Status
Not open for further replies.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, he said that he'd learn nothing except Nintendo's IOS reloading. I said there's no ios reloading needed. that means.... he'd get nothing out of it.

as far as my remarks on his intelligence, I'm sorry for stating my opinion, but I don't want people thinking that anything this guy says is in any way factual. he's just talking to be heard and has no clue what he is speaking about.

I'd rather people not get bad info from people like DeadlyFoez so that more people here don't turn out like the current trend of wii "homebrew" users

EDIT: and just for fun.... your comment about it being obvious to ANYONE that he's not an idiot is hilarious. talking to people on the homebrew channels on IRC says otherwise.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ok, u toned it down, so will I, so despite my rage inside, I will keep this msg PG

DeadlyFoez never made any promises, he simply said he will try to learn whatever he can from starlight, and he suspects it will be nothing. He even said IF ios reloading was incorporated into starlight he might be able to learn something... keyword being "IF"... he never stated anything as a fact that isn't.

Also, u r claiming that there isn't an IOS reloading problem in starlights... is this a fact? No, its not... not until I see Metroid Prime Trilogy played on a starlight (or another IOS reloading game). So how are your posts any more factual than deadly foez? Its a starlight, not a normal wii, we don't have all the answers just yet... that's what deadly foez is after!

And what bad info are people getting off of deadlyfoez? Are we concerned that there is someone out there trying to hack a starlight machine? Seriously man, no bad info came from DeadlyFoez anyways.

edit: I don't care who u've talked to, DeadlyFoez is not an idiot... and u can ask Bushing if u like... and there aren't too many people as elite as Bushing, so if he's got even a little respect for DeadlyFoez, that's more than what Bushing thinks of most of us. Btw, I'm not shocked DeadlyFoez has people who dislike him, he's flamed a lot of people... amateurs and devs alike, so he's bound to have people calling him an idiot on IRC... but intelligent people learn to think for themselves. I may not be a cutting-edge dev like Bushing or Crediar, but I know a lot of shit, and I've read a lot of Deadly's posts, and he has never once said anything idiotic (obviously I'm only referring to his posts related to the Wii... i'm sure he's said some pretty funny/stupid shit when he's flaming someone).

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
DeadlyFoez never made any promises, he simply said he will try to learn whatever he can from starlight, and he suspects it will be nothing. He even said IF ios reloading was incorporated into starlight he might be able to learn something... keyword being "IF"... he never stated anything as a fact that isn't.

Also, u r claiming that there isn't an IOS reloading problem in starlights... is this a fact? No, its not... not until I see Metroid Prime Trilogy played on a starlight (or another IOS reloading game). So how are your posts any more factual than deadly foez? Its a starlight, not a normal wii, we don't have all the answers just yet... that's what deadly foez is after!

And what bad info are people getting off of deadlyfoez? Are we concerned that there is someone out there trying to hack a starlight machine? Seriously man, no bad info came from DeadlyFoez anyways.

edit: I don't care who u've talked to, DeadlyFoez is not an idiot... and u can ask Bushing if u like... and there aren't too many people as elite as Bushing, so if he's got even a little respect for DeadlyFoez, that's more than what Bushing thinks of most of us. Btw, I'm not shocked DeadlyFoez has people who dislike him, he's flamed a lot of people... amateurs and devs alike, so he's bound to have people calling him an idiot on IRC... but intelligent people learn to think for themselves. I may not be a cutting-edge dev like Bushing or Crediar, but I know a lot of shit, and I've read a lot of Deadly's posts, and he has never once said anything idiotic.

since the hardware change to the drive system doesn't require different read calls to IOS it doesn't break with an ios reload. the games run from their own IOS and not from an all inclusive one like usbloaders, so the ios reloading can't break it. there's your info to derive a fact from.

now, in regards to DeadlyFoez bad info....
excite truck exploit: a coding bug does not an exploit make. just because something is poorly programmed and doesn't work properly in all cases doesn't make it exploitable.

I've seen too many people claim they've found an exploit for a game when all they're really found is bad handling of external files for all cases. You saw in just a day how many people suddenly thought DeadlyFoez could do anything with an exploit just because there was strange behavior that he noticed. so to ask if we are concerned about people believing his words isn't really valid, since some people here believe anything and will repost things thus making more people read the same garbage.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, deadlyfoez, alienating so many impressive homebrew creators in such a short time. To enlighten the folk around here, megazig is one of the most prolific reverse engineers on the Wii. While he doesn’t release many apps of his own, trace back the line of who people got their info from and megazig might just be at the end of that line.

