Nintendo Is So Not Screwing Around With 3DS Piracy

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Gamer4life said:
This is the shit that fucking pisses me off we bought the damn thing we have the right to do any god damn thing to it or on it that we the OWNERS so choose. WE have the right to run anything on it and if that is a flash cart we have the damn right to. They have no rights to tell us that the $300 product that we bought and DAMN RIGHT OWN is not ours to do with what we please.

Unless what you do with it is CLEARLY ILLEGAL.

Any respectful pirate shouldn't bitch and moan about a company trying to defend their products unless it's A) in an unethical matter (like Sony's whole crackdown thing) or B) hurts the product itself (like Ubisoft's DRM).

Fact is that odds are anything that can run homebrew on a console can lead to or already can run illegal content as well. And odds are most people who buy a flashcart don't buy it solely for homebrew. Nine times out of ten they'll be doing something illegal with it.

And what about those of us who buy the games and dump it to our flashcards ourselves? Everyone seems to forget about that when talking about flashcarts, its always either piracy or homebrew. Every game on my Cyclo has a corresponding cartridge, box and manual sitting on my shelf. All 50 or so of them. I like the convenience these carts provide to easily carry around my library without worrying about losing the small carts. I have never uploaded any of them either, only my own personal use.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rockym said:
And what about those of us who buy the games and dump it to our flashcards ourselves? Everyone seems to forget about that when talking about flashcarts, its always either piracy or homebrew. Every game on my Cyclo has a corresponding cartridge, box and manual sitting on my shelf. All 50 or so of them. I like the convenience these carts provide to easily carry around my library without worrying about losing the small carts. I have never uploaded any of them either, only my own personal use.

I think any smart company would realize the convenience for about 50 owners of a system that has millions of owners is not nearly as important as the probably millions of dollars lost to piracy on the system.

Opening a system to easy piracy is not a good price to pay so a couple people will stop complaining about "homebrew" or "convenience". It's a silly argument.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Brick? I don't think a company (either it be Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, etc) would be dumb to brick a console/hardware. The number of sues they would get for it...

But if they are banning consoles from online, I'm all for it. You want to pirate? Keep it off from online services.

"Wah, but I just use homebrews, why I have to suffer too? pomf"

A price the honest guys have to pay. Buy two consoles, one for the homebrews, other for legit use.

"But I don't want to buy two consoles".

Well, fuck you then. =/
rofl.gif

But seriously you assuming everyone a rich star or something. People have trouble buying the system to begin with, not to mention the games,
yet you making it sound easy to buy two portables.
dry.gif

Gaming is not a need, it is a luxury. If you have enough cash to buy one, much less two 3DS systems, you should be able to buy the games, too. I used to use the "i'm poor" excuse myself, but I realized just how bullshit that excuse really is. If you pirate, I really don't care, but don't justify it. You pirate to get free games. Period. Whether it be for a "trial period" or otherwise. If you do it for backup purposes, that's cool too. I have my dounts of those claims, but who am I to question that.

/rant

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Sheaperd121 said:
Wait, even if this is real, couldn't nintendo get sued over this?
The logging, no, they can do that.

The bricking yes. Illegal.

Which is why I (and others like mechagouki) are constantly saying in all these threads that it's not going to happen.
Ah, Ok. Thank you for explaining.

I didn't even think it was going to happen. It would be pretty stupid for nintendo to brick consoles.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Brick? I don't think a company (either it be Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, etc) would be dumb to brick a console/hardware. The number of sues they would get for it...

But if they are banning consoles from online, I'm all for it. You want to pirate? Keep it off from online services.

A price the honest guys have to pay. Buy two consoles, one for the homebrews, other for legit use.

Well, fuck you then. =/
rofl.gif

But seriously you assuming everyone a rich star or something. People have trouble buying the system to begin with, not to mention the games,
dry.gif
Videogames are a luxury. If you don't have money to buy one, you don't buy it on the first place. It's a pricey hobbie.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if like the Wii, people find a way to install system menu's instead of updating... Maybe not though. Only working with a Flashcart might be hard.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:

Well, fuck you then. =/
rofl.gif

dry.gif

Gaming is not a need, it is a luxury. If you have enough cash to buy one, much less two 3DS systems, you should be able to buy the games, too. I used to use the "i'm poor" excuse myself, but I realized just how bullshit that excuse really is. If you pirate, I really don't care, but don't justify it. You pirate to get free games. Period. Whether it be for a "trial period" or otherwise. If you do it for backup purposes, that's cool too. I have my dounts of those claims, but who am I to question that.

/rant
I was talking about homebrewers.

