Gaming Nintendo has lost its greatness

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't really think they've lost their greatness, they've made great games the past few years and came back from the console known as the Wii U.

While they could've done better graphics wise, I think Mario 64 has a charm to it with the old look, but it would've been cool if you could switch between styles. Either way I'm happy because I haven't played all 3 and I've already preordered physically.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Don't really think they've lost their greatness, they've made great games the past few years and came back from the console known as the Wii U.

While they could've done better graphics wise, I think Mario 64 has a charm to it with the old look, but it would've been cool if you could switch between styles. Either way I'm happy because I haven't played all 3 and I've already preordered physically.
The WiiU was and is a great console, friend.They were shortsighted about it, because it is a great home system which could live a few more years with official support.

But I guess people loose their minds with rehashes of old games and throwback systems instead of looking for what's good with the current ones.

Really, how many of you were born when the NES and SNES were released (thus, the systems don't mean much to you) and still got the Mini versions to.... hack them?

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The fan """"remake"""" isn't a remake and was never supposed to be one. It was made by someone called nimSony for fun.

Also, I find it funny you linked a youtuber who posted his work and put his own Patreon link in the description.

Last edited by Skirlez,

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The WiiU was and is a great console, friend.They were shortsighted about it, because it is a great home system which could live a few more years with official support.

But I guess people loose their minds with rehashes of old games and throwback systems instead of looking for what's good with the current ones.

Really, how many of you were born when the NES and SNES were released (thus, the systems don't mean much to you) and still got the Mini versions to.... hack them?
Oh yeah I 100% agree the Wii U was great, I meant that it didn't sell well. I love my Wii U and with homebrew it's even better.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 64 to Nintendo Switch - Disappointment!!!!

Super Mario 64 PC remake - Awesome!!!!

Nintendo, shame in being laziness!!

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming the plan was always to make this a limited release it would have made little financial sense for them to put many resources into adding new features to the collection - definitely not to the extent that they remodelled things (they did improve texture quality as is very clear on the boo painting in the trailer). The amount of money they would have put into it wouldn't be justified by the amount they could make in return. It is even more true due to the fact that what people pay for Mario 64 in this collection is effectively 1/3 of the price of a retail game ($20). It is a shame they skipped wide-screen support though, as that would have been relatively simple and is included in the PC port without any additions.

Of course, if they released Mario 64 later as a $60 or even $40 game it would be unacceptable if this is what we got.

Edit:
It is also possible that they did plan to do a little bit more polish with 64, but due to the fact that the company as a whole seems to really struggle with working from home this year some plans needed to be dialed back.

Last edited by Graxer,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accepted Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy to Switch but N64 version ? They should release this game for Nintendo 64 Classic (I won't buy it anyway) but you know what I am talking about. And if they want to have Super Mario 64 to Switch then at least they can do is remake it like PC version for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is definitely after our money. No thanks.

Reactions: mak-can-o-beans

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is nintendos thinking these days:

instead of porting the DS version of 64 and fixing the shitty touchscreen controls: "nah lets just lazily rip the fucking n64 rom and not change anything about it and include that"
instead of worrying if the fludd controls won't work properly: "fuck them let them figure it out we just want $"
instead of including galaxy 2 as well: "who gives a fuck where is our $60?!"
instead of making the whole thing available forever: fuck them lets really piss the fans off and offer it a limited time while we count our bags of $ from the sales of the idiots who actually are stupid enough to pay for old games when they could play them for free on emulation!!"

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this is nintendos thinking these days:

instead of porting the DS version of 64 and fixing the shitty touchscreen controls: "nah lets just lazily rip the fucking n64 rom and not change anything about it and include that"
I think it is very much down to preference, and potentially when you first played it, which version of 64 is best. Even besides the touch/D-Pad controls I feel that they completely butchered what I liked about the original in the remake by forcing different mechanics and gameplay styles into existing star missions to justify the new character abilities outside the new missions. Also, the DS version looks awful in HD texture-wise and would need a lot more work to recreate each texture from the ground up to make it look acceptable.

In a situation in which, whichever version they used some people would be upset it seems much more logical to go with the actual original which is considered as the "classic" version than a heavily modified remake that wasn't that faithful.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
because they didn't really look to remaster mario 64?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think it is very much down to preference, and potentially when you first played it, which version of 64 is best. Even besides the touch/D-Pad controls I feel that they completely butchered what I liked about the original in the remake by forcing different mechanics and gameplay styles into existing star missions to justify the new character abilities outside the new missions. Also, the DS version looks awful in HD texture-wise and would need a lot more work to recreate each texture from the ground up to make it look acceptable.

In a situation in which, whichever version they used some people would be upset it seems much more logical to go with the actual original which is considered as the "classic" version than a heavily modified remake that wasn't that faithful.

i don't get why people rip on the controls. you were supposed to use the thumb strap and the touchscreen if you wanted finecontrol and it worked surprisingly well

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't get why people rip on the controls. you were supposed to use the thumb strap and the touchscreen if you wanted finecontrol and it worked surprisingly well
I did use the thumb shoe originally to try and play it with that, but no matter how long I tried I found it completely uncontrollable. I feel the same about touch screen analogue controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users