Nintendo claiming ownership on Youtube videos featuring their product

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a shit analogy.
That's a shit response. My analogy was perfectly reasonable and deals with all the same problems faced with video game playthroughs.

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement, even if it has your voice / face plastered all over the top. Legally, Nintendo (and every other game publisher) could sue for these videos. The only exceptions are game reviews, however playing through an entire game does not exactly constitute as a 'review'.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shit response. My analogy was perfectly reasonable and deals with all the same problems faced with video game playthroughs.

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement, even if it has your voice / face plastered all over the top. Legally, Nintendo (and every other game publisher) could sue for these videos. The only exceptions are game reviews, however playing through an entire game does not exactly constitute as a 'review'.

Fair Use.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So if I just love the 'charm and hard work' of Stephen Fry's voice and he goes and makes an audio book, should the writer not receive any of the profits?
The point of the book is the information, in audio format it's still the same information.

On the other hand, gameplay is the point of a video game. Interaction. You don't get that from watching somebody else play.

And before you try to convince yourself that it's the other way around, ask yourself this. Should it be illegal to go over to a friend's house and watch them play a videogame? I used to do that all the time. Am I in the wrong for watching them? After all they only bought the copy for themselves, and have no distribution agreement.

Reactions: emigre

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I have a few thoughts to share on this:

It's clear that this initiative was started by YouTube, not Nintendo; they have made similar offers to others, including Notch for Minecraft videos (which considering the vast magnitude of Minecraft videos and the relative size of Mojang compared with Nintendo, would probably have been a much more tempting offer than the one to Nintendo). Of course, Nintendo still accepted the offer.

This will undoubtedly lead to a few things;

(i) people will stop making videos about Nintendo games - this is an obvious response, and it means a serious dip in "free" advertising (although I guess it's not really "free" when you weigh it against the potential revenue gained by doing the deal). Many people don't have the disposable income to buy every video game they want, and so naturally they turn to reviews etc. to help them choose. In this day and age, that means, for many people, YouTube videos. The advertising given by YouTubers is probably worth more than the ad revenue on those videos.​
(ii) YouTubers who do keep using Nintendo games in their videos will move to other monetization methods e.g. merchandise, or in-video ads/sponsorship. For the former, there's probably not much Nintendo could do. For the later, there is potentially grounds for them to take action, I'm not too sure. (I would hope there isn't, but I would also have hoped they wouldn't have been able to get the ad revenue in the first place).​
Either way, viewers will be bombarded with either extra advertising (the regular YouTube ads plus the in-video ads), or else with requests to buy merchandise. Lose-lose for viewers IMO, which in turn decreases viewers, which in turn decreases effectiveness of these videos as an advertising mechanism for the games.​
I also think it is somewhat ridiculous that Nintendo will be able to control where the videos can be watched, the age ratings, etc.

So as you can see, I am opposed to the idea (even though I never watch any sort of game play or LP videos on YouTube, nor create them).

On the other hand, I can understand why Nintendo might want some sort of control over videos concerning their products, but I sincerely hope this doesn't lead to any form of censorship from Nintendo, as that would set a very dangerous precedent for YouTube IMO.

I think this is a poor choice, and I think it will create bad publicity for Nintendo, which is yet another downside to the whole thing.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
internet is too advanced for the current copyrights laws....
and personally, judging from how fast the net is evolving, I think that will never change
this will be a constant struggle, with the bigger boys taking advantages over these "grey areas" and getting all the cash

I believe the only way to bring balance to this "corporative abuse"... is piracy
Nintendo is getting money from a youtube video you have worked so hard? just pirate a couple of games and "get your money back"

there's no other way around it.... the world just work that way

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
YouTube LP's = advertising...
then again, I have a friend who used to just watch let's plays instead of buying games cause his computer could not run them.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the wonderful world of Youtube. For many it has provided one of the most innovative new careers in modern history, being able to do your own pet project, such as a Let's Play series, and be able to get paid for it. This is thanks to Google's AdSense, a program which gives Youtubers money for the ads on their videos. For many, this makes up their living, especially the frequent Let's Play series by many Youtubers. Now, however, it seems avoiding to play Nintendo games for Youtube is a safe bet, as Nintendo is beginning to crack down and claim ownership on videos featuring their games.

By claiming ownership, videos featuring their games get all their ad money sent to Nintendo instead of the creator. An example is Youtuber Zack Scott, who is currently doing a Let's Play of Nintendo's recently released Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. This report is also backed by Mike Bithel, creator of indie game Thomas Was Alone and the hugely popular series of Youtube channels Machinima.

In response, Nintendo issued the following statement:

A reminder that content ID matches aren't copyright infringement charges, but are still pretty bad. If a video is correctly content ID'd, that means that the owner (Nintendo in this case) controls a lot of aspects of the video, such as when ads play, what countries the video can be shown in, even if it can be shown at all. All the ad revenue from that video goes to the owner as well.

So if you're a LP'er or even use Nintendo game footage, images, or audio for your Youtube videos, it might be best to avoid them for now.

:arrow: Source
That's really shitty as the amount of money they are getting means nothing for Nintendo, but as for the uploader, it could be a good source of beer money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/4l3lyXcUDkI?feature=shared&t=43