Not open for further replies.

mrmariowario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you have ever been to Nintendo World in NYC (my first time was yesterday) you might know that on the second floor of the store they have about 10 Wiis set up for people to play games on (full versions of the games). After watching someone play a game, I had a turn and reset the Wii to change the game. I was thoroughly surprised when a USBGX Loader/ WiiFlow style menu came up that let me scroll through games with 3D flip-cover art. I didn't get the chance to inspect the back of the Wii and see if a usb device was plugged in, but I assume that they are running the games from a server and the Wiis access the game server over usb or each Wii had its own external harddrive (though I doubt that).

What do you guys think of this? If Nintendo hacks their own Wii systems, and consequently makes it easy to hack the Wii, does Nintendo really care about hackers?
rofl.gif
yaywii.gif

I know that if you hack a 360 Microsoft goes crazy and bans you...

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
mrmariowario said:
If any of you have ever been to Nintendo World in NYC (my first time was yesterday) you might know that on the second floor of the store they have about 10 Wiis set up for people to play games on (full versions of the games). After watching someone play a game, I had a turn and reset the Wii to change the game. I was thoroughly surprised when a USBGX Loader/ WiiFlow style menu came up that let me scroll through games with 3D flip-cover art. I didn't get the chance to inspect the back of the Wii and see if a usb device was plugged in, but I assume that they are running the games from a server and the Wiis access the game server over usb or each Wii had its own external harddrive (though I doubt that).

What do you guys think of this? If Nintendo hacks their own Wii systems, and consequently makes it easy to hack the Wii, does Nintendo really care about hackers?
rofl.gif
yaywii.gif

I know that if you hack a 360 Microsoft goes crazy and bans you...

wow did you really just ask if nintendo cares about hackers lmao wow i mean wow

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo certainly cares about hackers who cheat, but...I'm not so sure they really care that much about piracy. There are so many things Nintendo could to to block the USB loaders. The loaders are just sitting there in RAM doing their thing waiting to be detected by the next game you run. But they don't do that. Why? It would cost money to develop.

mrmariowario: You should have taken a video of that, man.
smile.gif

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
old news, just because nintendo (the maker of the wii, just saying) has different version of their hardware, is not all that. It does not mean that nintendo is using homebrew software, or hacking their own systems. They know how it works, they would just call down to the engineering department and have them desing a system that meets their needs.

Btw theese type of units have been in hospitals for awhile now, I know I have seen a post or 2 here about them.

here's a youtube showing the hospital version.

Youtube Link to Starlight Wii

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perseid said:
Nintendo certainly cares about hackers who cheat, but...I'm not so sure they really care that much about piracy. There are so many things Nintendo could to to block the USB loaders. The loaders are just sitting there in RAM doing their thing waiting to be detected by the next game you run. But they don't do that. Why? It would cost money to develop.

smile.gif
Don't care about piracy? What about the person who got sued by Nintendo for dumping New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are multiple versions of the Wii that support hard drive multi-game loading. There are a couple varieties of devkit Wiis (green or red faceplates) that purportedly include this feature. Many major review and testing companies also qualify to use a Wii reviewing console which is also rumored to support hard drive loading.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah this definitely sounds like Starlight type wii's mainly because it would be an easier way to show off certain game features and different game engines the wii can handle, plus it would be a easier way to transport the unit's and games as one and not a whole collection

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Perseid said:

smile.gif

bullshit nintendo most defintely cares about piracy. if they didnt then why would they continue to put out different kinds of versions of the wii's. Why would they try to kill the softmod methods back in 2008.

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread fail. You seem to have mixed up the definition of hacking.

Nintendo has developed a nice user interface to be used for promotional purposes and this in no way can be designated as "hacking their own system".

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ HatsuReborn2, apparently you do, if your still lurking in here...

Seriously though, its interesting to see other variants of systems out in the wild. Would love to find one ebay sometime.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
foxgrey said:
Seriously though, its interesting to see other variants of systems out in the wild. Would love to find one ebay sometime.
If I recall correctly, a green Wii surfaced on eBay and someone here (Xuzz?) attempted to raise $2000 to buy it.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remeber that I think he did actaully buy one, and at one point was trying to dump the system tools installed on it.

Sounded cool, but hard to say if the tools would actaully be of any use. Personally coming across one of the starlight units, would be sweet.

Just think if we could dump the firmware and use an offical nintendo loader...lol

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be kind of funny and ironic if they integrated some of herme's or wanin's CIOS (or even priiloader) coding to make their hardware work
wink.gif

"People pirate us, wii pirate you!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It's not exactly hacking if it's theirs XD.
That's like Hacking your own computer...
I bet it's like a Wii Professional Edition and ours are Home Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o