Nintendo explains why SNES games Are New3DS exclusive.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by BurningDesire, Mar 11, 2016.

1. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire Nepu Nepu Nepu

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    They have a lot of explaining to do *cough BlargSNES *cough*

[​IMG]
    Source

NoNAND, mgrev, vgmoose and 4 others like this.

2. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Asuming themselves believe that the new3DS has higher resoultion than o3DS... such LOL

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. •Citrus•

•Citrus• Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Nintendo use a software renderer while BlargSNES uses a hardware renderer?

If this is the case, then there's really no explanation needed.

4. koim

koim GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2015
    France
    It's not like that horse has not already been beaten to death...
    The few things to say about it have been perfectly summed up by @DiscostewSM:

"Getting rather annoyed by people claiming SNES games can be emulated perfectly/accurately on the o3DS. It really needs to stop"

"As one of the contributors to blargSNES, the only reason why it can run many games at 60fps on an o3DS is because it is not only heavily cycle-inaccurate, but it is also using the GPU for hardware rendering. Nintendo is using software-rendering, which is the most accurate, yet, process-intensive method.

Hardware rendering works by rendering each and every map tile and sprite (each split into 8x8 pixels cels, because that's how the SNES works) as a pair of polygons. Each "unique" tile scanned (from left to right, top scanline to bottom of the frame) has to be converted from the SNES's 2/4/8-bitplane form into a 16-bit direct-color, z-order curve format (because the GPU lacks paletted texture support), and stored into a texture cache. Changing of hte palette means any tiles that used the palette in that range has to be reconverted. The lack of paletted textures means that palette effects that show mid-frame can't happen (excludes the "background color). DKC's first level shows this with the trees, though more recent blargSNES builds has the background color gradient working, not the trees. There are other numerous effects that are missing, but we continue looking for alternatives (but RL has been in the way).

In a worst-case scenario for non-hi-res modes, you're looking at around 14.8k polygons per BG per frame when there is scanline alterations being done. Most games use Mode 1, which has 3 BG layers, so a worst-case scenario there would be ~2.66 million polygons per second. Seem like something the 3DS can handle, but take into account that the polygon list has to be generated per frame, which means the list can't reside in VRAM (nor can the texture cache), so it's all running off the main RAM.

Be aware that while we may not care for inaccuracies for free stuff, we do care when it comes to paying for them."

Last edited by koim, Mar 11, 2016
    VMM, Sheimi, Delta517 and 14 others like this.
  5. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    there are a few game that will NOT or have a hard time running with homebrew
    enhancement chips can have problem with homebrew emulator or o3ds, may not run the games at the point where Nintendo like them, with the n3ds, Nintendo has more to work with that make the Snes game run how Nintendo like them
    and
    they need a way to get people to buy the n3ds, for more the just 2 real n3ds only games (BoI and Xenoblade Chronicles 3d)

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah right how come BlargSNES works fine on the old 3ds than huh nintendo? lies just so you can buy the new3ds. can't blame them though no one wants the wiiu so they have to try and sell something :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 12, 2016
  7. LarBob

LarBob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    BlargSNES is much less accurate though.
    Also it's an additional factor for people deciding if they should get a N3DS model.
    An iPod Touch 4g doesn't run iOS 7.x even though the fairly similar iPhone 4 can. It's trying to get people to buy the new one.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

BlargSNES is way less accurate and cuts corners to work well on O3DS.

Wellington2k and Supster131 like this.
  8. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    I can see this thread getting salty real soon..

I mean, there's already some salty people here.

Edit: Told you! Salt! Just look at the posts right under mine.

Last edited by Supster131, Mar 12, 2016
    Wellington2k and KingVamp like this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it still works they could make it work if they wanted to but nope you have to buy yet another 3ds for the 3rd time if you want them. they can shove their new 3ds

10. funnystory
    This message by funnystory has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 12, 2016, Reason: bickering lol.
    Mar 12, 2016
  11. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 12, 2016, Reason: bickering lol.
    Mar 12, 2016
  12. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Please learn how blargSNES does what it does before using it in as evidence, especially against anything that involves "perfect" in it.

VMM, CeeDee, Skelletonike and 4 others like this.
  13. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Salty dragons.

14. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    DiscostewSM summed it up perfectly. It's because BlargSNES is not accurate and shortcuts are used that it actually runs worth a shit on the O3DS. Nintendo's emulator is far more accurate, so there's no sloppy speed hacks, and everything is done software-wise. Stop hating on Nintendo for doing this - it's not their fault. Us having unofficial emulators that have more system access than the official emulators do have spoiled us.

Edit: Let me make a point here: Try playing all the popular SNES titles on Retroarch's best SNES core. It's not going to run terribly well. I tried running some games and they lagged like no tomorrow. It's the same story here.

Last edited by loco365, Mar 12, 2016
  15. funnystory
    This message by funnystory has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 12, 2016, Reason: bickering lol.
    Mar 12, 2016
  16. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 12, 2016, Reason: bickering lol.
    Mar 12, 2016
  17. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Very much so. Take for instance the DS. Official developers do not have access to the ARM7 in DS mode outside of Nintendo's own API. They can't program for it, whereas for us with homebrew tools, we can, because we don't follow the same rules. I believe the same goes for the PSP and its Media Engine chip, which is the reason why the SNES emulator for that runs fairly well.

Last edited by DiscostewSM, Mar 12, 2016
    loco365 likes this.
  18. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Well, the PSP was quite powerful (for it's time at least).

Also, how am I being salty? I have a n3DS, never even owned a o3DS. You're the one being salty :P Returning a n3DS just because of a SNES emulator?

VinsCool likes this.
  19. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    No because it isn't worth 200$ for the upgrade. Nintendo constantly scams its consumers by delivering shovelware and inferior products. All the nintendo systems after the gamecube are underpowered,the Wii U was a catastrophe. Nintendo is not treating its consumers right.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  20. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Well, have fun running Starfox on your O3DS. It doesn't even run well on a N3DS.

21. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    (note in advance: I don't really care either way: I have an original 3DS somewhere under the dust that I can't even bother to hack. For snes games, I'll go with a computer or my smartphone).

Okay...I can understand why the stronger CPU is needed to create a pixel-perfect, 60 frames per second emulator of any given SNES game. However, I'm very sceptical about that being the reason nintendo isn't releasing snes 3DSware (that's the name, right? :unsure: ) for the original 3DS. I mean...is that really what the audience wants? Christ...it's not like there was an FPS meter on the SNES, and if there was, I doubt it'd say 60 FPS all the freaking time. Of course nintendo is capable enough to build a snes emulator on the original 3DS. Yes, it would have to cut some corners, but I don't exactly believe anyone would notice it unless they sit directly next to someone playing the same game on a n3DS. (note: this probably wouldn't go for all games - DKC and star fox might have some visible glitches - but I bet you'd need a magnifying glass or a timer to spot a difference between the average mario game).

22. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    I guess it's ultimately because Nintendo doesn't want to cut corners.

23. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    What is the n3DS image? Is that real, or just a quirky photoshop edit for the sake of relevance?

24. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Oh dear god. Shut the hell up about blargsnes already. They are NOT the same God damned thing.

Nintendo is doing something to preserve the game in its original format. Blargsnes relies on some HEAVY modifications.

THINK about it.

GBAFail, Hero-Link and hobbledehoy899 like this.