Are you enjoying your custom banners on those WADs? That’s megazig. Maybe you’ve used comex’s BannerBomb for 4.2? Guess who found comex what he needed to get it out in less than a day. That’s megazig. Maybe you’ve used Reggie, the NSMB level creator, or one of it’s levels? Guess who taught Treeki PPC assembly, from the ground up. That’s megazig. Are you debugging a game and need an IDA database with all the Nintendo development symbols mapped in for you to save you 40% of the work? Megazig’s the man people go to.

I have seen megazig give out so much solid info, that if megazig told me the sky was orange, I would go outside to double check. Seriously, the reason people like megazig and tueidj have so few posts and you have so many is because they are ACTUALLY DOING SHIT. Helping the community is fine, but the Wii hacking community wouldn’t be half the size it is without the code that leaks out of these guys brains. And yeah, I mean the 2,000 replies on the RawkSD thread with 200,000+ views. Yeah, I mean 800,000 views in the 'Mod any Wii 4.2 and below' thread who might be using Bannerbomb v2. These guys are the shit, so when they tell you you’ve got something wrong, you go back, you double check your ass off and you make damn sure you don’t have it wrong before you come back and politely tell them what they overlooked and please to be a bit more respectful.

If you want to dump Starlight, go ahead, get access, take a dump of it. If any of us thought there’s something wrong with finding out how something works just for the sake of it then we wouldn’t be here. Tell us what you manage to find out from it afterwards if it takes your fancy.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
TempusC said:
Seriously, the reason people like megazig and tueidj have so few posts and you have so many is because they are ACTUALLY DOING SHIT.

QFT
lecture.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@Tempus, thanks for giving me a history lesson on megazig (not being sarcastic)

@ megazig, after hearing what Tempus had to say, I feel I owe u an apology for saying what I said about your low post count. I realize there are a lot of great dev's on this forum who don't post here, I just didn't realize u were one of them, and for that I am sorry.

However, I still don't like the fact that u have all these negative things to say about DeadlyFoez... why all the hate? Because he didn't automatically know starlight wont lead to an IOS reloading solution? He was just promising to try, but other than that, he made no promises.

Thanks for all you've done for the community, but u can't expect everyone to be able to do the things Tempus says you've done.

And yes, I have my bias, I am friends with DeadlyFoez... but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I respected DeadlyFoez long before I became friends with him (even when he was criticizing my crazy intro videos, lol). He may not know as much as those in the league of Bushing or TT, but he knows a lot more than most people will ever know, and he's trying to help people (have u seen his brick fixing threads?)

Anyways, plz stop spreading rumours about DeadlyFoez being an idiot, because I can assure u, its not true... if in the end u still feel that way, I guess I can only ask u to plz keep it to yourself.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i traced my family tree back 3 generations and found megazig was my great grand father. and my great grand mother.

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
XFlak said:
Anyways, plz stop spreading rumours about DeadlyFoez being an idiot, because I can assure u, its not true... if in the end u still feel that way, I guess I can only ask u to plz keep it to yourself.

He may be awesome at soldering to the Wii's nand and unbrick it. That doesn't imply that he knows anything about other areas of the Wii though :-)

I'm pretty sure this information won't get you anywhere anyway. I bet they are using some custom *hardware* DI emulator. They already have devkits especially for that purpose and I would be rather surprised if they actually bought some ehci stack and rewrote the DI module instead of just using them.
You'll probably even find a JTAG connector on that mainboard btw. and will notice that all those awesome pins are tied to GND on production PCBs
tongue.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Gvaz said:
Damn, does anyone have a Starlight Wii coverflow app? That looks awesome!
Google or search here for WiiFlow. It can mimic it 100%, and can even do more things. Someone also tried to make a Starlight theme, but it's not realy well done. But there are much nicer themes anyway, so you won't need it...

