Nintendo explains why SNES games Are New3DS exclusive.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the original PSP can play PS1 games the original 3DS should be able to play SNES games.
Clock for clock it's roughly the same in terms of the speed differential. (The consoles are around 10x faster than what they are trying to emulate)
Also Nintendo made both the 3DS and SNES, they should have a fairly detailed idea on how both consoles work, enough that they should be able to program something that can simulate the SNES hardware using the 3DS hardware.
Honestly I don't think anyone who has an original 3DS would really care that their game was not pixel perfect. To me this reeks of being a cash grab by Nintendo. That said, it makes me wonder if they'd make more money from selling SNES games to both 3DS types or more from everyone upgrading to the N3DS.

Reactions: funnystory

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If the original PSP can play PS1 games the original 3DS should be able to play SNES games.
Clock for clock it's roughly the same in terms of the speed differential. (The consoles are around 10x faster than what they are trying to emulate)
Also Nintendo made both the 3DS and SNES, they should have a fairly detailed idea on how both consoles work, enough that they should be able to program something that can simulate the SNES hardware using the 3DS hardware.
Honestly I don't think anyone who has an original 3DS would really care that their game was not pixel perfect. To me this reeks of being a cash grab by Nintendo. That said, it makes me wonder if they'd make more money from selling SNES games to both 3DS types or more from everyone upgrading to the N3DS.
It's because the SNES' GPU is too fucking weird for the o3DS to handle.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I find funny is that Nintendo let a game cut corners to be on the O3ds. Seen a lot of people saying this game should have been a N3ds exclusive, as if they have to buy it on the O3ds. Hyrule Warriors is the game I'm talking about. Now they decided to keep games a N3ds exclusive, to not cut corners and people still complain?

Not to mention, people wanted more exclusives for the N3ds, anyway.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What I find funny is that Nintendo let a game cut corners to be on the O3ds. Seen a lot of people saying this game should have been a N3ds exclusive, as if they have to buy it on the O3ds. Hyrule Warriors is the game I'm talking about. Now they decided to keep games a N3ds exclusive, to not cut corners and people still complain?

Yeah, that whole situation is kind of stupid.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Pretty sure PSP benefits greatly from having the same CPU architecture base as the PS1, not to mention PS1 graphics are done by rendering primitives to a buffer in VRAM, which pretty much all devices do nowadays. The SNES has practically no similarities to the 3DS, in CPU architecture, in graphic rendering, etc.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I'm not familiar with the hyrule warriors situation, but am I correct in thinking that the "cutting corners" in hyrule warriors goes a bit beyond a few pixels not being rendered perfect?

I'm curious what you mean to say with your last sentence. Are you saying that games that can legitimately be bought and played on wii, wiiu, super nintendo (!), and illegally played on more devices than you can throw a stick at...can somehow still be called "exclusive"? :unsure:
C'mon, dude. I don't want to debunk your opinion, but you've got to admit it's pretty far fetched. It's like ubisoft or EA deciding to limit their PC games to top-of-the-line alienware PC's "because we can't guarantee 60FPS at all times on anything below that".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo did not care much about accuracy in the past, going right back to the GBA and the classic NES/famicom mini stuff.
If they want to switch up and claim accuracy is their new path in life then that is their prerogative I guess. Same deal if they had straight up said marketing stunt/can't be arsed (and take it as upping the ante on the trolling front). And yeah you can trot out things like on http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/ all day long I suppose to try to backstop your position.

That said I am still going to cough and call wanker like on that splatoon voice chat thing last year, the sony PS3 can't support rumble however many years ago ( http://www.videogamer.com/news/playstation_3_controller_loses_vibration.html ) and so on and so on.

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is still my favorite image whenever I would see whenever these topics come up in the past:
Ea6DN8b.png

Last edited by SuperSVGA, , Reason: I can't anything

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with the hyrule warriors situation, but am I correct in thinking that the "cutting corners" in hyrule warriors goes a bit beyond a few pixels not being rendered perfect?

I'm curious what you mean to say with your last sentence. Are you saying that games that can legitimately be bought and played on wii, wiiu, super nintendo (!), and illegally played on more devices than you can throw a stick at...can somehow still be called "exclusive"? :unsure:
C'mon, dude. I don't want to debunk your opinion, but you've got to admit it's pretty far fetched. It's like ubisoft or EA deciding to limit their PC games to top-of-the-line alienware PC's "because we can't guarantee 60FPS at all times on anything below that".
Obviously meant exclusively between the 3ds and New 3ds, but I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

Except people are so petty, I'm pretty sure people will complain about the O3ds Snes not running as well. Probably by some of the same people complaining now.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
BlargSNES may not run perfectly, but it still runs. Honestly, this just seems like a shitty move trying to force users to upgrade instead of spending a few extra minutes to make the emulator work. If hackers have the power to make a playable emulator, then Nintendo should have more power to make it work better, it's their product, no excuses.

Reactions: vayanui8

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how it runs on the o3ds with the n3ds clock speed.
Sounds dangerous.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BlargSNES may not run perfectly, but it still runs. Honestly, this just seems like a shitty move trying to force users to upgrade instead of spending a few extra minutes to make the emulator work. If hackers have the power to make a playable emulator, then Nintendo should have more power to make it work better, it's their product, no excuses.

No. Not the same thing. They could have lowered the quality of their work to release on the O3DS. Personally, I'm glad they didn't. I prefer quality over quantity.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

So you want Nintendo to make something as inaccurate as blargSNES just so they could get it running on o3DS, and put a price tag on it? Because that's likely what would happen, and they'd likely be scorned even more if that happened. They understand their hardware, but the o3DS by nature was not designed with SNES emulation in mind, and should they have tried anyways, they'd be sacrificing the very things that are important in official products. Accuracy, stability, etc.

Reactions: VMM and Gray_Jack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.