Nintendo explains why SNES games Are New3DS exclusive.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
And now I'm using my fatPSP to play SNES's games,LOL.

That's great, but one thing to note is that if an official SNES emulator was made for the PSP, it wouldn't run nearly as well as (what I believe to be) the best homebrew one because that one more or less hijacks into the Media Engine chip for improved performance. A chip that is off-limits to official developers except through official APIs by the platform maker for the specific purpose the makers intended it for, much like the ARM7 in the DS.

woshidashibi0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That's great, but one thing to note is that if an official SNES emulator was made for the PSP, it wouldn't run nearly as well as (what I believe to be) the best homebrew one because that one more or less hijacks into the Media Engine chip for improved performance. A chip that is off-limits to official developers except through official APIs by the platform maker for the specific purpose the makers intended it for, much like the ARM7 in the DS.
No wonder.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So you want Nintendo to make something as inaccurate as blargSNES just so they could get it running on o3DS, and put a price tag on it? Because that's likely what would happen, and they'd likely be scorned even more if that happened. They understand their hardware, but the o3DS by nature was not designed with SNES emulation in mind, and should they have tried anyways, they'd be sacrificing the very things that are important in official products. Accuracy, stability, etc.
No. Not the same thing. They could have lowered the quality of their work to release on the O3DS. Personally, I'm glad they didn't. I prefer quality over quantity.
So you mean to tell me, that my PSP, running a single-core MIPS CPU, is able to run SNES games at a very playable speed, but Nintendo can't figure out how to get SNES games on a dual-core ARM11 cpu. They were able to figure out how to run NES and SNES games on the GBA when both the homebrew emulators for the GBA were complete shit.
Not to mention this is the same company that released Hyrule Warriors on the old3DS, basically releasing an extremely low quality version of the game ccompared to it's new3DS counterpart. If they are going to tell me they "care about quality," then turn around and release lower quality games on the same platform, it becomes very obvious that this isn't about quality control anymore.

Reactions: vayanui8

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I did briefly consider upgrading to the New 3DS XL and trading in my old XL, but the simple fact is there's what, two games that actually need the hardware? Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors (assuming you want Hyrule Warriors to run at any sort of pace and have 3D). It's nowhere near worth spending £140+ on a minor upgrade that affects very little, especially with the NX on the horizon for a proper new system.

As for SNES games only running on the N3DS models, Nintendo can go fuck a duck. They can spin any web of bullshit they like, the simple fact is that they COULD have figured out a way to get SNES games working on the standard models, but it's a business decision to shift a few more N3DS units before they become obselete. I'd actually have more respect for them if they'd been honest and admitted it was a purely business decision instead of making up a load of bollocks about it being a technical issue. If hackers can get the games working, Nintendo should have no difficulty at all. And if they do, then maybe they should just hire the hackers and sack whatever illiterate monkey people they have for programmers right now.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
BlargSNES is much less accurate though.
Also it's an additional factor for people deciding if they should get a N3DS model.
An iPod Touch 4g doesn't run iOS 7.x even though the fairly similar iPhone 4 can. It's trying to get people to buy the new one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BlargSNES is way less accurate and cuts corners to work well on O3DS.
the ipod touch 4g has 256 MB of ram, while the iphone 4 has 512 MB. this is the difference

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As for SNES games only running on the N3DS models, Nintendo can go fuck a duck. They can spin any web of bullshit they like, the simple fact is that they COULD have figured out a way to get SNES games working on the standard models, but it's a business decision to shift a few more N3DS units before they become obselete. I'd actually have more respect for them if they'd been honest and admitted it was a purely business decision instead of making up a load of bollocks about it being a technical issue. If hackers can get the games working, Nintendo should have no difficulty at all. And if they do, then maybe they should just hire the hackers and sack whatever illiterate monkey people they have for programmers right now.
One of the co-developers of blargSnes has explained in this very thread why it couldn't be done on the regular O3DS, and you still don't believe them?

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
One of the co-developers of blargSnes has explained in this very thread why it couldn't be done on the regular O3DS, and you still don't believe them?

