Nintendo Announces Super NES Classic Edition

SNES_Mini_Box.jpg
H2x1_NintendoClassicMiniSNES_image912w.jpg

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo’s follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time – classics such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid and F-ZERO.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo's follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time. (Photo: Business Wire)

On Sept. 29, this beloved console is coming back to stores in the form of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games and can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released … anywhere!

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • EarthBound
    • Final Fantasy III
    • F-ZERO
    • Kirby Super Star
    • Kirby’s Dream Course
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man® X
    • Secret of Mana
    • Star Fox
    • Star Fox 2
    • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Punch-Out!!
    • Yoshi’s Island
All of these games would be considered classics by anyone’s standards, and some of them in particular – Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – are massive role-playing games that can take dozens of hours to complete. Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)

Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers, perfect for playing multiplayer games. Having two controllers will make it easy for two players to dive into multiplayer action right away. Some of the games with multiplayer options include Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Mario Kart, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Secret of Mana.

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

:arrow:Super Nes Classic Official Site

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, someone is saying that it'll still "ship to the US" as you can use a US Amazon account and go to the UK store, preorder it, despite it saying "won't ship to US", so how does that work? Why would Amazon UK allow a US customer to buy something that won't ship? Just to screw you out of money?
Amazon only charges when it ships. Both GAME and Amazon only hit my credit card for 1 GBP each.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I imagine the American SNES Classic will sell out too, of course, but it won't be as much in demand as the European version. I didn't grow up with the SNES as I played Mega Drive back then but I love the design of the PAL/JP SNES.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you change to global shipping on Amazon?
I didn't. I clicked the link for SNESC. I logged in with my US Amazon credentials. I clicked pre-order, and went through the same process I would with any domestic purchase, selecting my address, payment info and delivery options.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Here's how it will go down:

pre-orders up!
*blink*
sold out!

ebay time!!!!!
wallet jumps out the window

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine the American SNES Classic will sell out too, of course, but it won't be as much in demand as the European version. I didn't grow up with the SNES as I played Mega Drive back then but I love the design of the PAL/JP SNES.
It's a remnant of the Video Game Crash of 1983. That's why the NES looks like a VCR in the US, and they used silly terms like "game paks" and "control deck". Nintendo didn't want it to look like an Atari/Intellivision/Coleco, etc. They kept up that idea slightly with muted colors and a boxy appearance for the SNES. I like the concave/convex buttons on the US SNES controller, but the purple is fugly.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't. I clicked the link for SNESC. I logged in with my US Amazon credentials. I clicked pre-order, and went through the same process I would with any domestic purchase, selecting my address, payment info and delivery options.

Yes, see mine did the same, but I cancelled it because I wasn't sure if it would work.

But, http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...classic-edition-than-the-nes-classic-edition/

Sounds like they learned their lesson and will produce more, which is good. So, are you saying if it truly wouldn't ship outside, US customer's wouldn't be allowed to order this?

Edit: "Global Delivery made easy by Amazon. Package tracking with import fee deposit estimated and customs clearance on your behalf. Learn more"

Wait, so maybe it DOES work

Last edited by the_randomizer,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, see mine did the same, but I cancelled it because I wasn't sure if it would work.

But, http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...classic-edition-than-the-nes-classic-edition/

Sounds like they learned their lesson and will produce more, which is good. So, are you saying if it truly wouldn't ship outside, US customer's wouldn't be allowed to order this?
No idea. I hope it's just a false alarm, and it will ship. The preorder link isn't even correct, it's listed under "Nintendo Switch". I would think a company like Amazon with all their fancy programmers would actually prevent me from completing my order.

I'll believe Nintendo about supply when it's not $500 on eBay on October 1st.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This package is exciting to me for only one reason - it features an original ROM of localised StarFox 2 instead of a leaked beta. That ROM will likely be extracted, and I do wonder if it will work correctly on original hardware. If it does, it'll complete the SNES ROM collection, which is great. Besides that, I'm not really interested in an emubox, even branded by Nintendo - it's just a useless gadget.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source on that? It didn't say that on Nintendo's official page?
The announcement on Kotaku referenced it http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700

"Oddly, Nintendo says you’ll have to beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock Star Fox 2. From the press release: “Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)”"

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I would definitely rather have this than an NES Classic. I just hope it doesn't have the same supply issues as its predecessor.
It's gonna but you have the chance to pre-order it so get to it, though for US buyers it's not up yet (I think).

SNES Classic will probably go for ridiculous prices due to the inclusion of Star Fox 2.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The announcement on Kotaku referenced it http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700

"Oddly, Nintendo says you’ll have to beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock Star Fox 2. From the press release: “Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)”"

That's...really weird of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @RedColoredStars, yeah the symptoms you describe sounded like that, I'm not a Dr though I'm sure...