Nintendo Admits 3DS Won't Beat Regular DS on Battery Life

The Pi

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Better get used to seeing your 3DS sitting in its cradle, as Nintendo says it's going to be spending plenty of time there.

The 3DS's glasses-free, handheld 3D gaming comes at a price, and I don't just mean the couple of hundred dollars it's going to siphon out of your wallet. All that technical wizardry is going to drain the battery down pretty quickly, a fact that Nintendo isn't trying to hide.

Speaking to investors, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata said that it was inevitable that the 3DS would need more frequent charging than the older DS models, which was part of the reason that the 3DS came with a dedicated battery-charging cradle. The power drain involved in using the device would seem to be considerable, because Iwata said that he thought Nintendo might need to explicitly tell consumers to put their 3DS on charge as soon as they got it home.

It's not really a surprise that the 3DS battery isn't going to last for hours and hours; bigger screens and a more powerful processor are going to eat charge pretty quickly. Iwata's comments seem to imply that the battery life on the 3DS is significantly less than the regular DS, but presumably it will improve greatly by turning the 3D effect off.

Source

Price, autoupdates, bad battery life, the 3DS is becoming less and less attractive, I might wait for the "lite" version now
frown.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I can live. I charge the damn thing every day anyway. Just turn down the backlight, turn off the 3D when you get over it, and you'll be dandy.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shaunj66 said:
Man I wish battery tech would hurry up and improve. All these new devices could really benefit from them. Imagine not having to charge something for months... I can't wait for the day.
Yeah, I'm the same; the tech itself seems to improve while the batteries stay as they are.

Although there was that article posted here a while ago about a new type of energy storage technology. Might have a look for it.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
thegame07 said:
shaunj66 said:
Man I wish battery tech would hurry up and improve. All these new devices could really benefit from them. Imagine not having to charge something for months... I can't wait for the day.

I'm sure I read recently something about devices being charged by wifi signals? http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/airnerg...to-exist-video/ think this is it.
DO WANT!

Anyway, the battery of the DS, how long does it last? My DS only lasts for like 1,5hour, cause I think the battery broke..

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ProtoKun7 said:
shaunj66 said:
Yeah, I'm the same; the tech itself seems to improve while the batteries stay as they are.

Although there was that article posted here a while ago about a new type of energy storage technology. Might have a look for it.
you mean this? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91029160532.htm

Silicon gel batteries will be a long way off yet

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I miss my old Nokia N73, could use that mobile for 1½ week without charging it once and now with my iPhone 3G i have to charge the unit each night
frown.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
I must buy an alternative battery.

That's what'll probably happen if it's that bad. I'm thinking that it'll still be able to run bare bone (again, no back-light, no 3D) for at least 6-8 hours, and that's more than good enough.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS didn't have bad battery life at all. If alternative batteries are needed, they will become available.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
shesh, of course its not going to last as long as the old ds, but whats the big deal? none of our great pocket computers work for a whole day do they?

as long as i still have a charger cable, ill be ok, always felt silly playing outside or in the train anyway

also about alternative batteries, by that you mean the batteries that dont exactly fit into the console? those that have like a bump twice the size of the normal battery?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's sad that it won't hold a charge as long as the regular DS, but in that case, I'd like to know how well it can hold a charge AFTER long-term use. I've gone through 2 batteries on my DSphat, and this 3rd one is barely giving me 2 hours worth of ON-time. If the battery in the 3DS can hold a charge longer after long-term use over my DS over that same period of time, then I'll be glad.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
That's to be expected...a better battery would probably jack the already high price anyway. It's not a problem for me as I play my games at the house most times and if I'm out I don't play it that much (unless I'm bored)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E