GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Jakob95 said:
Hadriano said:
It needs proper sticks/nubs for 3D games, on the DS the d-pad wasn't good enough for 3D control.
I never understood why people didn't like D-Pads for 3D controlls. On my PS2 for some 3D games I used my D-Pad instead of the analog stick.
This. When I played Super Mario 64 DS, I had no trouble using the D-Pad.

agreed

D

Deleted_171835

ProtoKun7 said:
Jakob95 said:
Hadriano said:
It needs proper sticks/nubs for 3D games, on the DS the d-pad wasn't good enough for 3D control.
I never understood why people didn't like D-Pads for 3D controlls. On my PS2 for some 3D games I used my D-Pad instead of the analog stick.
I found it a bit harder in Super Mario 64 DS. It would allow me to go forward, right and forward right but nothing else. Analog stick is much more accurate.

AcIdPort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, this video show us more about the new 3D features on the new DS system. Looks great! Enjoy
yaynds.gif

QUOTE said:
READ BEFORE WATCHING!

A video of an upcoming DSiWare game shows how the new Nintendo 3DS games will look and play!

Please Note this is not a video of the Nintendo 3DS, But the game shown on the DSi is very similar to what the 3DS games will look like.

Check out my channel for more coverge on the Nintendo 3DS.

Autor (youtube): pokemonfreak907

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Jakob95 said:
Hadriano said:
I found it a bit harder in Super Mario 64 DS. It would allow me to go forward, right and forward right but nothing else. Analog stick is much more accurate.
It hurt like fuck using buttons.

Maybe my hands are too manly.

D

Deleted User

Hadriano said:
SoulSnatcher said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Jakob95 said:
Hadriano said:
It hurt like fuck using buttons.

Maybe my hands are too manly.
I could never play Super Mario 64 DS properly when using the buttons. The only time I enjoyed playing it was on my DS phat using the "thumb strap" you got with it, but I never played it on my DS lite or DSi afterwards.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AcIdPort said:
Hi, this video show us more about the new 3D features on the new DS system. Looks great! Enjoy
yaynds.gif
Different thing. This is DSiWare, and it'll be slightly different for the 3DS, I'd imagine.

Also, 1,800th post.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I adapted to Mario 64 DS' controls, but yeah they were bad. I just learned to tolerate them. But i think a lot of the issues with Mario 64 DS' controls wasn't so much the fault of the dpad as badly programmed movement physics. I felt there was too much momentum. First of all, i don't feel like waiting 2-3 seconds to get moving, or to even stop fully. They're too laggy. Secondly, i didn't like holding Y to run. I think running automatically would have felt better, with Y being a walk button. The main reason i don't fault the DS there fully is that i've played other 3D DS platformers which had no control issues. Crash of the Titans, Tak Great Juju Challenge, Kingdom Hearts DS, and even the movie game G-Force. All of those are extremely responsive with platforming 3D DS controls IMO. Oh and i also didn't like the touch screen controls either, they made you keep having to slide the finger repeatedly to maintain speed.

Course, there's no true replacement to an analog stick. Let's hope this has one, or something. I'm just saying the controls in Mario 64 DS probably could have been done a little better. I feel they have been done better. Even with the limits of the dpad.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playing 3D games with a d-pad isnt that bad,sure the control stick is always more convenient but its not necessary but then again i think im just used to the d-pad after 20+ years =p

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what to buy anymore..... DSi XL, DS2 3DS? What? WHICH ONE NINTENDO????

WHICH.....ONE!!!!!!????

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TM2-Megatron said:
BlackDave said:
I don't know what to buy anymore..... DSi XL, DS2 3DS? What? WHICH ONE NINTENDO????

WHICH.....ONE!!!!!!????
If you're 65+, get a DSi XL.

If you're anyone else, wait 'til the next generation (which is the 3DS).
I like bigger screens, but I'm under 20.
I don't want to get the 3DS. I'm not anticipating the release of the 3DS, it doesn't look appealing to me. Even with these new features.
This is the first time I've ever felt pissed about a console releasing. I didn't care less about the DSi, the PSP go I actually looked forward to, and the DSi XL was my ideal option of purchase. Now right before I'm about to buy a replacement DS (DSlite died
dry.gif
), they go out and announce a new DS. Also, I don't want to wait until 2011 just to get a DS, and I don't want my newly-purchased Acekard 2i to go to waste.

And next thing you know, Nintendo announces a new handheld right before the 3DS launches, and people like you will tell people to wait for the new handheld.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
TM2-Megatron said:
BlackDave said:

WHICH.....ONE!!!!!!????
If you're 65+, get a DSi XL.

If you're anyone else, wait 'til the next generation (which is the 3DS).
I like bigger screens, but I'm under 20.
I don't want to get the 3DS. I'm not anticipating the release of the 3DS, it doesn't look appealing to me. Even with these new features.
This is the first time I've ever felt pissed about a console releasing. I didn't care less about the DSi, the PSP go I actually looked forward to, and the DSi XL was my ideal option of purchase. Now right before I'm about to buy a replacement DS (DSlite died
dry.gif
), they go out and announce a new DS. Also, I don't want to wait until 2011 just to get a DS, and I don't want my newly-purchased Acekard 2i to go to waste.

