Original NES Metroid ported to the SNES by romhacker infidelity

GANZOG3WQAAJCfh.jpg

Renowned romhacker, infidelity, has achieved yet another NES to SNES port for the title that spawned the Metroid franchise, the original NES Metroid.
Infidelity has also previously worked on several other romhacking projects, like the SNES ports of the original NES Megaman 2 and Megaman 4, and more recently, his release of The Legend of Zelda SNES port 6 months ago.

The Metroid port was announced shortly after the release of the Zelda port, and since then he has been posting several updates over at his Twitter account, showcasing the several hurdles and obstacles that he encountered while porting over all of Metroid's quirks and coding from the original 6502 assembly coding into the 16-bit 65816 assembly code that the SNES utilizes.

Infidelity didn't only stop at porting the NES version as-is, but he also added a whole bunch of Quality of Life updates, ranging from MSU-1 audio playback (which gives the option for having high quality CD music), a native save/load function (which has missing from the US release of the original game, but was present in the Japanese one), and even a pause menu similar to that from Super Metroid, with a full list of abilities obtained, and a map feature as well!

1701715490612.png

The current release is sitting at Rev B (version 2), and if more issues are encountered, Infidelity will tackle them and release subsequent revisions of his port.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
View attachment 407437

Welcome to the future of the internet, where you're punished if you try to have fun...
unless its the way corporations want you to have fun.
Post automatically merged:

no it doesnt.
i dont understand lol why doesnt zero mission exist? lol zero mission is superior is every single way, really its not even a contest...

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My (so-called by you) toaster can't run those games. That final point is valid if you can't buy a Switch or a device that's x times more powerful than a Switch to emulate it...

And I'm not happy to say this, but this is the world everyone lives in.
A computer worth less than 200$ can emulate switch. I know, my brother's laptop runs it fine (no 120fps 4k etc but fine).

Reactions: Subtle Demise

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
A computer worth less than 200$ can emulate switch. I know, my brother's laptop runs it fine (no 120fps 4k etc but fine).
Well, there are different backgrounds, that same amount of money can mean a completely different amount of workforce, and even the normal salary where someone lives can be way lower/higher.

Being poor is more common than you might think, and different economical situations/environments exist too. What is a toaster for you, for others means the world - that maybe they can't even reach.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand the point but that's cool af
It means we now have a base from which we can mod or enhance this game even further.
The game didnt have a pause menu originally, but now it has a fully functioning map system like the latter games in the series had.
I guess theres potential for things like updated sprites, backgrounds, etc that could modernize the game even more.

Reactions: RetroGen

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just played it for about 10 minutes, using the orchestral music. Very nice. It's also more comfortable for me, using the Y button to shoot and B for jump. Toggling missiles by holding the R trigger is a nice touch as well. Saves from having to select missiles, then deselecting them again.

I tried the save thing, and see no point, though. Whenever I play this game, I normally go through the whole thing in 1 try anyway. I grabbed the first missile container, then saved then died. Reset and started again with those 5 missiles... back at the beginning of the game. Considering that you need an emulator to play this (with save states, no less), I still see no point in that effort.

And by the way, you can play it with Zero Mission's music also, if you like.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just played it for about 10 minutes, using the orchestral music. Very nice. It's also more comfortable for me, using the Y button to shoot and B for jump. Toggling missiles by holding the R trigger is a nice touch as well. Saves from having to select missiles, then deselecting them again.

I tried the save thing, and see no point, though. Whenever I play this game, I normally go through the whole thing in 1 try anyway. I grabbed the first missile container, then saved then died. Reset and started again with those 5 missiles... back at the beginning of the game. Considering that you need an emulator to play this (with save states, no less), I still see no point in that effort.

And by the way, you can play it with Zero Mission's music also, if you like.
I suppose you can play this on original hardware with the right flash cart, so I guess the save function helps in that case.
If you dont use the MSU soundtracks, then I guess you could also make a repro rom cart with this too.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
i dont understand lol why doesnt zero mission exist? lol zero mission is superior is every single way, really its not even a contest...
i was joking (i mean my avatar and username is telling) and provoking a reaction lol.
anyway...i agree. but my personal favorite is fusion.

im not sure if that is completely true. also we dont know if yor brother got a pc as a compensation, barging, discount, but 300 for a pc that runs switch doesnt sound convincing. we need more details about that claim tbh. there ar a lot of nuonces. also its he said she said. i need proof and specs.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It means we now have a base from which we can mod or enhance this game even further.
The game didnt have a pause menu originally, but now it has a fully functioning map system like the latter games in the series had.
I guess theres potential for things like updated sprites, backgrounds, etc that could modernize the game even more.
oh you mean metroid zero mission?the remake of the first game? lol Nintendo already did that for you xD i doubt any fan made changes can beat that remake ever imo.

lets see metroid zero mission changes
16bit graphics
new sprites
new backgrounds
map system
save system
actual interesting boss battles
new end game content to enhance the game

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
oh you mean metroid zero mission?the remake of the first game? lol Nintendo already did that for you xD i doubt any fan made changes can beat that remake ever imo.

lets see metroid zero mission changes
16bit graphics
new sprites
new backgrounds
map system
save system
actual interesting boss battles
new end game content to enhance the game
I dont think the aim is to beat the remake. This is clearly a labour of love project.

Reactions: cvskid

Scriber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 407437

Welcome to the future of the internet, where you're punished if you try to have fun...
unless its the way corporations want you to have fun.

no it doesnt.
Updated link is on Infidelity's archive page.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Scriber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i believe he has the right to rant all he want here, no need to move along.
Shitting all over something that somebody else put their own free time into and that doesn't affect you in any way because it's entirely optional is asinine, and utterly ridiculous. So, 100% move along, go play Zero Mission and stop attention-seeking.

AnthonyXeno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this change the difficulty of the NES original in any way or is it still as difficult?
I'd still play either way cuz i love the original.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Shitting all over something that somebody else put their own free time into and that doesn't affect you in any way because it's entirely optional is asinine, and utterly ridiculous. So, 100% move along, go play Zero Mission and stop attention-seeking.
Its his right as a free person. Just as its your right to say what you do.
Its not that complicated really...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.