Yes it a luxury,so is your computer, your tv , your bed(u can sleep on the floor), your ...
Only real need is food,water, and shelter. Want to talk to someone? Go walk up to them yourself.

Anyway just because it is a luxury doesn't mean you should be made to two buy two due to one type of media. Buying two would really cut you from the games. So you have two of the same portable with little to no games vs one portable with a lot of games.

It like buying two identical computer/phone/home and/or etc, each made to only hold a certain thing. :/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:

Yes it a luxury,so is your computer, your tv , your bed(u can sleep on the floor), your ...
Only real need is food,water, and shelter. Want to talk to someone? Go walk up to them yourself.

Anyway just because it is a luxury doesn't mean you should be made to two buy two due to one type of media. Buying two would really cut you from the games. So you have two of the same portable with little to no games vs one portable with a lot of games.

It like buying two identical computer/phone/home and/or etc, each made to only hold a certain thing. :/

This is by far the dumbest thing I've read on GBAtemp in a long time. If you think that a 3DS is as important as a FUCKING BED then... fuck it I don't know. If I were to post what I'm thinking then I'd probably be receiving a nice 10% warn, so I'll keep it to the next few lines.

I have two identical computers in my house because there's multiple people. Mainly we bought it so my brother and I could do homework at the same time (nowadays typed work is pretty much necessary for schools, most teachers will refuse to accept some work that isn't done by a computer). My house has at least two phones in it (not counting cellphones) too. Maybe not "necessary" but they become rather needed for everyday life.

You're making incredibly shitty overly drastic comparisons to things that, by today's standards, are more important than something that plays fucking Super Street Fighter IV.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

This is by far the dumbest thing I've read on GBAtemp in a long time. If you think that a 3DS is as important as a FUCKING BED then... fuck it I don't know. If I were to post what I'm thinking then I'd probably be receiving a nice 10% warn, so I'll keep it to the next few lines.

I have two identical computers in my house because there's multiple people. Mainly we bought it so my brother and I could do homework at the same time (nowadays typed work is pretty much necessary for schools, most teachers will refuse to accept some work that isn't done by a computer). My house has at least two phones in it (not counting cellphones) too. Maybe not "necessary" but they become rather needed for everyday life.

You're making incredibly shitty overly drastic comparisons to things that, by today's standards, are more important than something that plays fucking Super Street Fighter IV.

Just like a mattress the 3DS can help alleviate back pain after waking up in the morning and provide you with a better quality of sleep overall.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oveneise said:
I sense a lawsuit in the near future...

If this is referring to the whole "bricking a system because of unofficial firmware", I doubt it. Fact is that if you're system gets bricked through illegitimate devices, Nintendo is no liable. You voided the warranty, using these devices is only at your own risk, it's entirely your fault. Why blame it on Nintendo if your system got ruined through your own illegitimate modifications of it?

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Guild McCommunist said:
Oveneise said:

If this is referring to the whole "bricking a system because of unofficial firmware", I doubt it. Fact is that if you're system gets bricked through illegitimate devices, Nintendo is no liable. You voided the warranty, using these devices is only at your own risk, it's entirely your fault. Why blame it on Nintendo if your system got ruined through your own illegitimate modifications of it?

Unofficial firmware? I thought we were talking about Flash carts, and as far as I know, it does nothing to modify any part of the 3DS.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Oveneise said:

You make up a very good point, and thats exactly what I was referring to (bricking of the firmware). Sooner or later, though, the system will most likely get blown open and piracy will be rampant. I actually see the AP as a good thing, seeing how devs will put more work into games they know won't be able to be pirated, thus giving the system more quality games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Oveneise said:

Unofficial firmware? I thought we were talking about Flash carts, and as far as I know, it does nothing to modify any part of the 3DS.

Well, unofficial firmware, flashcarts, they both void your warranty. But if one of those were to cause your 3DS to brick (even if that's Nintendo's intention), you'd still be liable for it since you're technically not supposed to use either one.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If the system is bricked remotely, then yes, they can be sued. If it bricks because of the unnoficial hardware, your problem.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Guild McCommunist said:
TwinRetro said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Oveneise said:

Well, unofficial firmware, flashcarts, they both void your warranty. But if one of those were to cause your 3DS to brick (even if that's Nintendo's intention), you'd still be liable for it since you're technically not supposed to use either one.

Broken warranty or not, if it's proven that a flash cart cannot brick a 3DS, and Nintendo had their part in intentionally bricking the system, you bet your ass there would be a lawsuit.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
The bricking issue is illegal.

If a flashcart bricks it well, that's your fault but Ninty putting something into the firmware to brick the system is illegal. It breeches Customer Rights (by UK law anyway)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ancientboi already making new people mad