Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo begins deploying NX SDK to developers

nx.png

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Nintendo has begun distributing software development kits for the new NX to developers.

The article also reads that people familiar with the project say that the NX consists of both a console-like device and handheld unit, as per the rumours; and that Nintendo is planning to use "industry leading" components after criticism with the Wii U regarding its graphical capabilities.

Expect more details on the NX to surface next year, presumably around E3. GBAtemp will keep you updated on any new developments.

:arrow: Source (WSJ)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No the biggest thing (not) learned is that the tablet is a gimmick and that people sitting in front of a giant HDTV don't want to be staring at tiny screen on their lap.
I disagree, I think that it's a great concept for asymmetric gameplay and being used as a quick-access menu, it's just being misused most of the time

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
["And any company using android HAS to give out the kernel source code"]
Source?

https://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

As the kernel is Linux it will be GPLv2 and thus any modifications will have to be redistributed, as indeed Nintendo already does for things that they use and require such redistribution http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/index.html
Much of the rest of it is apache and that changes a few things ( http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 ) with regards to having to distribute changes.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a question, somewhat related to NX, or maybe not.

Would people be satisfied if Nintendo's next handheld was around PSVita ballpark, or would they perfer it to be more advanced.

I personally reckon Nintendo can produce some pretty looking games with the PSVita level capabilities. Maybe they can aim a little higher over the vita. There's a lot of choices for them, some really good current ARM chips. Either way I'm eager to see what they end up choosing because it's mostly likely a major stepup from the 3DS.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have mostly written the 3ds off on the game front and I am not seeing any movement that would indicate they are going to make anything competitive. However from a raw technology perspective it could be good to ponder. Making a relative power to performance calculation would be too much like real work so I will assume they pick a middle ground there.
The main problem with lower power devices is it means you have to actually think about programming. Consider something like scrolling in 2d games, or do not and just read https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true instead, and what was a hardware limit, today your multi GHz X86 CPU is going to laugh at doing anything there but when you are pushing a small embedded processor to the limit then you have to be in possession of some talent. Already with Android we have already seen what can be done when people are allowed to do Java where on the GBA and DS it would have required big boy programming skills to really get things done.

It is not a complete killer but that is a major reservation about that sort of thing.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree, I think that it's a great concept for asymmetric gameplay and being used as a quick-access menu, it's just being misused most of the time

I agree. I enjoy both the motion and tablet "gimmick". The Wii U is capable of great second screen experiences but developers are doing it wrong. I'm hoping the NX is another Android device but I'm sure the chances are slim.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really hard to chose between the gamepad and the Wiimote set. Depending on game, but another than that, Wiimotes overall design is the best. It less cramped and more versatile than the other controllers. Best fit for motion controls that games still use today. Like I would use motion controls in splatoon if it used the Wiimote. Does it need updating? Should the just connect the devices (wiimote and nunchuck) into one and have it closer to "traditional controls"? Maybe, but that doesn't make them bad.

Last edited by KingVamp,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyway... I'm sure it will at least modestly outpaced the Vita. I'm fine with that.
I hope it will be a lot more than just Ps Vita, I hope it will be at least as much powerful as ps3 was. I really hope it will be more powerful.

I don't know the specs of the PS Vita and I never played it or PSP but I'M pretty sure it must be like all handheld console :
Gameboy/Gameboy color were NES quality
Gameboy Advance, SNES quality
Nintendo DS, N64 quality
Nintendo 3DS, Gamecube quality
New Nintendo 3ds, Wii quality

So, I supose that
PSP, PSX quality
PSV, PS2 quality

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope it will be a lot more than just Ps Vita, I hope it will be at least as much powerful as ps3 was. I really hope it will be more powerful.

I don't know the specs of the PS Vita and I never played it or PSP but I'M pretty sure it must be like all handheld console :
Gameboy/Gameboy color were NES quality
Gameboy Advance, SNES quality
Nintendo DS, N64 quality
Nintendo 3DS, Gamecube quality
New Nintendo 3ds, Wii quality

So, I supose that
PSP, PSX quality
PSV, PS2 quality
Well, one of the reasons the Vita failed was because it was too powerful. It meant games needed a bigger budget, while maintaining a small price tag since it was still mobile.

Here, this video sums it all up:

That video shows that mobile consoles need to be practical, not just have the highest end specs they can throw in there. By that regard, why not just throw in an Nvidia Tegra and play full PC games like the Shield devices do?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Almost sounds like it's going to be WiiU+. Let's hope that's not the case, and that they keep the NX codename afterwards. Seriously, that's an awesome codename :P
I liked Revolution. It's so much better than a childish word for penis.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By the way, does the Fusion was a Nintendo rumor or only a fan-based rumor?
I remember when Fusion was on everyone lips saying that there would be a Fusion Terminal and a Fusion DS
They could work together or alone just like the GBA and the GameCube did for some game, except that more games would have options if you have both of them.

Honnestly, I would love to see such console. I know many people would complain about "OMG, another corporation who care only about my money", but if you don't NEED both console but you unlock options by having both, then yes,
TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY (throw money at screen).

If Fusion was a real project once, I really loved the idea :)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, one of the reasons the Vita failed was because it was too powerful. It meant games needed a bigger budget, while maintaining a small price tag since it was still mobile.
Ehh it failed just like all the other competing handheld consoles did because Nintendo has that market locked down. That's not including all the people who buy other mobile devices like smartphones/tablets, so the audience for handheld consoles is dwindling anyway.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Ehh it failed just like all the other competing handheld consoles did because Nintendo has that market locked down. That's not including all the people who buy other mobile devices like smartphones/tablets, so the audience for handheld consoles is dwindling anyway.
Right. Nintendo making mobile games kinda sealed the debate on that topic if ever there was one.

Not to mention those "Free-to-Start" games on 3DS nowadays, with microtransactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1