Gaming Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
..verbal bollocks..

Tsk tsk, triple posting in the space of half an hour? Wouldn't be so bad if your posts actually meant anything - Foxi4 is also running with the pitchfork, but at least he makes a decent argument..... There's just too much fail to even dissect on yours - trolling perhaps? :P

Muffy's [recent] Generation Game[ing] (oo how corny...)

Gen 5: Main Course of PS1, side order N64 (Saturn? Dessert! :D)
Gen 6: Main Course of PS2, side order GC (Xbox? Box outside the door to wipe any dog shit off your shoes on)
Gen 7: Main Course of 360, side order Wii (PS3? Dessert! :D)
Gen 8: Main Course of PS4, side order Wii U (Xbone being back to a box outside the door by the looks of it...)

After the SNES Nintendo's consoles have become a great side order, and sure 99% of the time I'm only buying them for Nintendo games, but so what? I'm not alone - SM3DWorld has sold over 2.5million copies (enough to make Nin a fair bit of dosh - you can guarantee dev costs on that weren't exactly reaching Halo proportions...). Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic, and will shift a few units - haters still gonna hate and all that, but tough, live with it! Game will sell in excess of the 2.5million Mario's done too.. Not Wii version figures, but hardly the sort of figures that'll send the company under. Smash Bros & (maybe) Bayonetta 2 will also make a profit. Wii U is another fantastic side order, and that's all I want!

Wii U will always be a sales disaster of course - I think they'll be lucky to reach 8-figures - but never enough to kill the company off, and they'll not make the same mistake again. Either they go software only (for consoles, though handheld dedicated games machines only have one more generation left, if that), or they bring out their next gen console that will go toe to toe with the competition.
Wii was a fluke in the sales, that market has gone, and they've learned that the hard way here - won't happen again! (before you start Foxi4, N64 & GC didn't win I know, but they sold enough, Nintendo stayed in the black throughout both of their lifespans, and they sold far in excess of what the Wii U is gonna make)

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
God, this thread and all other ''Wii U is doomed/dead/failure/retarded/aids'' just contain the same arguments and points and they are regurgitated over and over and over...
I like the Wii U, but it's hard to argue that the Wii U is not a failure as of now. It has only sold around 5,9 million units in almost 1,5 years. It is *again* experiencing a software drought, it's not getting a lot of third-party support and the support it is getting is mostly compromised of indie developers. Not to mention its first-party release schedule is Mario Kart 8 (May 30th) and then... nothing... (no, vague dates like ''somewhere in 2014'' don't count)
Nintendo can still improve the situation, in my opinion, but it probably won't ever be a succes. All it can achieve is being moderate.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been refraining from saying it, but Nintendo will abandon this console. They won't make an announcement, obviously, there shares would crash and sales would plummet.

What is announced already will be seen through, I imagine they will make a few of the usual Nintendo fanfare games over the next few years, nothing exceptional. All resources will be plowed into the next system. What I am trying to say is, any original ideas they may have had, will be developed for games on the new system a few years down the line (Nintendo has used this stragtegy several times in the past). No truly ground-breaking games on the Wii-U then. I love Nintendo.

Before anyone thinks I'm hating, I grew up on their systems and games. I also understand that as a business, they sometimes have to make tough decisions, for the good of the business as a whole, securing it's future. Unfortunately, despite my affection toward them, this very well could be my last Nintendo system, I am far from being the only person who feels this way.

Reactions: chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as the hardware goes it's entirely likely the Wii U won't be supported for a ten year life cycle. I imagine to surpass the gap further down the line in terms of graphics and power, they'll have to push out a competing system sooner then later.

I don't imagine it happening any time soon though. I'm positive they'll try to keep it on life support for a good 4-5 years before they even think of pushing out a new one.

After all, supposedly this gen of consoles is supposed to be a 10 year life cycle from Xbox and Sony.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been refraining from saying it, but Nintendo will abandon this console. They won't make an announcement, obviously, there shares would crash and sales would plummet.
What is announced already will be seen through, I imagine they will make a few of the usual Nintendo fanfare games over the next few years, nothing exceptional.
I think they've already internally abandoned the Wii U. Of course, they won't publicly say it. Retailers have abandoned the Wii U.

All resources will be plowed into the next system. What I am trying to say is, any original ideas they may have had, will be developed for games on the new system a few years down the line (Nintendo has used this strategy several times in the past).
Ideally they are doing this.
They also need to make games for Smartphones ... to get new people loving Nintendo IP.

It is possible shareholders will reject Nintendo releasing another console. The Wii U may be the last true home console.

The Nintendo Fusion concept seems like they are going to make a "Combo" home console + handheld UNIT. Which to me, means they are exiting the home console market as any handheld system is not powerful to be considered a home console.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I've recently seen some new gameplay footage and listened to an extensive interview and a lot of my gripes with the game have been addressed, so I'm willing to try this out. I mean, the plot of the cartoon is based on humour and character development, the stories are written by ex-Simpsons writers and the game is developed by ex-Naughty Dog employees - this almost sounds like a recipe for success. As for multiplatform titles, I think this generation those titles will be on my PS4 list of purchases rather than the Wii U one unless the gamepad significantly improves gameplay, and I haven't seen a lot of that going on.