And I almost forgot that megazig is on GBATemp...so, thanks megazig for all you've done (wanted to say that)
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
TempusC said:
I have seen megazig give out so much solid info, that if megazig told me the sky was orange, I would go outside to double check. Seriously, the reason people like megazig and tueidj have so few posts and you have so many is because they are ACTUALLY DOING SHIT. Helping the community is fine, but the Wii hacking community wouldn’t be half the size it is without the code that leaks out of these guys brains. And yeah, I mean the 2,000 replies on the RawkSD thread with 200,000+ views. Yeah, I mean 800,000 views in the 'Mod any Wii 4.2 and below' thread who might be using Bannerbomb v2. These guys are the shit, so when they tell you you’ve got something wrong, you go back, you double check your ass off and you make damn sure you don’t have it wrong before you come back and politely tell them what they overlooked and please to be a bit more respectful.
I always have to laugh with stuff like that. Basing yourself on Postcount or viewcount makes no sense, really.
tongue.gif

Anyway, saying we don't do anything is not nice at all. Without us (non-coders) the community wouldn't even exist. It'd be just a group of coders sharing their codes with eachother.
What I mean is that all 3 groups are equally important in the scene. Preferring 1 group over another is just wrong. Yet why do they always fight?
closedeyes.gif

[/off-topic]

svpe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tj_cool said:
TempusC said:
I always have to laugh with stuff like that. Basing yourself on Postcount or viewcount makes no sense, really.
tongue.gif

Anyway, saying we don't do anything is not nice at all. Without us (non-coders) the community wouldn't even exist. It'd be just a group of coders sharing their codes with eachother.
What I mean is that all 3 groups are equally important in the scene. Preferring 1 group over another is just wrong. Yet why do they always fight?
closedeyes.gif

[/off-topic]

I personally don't even care about "the scene" or "the community". I just do stuff for the Wii for *fun* and not because I want to help some people to play warez. Sure, it's even more awesome if other people are using my tools but I enjoy writing or reversing things more than actually releasing them in the end and watching how others are using them. But that's maybe just me.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BortzANATOR said:
Thats the same as hacking lol
Hacking is gaining access to other systems by evading the security
Since it's Nintendo's own console, it's not an "other" system, but their own thus can't really be seen as hacking
wink.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sooo now that this is outta our systems whos down for some Mario Kart?
who's down? winner takes bragging rights..
i think thats how all GBAtemp arguments should end up, a good ol fashion Mario race.

but seriously, ♥♥♥'s all around!

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
BortzANATOR said:
Thats the same as hacking lol
Hacking is gaining access to other systems by evading the security
Since it's Nintendo's own console, it's not an "other" system, but their own thus can't really be seen as hacking
wink.gif

I think you'll find your and the medias definition of hacking is different to what a lot of hackers would think. My favourite is from RMS "Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking."

http://www.stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html

You'll find a lot of people who've been hackers since the 60s would be a bit insulted by your definition
wink.gif

EDIT: I bet there's quite a few people working at nintendo and broadcom (they write the IOSs, right?) who count themselves as hackers and some parts of their jobs as hacking.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrmariowario said:
If any of you have ever been to Nintendo World in NYC (my first time was yesterday) you might know that on the second floor of the store they have about 10 Wiis set up for people to play games on (full versions of the games). After watching someone play a game, I had a turn and reset the Wii to change the game. I was thoroughly surprised when a USBGX Loader/ WiiFlow style menu came up that let me scroll through games with 3D flip-cover art. I didn't get the chance to inspect the back of the Wii and see if a usb device was plugged in, but I assume that they are running the games from a server and the Wiis access the game server over usb or each Wii had its own external harddrive (though I doubt that).

What do you guys think of this? If Nintendo hacks their own Wii systems, and consequently makes it easy to hack the Wii, does Nintendo really care about hackers?
rofl.gif
yaywii.gif

I know that if you hack a 360 Microsoft goes crazy and bans you...
All that proves is that Nintendo intentionally set up their system to allow USB loading capability.

I've been to Nintendo World at least 10 times and...as a matter of fact, my cousin works there.
I've asked constantly about those Wiis, and I get different answers each time - but, basically those Wiis aren't regular Wiis, they're specially built for demo purposes for use at Nintendo World.
The Wiis on the top floor actually have no DVD drives. Rather, it's similar to...uh, that modchip I forgot the name of. But, in the back of the Wii there are wires hanging out that go through the bottom of the beam that makes up each station (TV, console, lighting fixtures within station). The staff isn't clear on this but from my understanding each Wii has its own external harddrive under the floor. However, given the simple GUI and loading times I think it's a server, too.

quite honestly, I've always wanted to see a loader for the Wii that's an exact replica of the Nintendo World screen. I have pictures of the loader just in case anyone's interested. x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1