a little

senas8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“Nintendo's operating profit for full FY 19/20 is higher than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy (and some by a lot!)
108.7 yen = 1 USD
1 euro = 1.1028 USD”

Sources:
Nintendo: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200507e.pdf
Sony G&NS: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/19q4_sony.pdf
EA: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q4/FY20-Q4-Earnings-Release-(1).pdf
Activision Blizzard: https://investor.activision.com/static-files/fafbcb7a-0ddd-44ae-acf3-7f5aec4ea3ea
Take-Two: https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/15f375ba-76b8-471d-a0ca-f2561b86c4a8
Ubisoft: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/company/investor_center/key_figures.aspx
Capcom: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2019/full/result_2019_full_01.pdf
Bandai Namco: https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/9797?entry_id=6622
Square Enix: https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/20q4slides.pdf
Konami: https://www.konami.com/ir/en/financialinfo/sales.html
Sega Sammy:
https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/finance/operating_profit/

Thanks to Celine(resetera best sales data provider)

Funfact
- Sony(G&NS) has the highest revenue out of all companies but their profit margin is too low
- Konami is more profitable than Capcom despite Capcom output with Monster Hunter World, RE2R, DMC5, RE3R, RE8 and etc. Pachinko > Capcom.
- Nintendo's operating profit is the highest record by a console maker in the current generation of consoles.

Last edited by senas8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: