1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Such a remake would require basically remaking the entire game. At that point, why not make a new game instead? I'd rather have a new game than a HD remake of the exact same game, with the same old gameplay and dated level design.
    Such a remake would be a huge undertaking, and Nintendo has limited resources to spend on developing new games, which means if they remade Super Mario 64 it would come at the cost of getting one less new game. Do you really want that?

I wouldn't mind just having some improved textures and models, and a new lighting/shading engine. That would go a long way towards making the game feel modern again, without a complete remake. It would still obviously be an old game, lacking the same degree of polish as newer games, but that's OK. I'm getting 3 games for the price of one though, so I can't complain.
    If they were full remasters, rather than just ports, they'd be charging full price and selling them individually. I don't think it's a bad price for 3 ports, especially when 2 of them look great in HD.

2. CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It's just a port for people who like to play it like the original. Nintendo never stated it's a remake. Also that U4 version isn't a real game (yet). It's just a footage of a person who did all this to show off his U4 skills. It's lovely, but you can't actually play it.

3. Dartz150

Dartz150 Yet another Onii-chan

Mexico
    What really bugs me are their questionable marketing decisions, their artificial limitation stocks make them the dicks of the videogame industry.

Scott_pilgrim and Boesy like this.
  4. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nintendo is like GTA V. If you played it on PS3 no need to buy it on PS4 or PS5 the same thing applies to Nintendo. The switch is a good device for new gamers getting into Nintendo this is where they gain alot of revenue from parents buying their kids switches. For veteran players the switch doesn't benefit them since 60% of the games they played on legacy systems.

I don't complain too much I just pirate what I can get so I suggest people to follow suit. Until the day they start to loose money they will never change

tfocosta likes this.
  5. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    nintendo is making money nothing more they can sell a used condom with the name NINTENDO on it and poeple would buy it

Boesy and mak-can-o-beans like this.
  6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    it's completely different story if you compare your actual thumb on a capacitive phone screen and using the thumbstrap on a resistive touchscreen

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  7. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They are both terrible ways to play games.
    I've played through Mario 64 countless times, on various systems, but the DS port is a dumpster fire, and I couldn't play it after an hour or two of that ridiculous control scheme.

8. MaxiBus

MaxiBus GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Ehm... no :lol:

9. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.
    Contributor

United States
    Comparing port to remake isn't exactly a fair comparison, I think, since they take wildly different development times and budgets. If Nintendo were branding it as a remake or remaster, then I think criticisms like that would be entirely on-point, but as it is, it feels like comparing apples to apple pie. One takes a lot more work and added ingredients to produce.

That being said, there IS a pretty apt comparison between this SM64 port that Nintendo is advertising as part of the collection which runs at 30fps, 720p docked, and 4:3 aspect ratio, and the Switch port we've had unofficially for months now, which runs at 60fps locked (handheld and docked), 1080p docked, and 16:9. Those two are pretty much the same thing, ports of SM64 to Switch, only Nintendo's comes up short in every regard. I think that comparison highlights its shortcomings more clearly.

10. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    The switch Port (v7) was stuttering as hell when I tried. No comparison to the big N version.

11. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.
    Contributor

United States
    Then something's gone very wrong, since the same version was a flawless 60fps for myself and others when it released, no framepacing oddities either when I looked through my own footage.

12. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'd much rather have 64 DS remastered than the original, and Galaxy...everyone knows what I think of that abomination by now.

Boesy likes this.
  13. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Mario 64 in Super Mario 3D All-Stars on the Switch is supposed to be the original game...
    When Nintendo actually does make remakes, they do it right. This isn't one and was never implied to be.

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    and you never will

mak-can-o-beans and peteruk like this.
  15. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Mario 64 remake is planned for the 50th anniversary

16. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Because this is all any business thinks about:

And Nintendo's making back their investment regardless of anyone's opinions here or anywhere else on the Internet.

17. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    As a person who bashed on the All Stars reveal.. fan remakes are generally trash lmao. What big companies can do is hire artists that can make a consistent and pleasing art style. All the Unreal Engine fan games are just ripped assets or random assets put together with dramatic lighting. Sure, it "technically" is superior to what Nintendo will put out but I can't say it looks any better.

No, fan remakes aren't better than what Nintendo can do. Nintendo just hasn't done it in this case.

Last edited by GoldenBullet, Sep 7, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim and Dartz150 like this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lol wat?! have you ever played AM2R?! it would have won a game awards 2016 if nintenDMCA didn't take it down

too bad for them though it's still out there and still being updated and better than their crappy 3ds remake :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 7, 2020
  19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    I did, and now I play Super Mario 64 on mine with a Wii Pro Classic controller. I also map the crouch button to both ZR and ZL, so anybody can play it from muscle memory.

Scott_pilgrim and eyeliner like this.
  20. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    My point exactly. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - greatness, Nintendo,