True, almost every game its just a map screen which is kinda nice on the gamepad but its got all these functions that is never used. There is one exception which is ZombieU, that game really is a horror survival that uses the gamepad perfectly.
Well I take my Wii U to other people's houses and on vacations. Sometimes I even take it to different rooms because I'm no longer tied down to a TV. The save data and updates (so sick of those day-one 1GB+ updates for games) are quickly filling up my internal storage though, so I've got all but the smallest VC games on my HDD.

I've even considered getting one of those car adapters so I can take it on trips and people can play in the back seat. I used to have one for my PSOne. You can use a power inverter to work with any console of course, but it's pointless if you don't have a built-in TV.
My early teenage years I would have loved a Wii U. My cancer had me on the road constantly back and forth to Memphis TN I always brought my PS2 or GC but never could play them until I got to where I was going. Even in some of the hotel rooms we stayed it I was unable to hook up the systems because of the locks on the back of the TVs.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Third Party game makers didn't do well on the Wii ? Why ? Are you sure ? I assumed they did quite well because of number of Wii consoles sold (large market).

Hardware sales doesn't always translate to software sales. Nintendo sold a lot of Wii's because the motion controls attracted a lot of new customers. It brought in "casual" gamers who liked to play Wii Sports and the like. But after the gimmick wore off, they moved on to other things and never bought a lot of the other games third party game makers made. If they did still use their Wii, they were content with the games they did buy and never really bought new games except for maybe the first party titles like the Mario games.

The Wii became known as the dust collector. Not all Wii's suffered this fate. I'm sure quite a few normal gamers and Nintendo fans who bought into it. But for the most part a majority of the people who bought it, didn't buy most of the third party games.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't really know, but in one of the last Nintendo Directs I saw a few indie games being announced for the Wii U.
I managed to find this though.
While I agree with the point you are making, both Sony and Microsoft have a program/focus on indie developers.

PS. Just to add to the question of what type of games I have on the WiiU.. Mainly first party games (WWHD, NSMBU, SM3DW, etc) and a few cheap concept games like ZombiU. I'd have bought games like mass effect, but I already owned them on the ps3/360 with far better support (ME For example is a trilogy meant to be played as a trilogy)

D

Deleted-188346

I've been refraining from saying it, but Nintendo will abandon this console
They might, but who the hell would buy a future Nintendo console if they might abandon it too? If the Wii 2 (they'll likely abandon the Wii brand for their next console) is launched, I'll certainly be waiting a year and a half before purchasing it, just to see if they abandon it.

If enough of the market waits, the launch will be botched, the hype will die, and another console will be buried.

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the future of the Wii U. If it dies with a "great games, great effort, poor marketing" legacy, then Nintendo are set. If it dies with a "utter disaster, abandoned console, regretting the purchase" legacy, then Nintendo will be irreversibly tainted for some time.

If Nintendo suddenly added a massive catalog of Nintendo DS games to the Wii U E-Shop however, then...mother of god. Bottom DS screen = gamepad, Top DS screen = TV. fffffffffff

Reactions: dario14

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really know, but in one of the last Nintendo Directs I saw a few indie games being announced for the Wii U.
I managed to find this though.
This. It's still not the same sort of push as Sony or Microsoft, but stuff is coming.... Most of those titles don't really interest me either, but I'll reserve judgement until I've tried them - could be a couple of hidden gems in there! 'Hidden' being the operative word in the Wii U's case!

Otherwise, as my 'side order', I'm just happy with 2 or 3 Nin games a year on it anyway - colour me easily pleased I suppose!! Foxi4 & osirisjem, the Wii U does deserve most of the flak you're giving it (notably Nin themselves for seemingly not even trying to market the thing!), but I'm still enjoying it. And not the only person either - there's at least three 3 other people in the world *blushes*. Not trying to defend my purchase either - I've also recently bought an Xbox One and will happily slag off THAT piece of shite any time you want me to! :D

Reactions: T Link7

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an interesting thing to think about too.
If Nintendo Pushed out a new console 5 years down the line, what happens with backward comparability? Do they continue to offer a tablet controller for the new system as well? Do they give you the ability to Buy a seperate tablet for play with certain games/ previous Wii U games? Or do they drop backwards comparability alltogether?
Maybe down the road they can offer the same streaming service Sony and supposedly Xbox will have and you'll be able to stream Wii U games through the new console?
It's certainly interesting to think how they'll be able to push out something new while catering to the fans that may be upset with the Wii U.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamepad (tablet like controller) exists for Wii U mostly because Wii U was designed for Japanese gamers in mind. In Japan most people live in an apartment with only one TV. Nintendo therefore introduced the idea of Gamepad to allow gaming without TV.

If you look back you'll also realize that 3DS is designed with Japanese gamers in mind. Streetpass works in Japan because most people commute on public transportation, and the street is crowded everyday. Outside of Japan Streetpass simply doesn't work.

I personally think that's a problem with Nintendo, they take very little into account of western gamers.

D

Deleted User

Where can I buy wii u super mario bros u bundle with FREE shipping for max 300 $??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 🫂