I'm saying that Nintendo makes the damn things, I'm sure they could figure it out if they weren't trying so desperately to shift as many N3DS units before the NX hits. Y'know, ignoring the legions of people who don't see the point of a tiny upgrade to the N3DS but would happily give them £7 or so to play Super Metroid.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm saying that Nintendo makes the damn things, I'm sure they could figure it out if they weren't trying so desperately to shift as many N3DS units before the NX hits. Y'know, ignoring the legions of people who don't see the point of a tiny upgrade to the N3DS but would happily give them £7 or so to play Super Metroid.
I see it the other way - it makes no sense for Nintendo to cripple their VC sales by only making their games work on a small subset of the install base.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and for those questioning why the o3DS can't do good SNES emulation while the PSP can, go right on ahead and experience first hand how "good" SNES emulation is on PSP, with it's screen tearing, glitches, constant need for frameskips and Super FX games barely playable (if at all). Hell, i could never get Super Mario RPG to be playable.

sure it's possible for SNES VC on o3DS but i doubt it'll be very viable when they decide to put games like Star Fox or Yoshi's Island on the eshop and i doubt they can get the more advance SNES chip games up to VC-level quality on that hardware

what should actually irk you people is why Nintendo didn't have the foresight to beef up the original 3DS hardware for this sort of thing cause portable SNES and GBA VC is basically a license to print money right there

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
I see it the other way - it makes no sense for Nintendo to cripple their VC sales by only making their games work on a small subset of the install base.

The simple fact is this; I have a regular 3DS XL, as I'm sure most 3DS gamers do. Hardly anyone bothered with the upgrade because it's simply not worth it. So that's a huge chunk of the potential market that could quite enjoy the SNES games (I'm personally praying for a re-release of the original Starwing, or Starfox as you know it in the US) and we'd be happy to pay for them, especially if they were done as 3D Classics. It'd be nice to see one of the early attempts at a '3D' game actually be in 3D after all these years in the case of Starwing. But while we'll happily pay the £7 or so, nobody is gonna pay £140+ for a measly upgrade with no significant improvements as well.

By focussing on their New 3DS customers instead of the considerably larger market with the full system family, they've shot themselves in the foot and lost thousands of potential sales.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I'm going to say only one thing:
Frame Skip

Nintendo emulators are know for running without using frame skip at all. The games always run at the intended speed or even better (as is the case of N64 games at least on Wii U).
If you want a fair comparison of quality then go on and test homebrew emulators with 0 frame skip and see how slow everything move.

Now, I'm not trying to be disrespectful about homebrew emulators, I use them too, but if you make me choose I'll obviously go with the one without frame skipping.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The simple fact is this; I have a regular 3DS XL, as I'm sure most 3DS gamers do. Hardly anyone bothered with the upgrade because it's simply not worth it. So that's a huge chunk of the potential market that could quite enjoy the SNES games (I'm personally praying for a re-release of the original Starwing, or Starfox as you know it in the US) and we'd be happy to pay for them, especially if they were done as 3D Classics. It'd be nice to see one of the early attempts at a '3D' game actually be in 3D after all these years in the case of Starwing. But while we'll happily pay the £7 or so, nobody is gonna pay £140+ for a measly upgrade with no significant improvements as well.

By focussing on their New 3DS customers instead of the considerably larger market with the full system family, they've shot themselves in the foot and lost thousands of potential sales.
Nobody is doubting that the New 3DS isn't worth the upgrade (it's pretty much only worth it for homebrew, hence there are a disproportionate amount of New 3DS users on here). People doubting the assumption that this is a cynical move by Nintendo to force people to upgrade. It's clearly technical necessity.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody is doubting that the New 3DS isn't worth the upgrade (it's pretty much only worth it for homebrew, hence there are a disproportionate amount of New 3DS users on here). People doubting the assumption that this is a cynical move by Nintendo to force people to upgrade. It's clearly technical necessity.

A 'technical necessity' that professional game designers and programmers couldn't figure out for the sake of considerably enhanced sales potential? I can understand why the N3DS' slightly enhanced chipset is needed to run games like Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors, but SNES games? Seriously? Not meaning to sound too much like Jeremy Clarkson, but how hard can it be?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm saying that Nintendo makes the damn things

That doesn't give them magical ability.

I'm sure they could figure it out if they weren't trying so desperately to shift as many N3DS units before the NX hits.

It is more likely that they spent money on writing an emulator in a way that will run on both the N3DS and NX and spending more money writing one specifically for the O3DS isn't cost effective.

The only cost effective solution would be for them to buy BlargSNES and pay for it to be improved. I'm not convinced you would like that either.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
That doesn't give them magical ability.

It is more likely that they spent money on writing an emulator in a way that will run on both the N3DS and NX and spending more money writing one specifically for the O3DS isn't cost effective.

The only cost effective solution would be for them to buy BlargSNES and pay for it to be improved. I'm not convinced you would like that either.

Why not do what Sega did with the Sonic Classics Collection on DS? Basically steal the Jenesis emulator. Not like the hackers who made it have any right to kick up a fuss.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You said it yourself. Given the 'considerably enhanced sales potential', they would have done it if they could.

Why not do what Sega did with the Sonic Classics Collection on DS? Basically steal the Jenesis emulator. Not like the hackers who made it have any right to kick up a fuss.
Did you play it? There's your answer. It was awful. The framerate was terrible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1