And next thing you know, Nintendo announces a new handheld right before the 3DS launches, and people like you will tell people to wait for the new handheld.

Bigger isn't always better. If you're under 20, your eyes should be good enough that you only need a screen that's so big, on a handheld. The fact is, the XL is mostly being targeted at an older market. Maybe you've just got old person eyes, lol.

The main difference is that the 3DS isn't just another DS, like the DSi and DSi XL are... those two are basically slightly newer versions of a 5 year-old device. The 3DS is a next-gen handheld. Since we know almost nothing about it, what exactly is it that you find unappealing? If it's only because you don't want to buy an XL now that it's been annoucned, that just means you're impatient. If you want to save a bit of money, but another DS Lite instead... there's a reason Nintendo is still selling them. The Lite was the best redesign of the DS; the DSi and XL are just afterthoughts.

If you really like the look of the XL, then buy it. Just don't expect it to run 3DS games when they start coming out... though I imagine regular DS games will continue to be released for a while after the 3DS, given how popular a system the DS is. And it may not be a full year until the 3DS comes out, anyway. All Nintendo has said on the subject so far is that it's going to be released "in the fiscal year ending March 2011". That means anytime from April this year to March 2011... my guess is that it will actually come out in 2010, in the last few months of the year.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TM2-Megatron said:
Bigger isn't always better. If you're under 20, your eyes should be good enough that you only need a screen that's so big, on a handheld. The fact is, the XL is mostly being targeted at an older market.I don't like playing on small wimpy screens. Once you've actually seen the screens of the DSi XL, you'd probably think the DSi/DSlite has wimpy screens too.
TM2-Megatron said:
The main difference is that the 3DS isn't just another DS, like the DSi and DSi XL are... those two are basically slightly newer versions of a 5 year-old device. The 3DS is a next-gen handheld. Since we know almost nothing about it, what exactly is it that you find unappealing? If it's only because you don't want to buy an XL now that it's been annoucned, that just means you're impatient. If you want to save a bit of money, but another DS Lite instead... there's a reason Nintendo is still selling them. The Lite was the best redesign of the DS; the DSi and XL are just afterthoughts.Once again, the DSlite has teeny tiny screens. And I was planning to buy a DSi (My DSlite broke in October), but they announced the XL. And I've been holding out ever since. I was planning to buy a lot of DSiWare (Photo Dojo for example), and I also bought a Acekard 2i. Both of those probably aren't going to work on the 3DS. They haven't even made the DSi Mode hack available to the public yet.QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 23 2010, 09:47 PM)
If you really like the look of the XL, then buy it. Just don't expect it to run 3DS games when they start coming out... though I imagine regular DS games will continue to be released for a while after the 3DS, given how popular a system the DS is. And it may not be a full year until the 3DS comes out, anyway. All Nintendo has said on the subject so far is that it's going to be released "in the fiscal year ending March 2011". That means anytime from April this year to March 2011... my guess is that it will actually come out in 2010, in the last few months of the year.
I dunno, the 3DS still seems kinda gimmicky to me. Nintendo's probably going to make another console right after. Besides, we don't even know what kind of games they're releasing on it. If it's the same as what could've been on the DSi, then it's useless. The DSi is the GBC of this generation anyway. Why couldn't they let the DSi live for 2 more years? (btw, there's only 3 DSi-only games right now)

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
I don't like playing on small wimpy screens. Once you've actually seen the screens of the DSi XL, you'd probably think the DSi/DSlite has wimpy screens too.

Probably not. I haven't used the word "wimpy" in about 12 years. I've been happily using my DSLite since buying it a few months after they first came out. I've played a DSi, and was largely unimpressed. I've seen 1:1 scale examples of how much bigger the XL's screen is, and while I admit it's quite a bit larger (unlike the DSLite to DSi, the XL actually has a noticeably larger screen), I have no desire whatsoever to buy one. The Lite is still the best version of the DS, IMHO, and I'll continue using it until I buy a 3DS.

YayMii said:
Once again, the DSlite has teeny tiny screens. And I was planning to buy a DSi (My DSlite broke in October), but they announced the XL. And I've been holding out ever since. I was planning to buy a lot of DSiWare (Photo Dojo for example), and I also bought a Acekard 2i. Both of those probably aren't going to work on the 3DS. They haven't even made the DSi Mode hack available to the public yet.

The screen might be too small for you, but it's fine for me (and many others). A bigger screen might be nice to have, but at a cost of $200 CDN and losing the ability to play GBA games? Not to mention that the colours options it comes in look like they'd be better suited to being on the interior of a senior citizen's car, lol. No thanks.

QUOTE(YayMii @ Mar 24 2010, 12:15 AM)
I dunno, the 3DS still seems kinda gimmicky to me. Nintendo's probably going to make another console right after. Besides, we don't even know what kind of games they're releasing on it. If it's the same as what could've been on the DSi, then it's useless. The DSi is the GBC of this generation anyway. Why couldn't they let the DSi live for 2 more years? (btw, there's only 3 DSi-only games right now)

And you've just pointed out why the DSi is so pathetic. Yeah, it did have more powerful hardware (powerful enough to make a moderately noticeable difference)... but did anything ever really use it? Nope. Because the vast majority of people still own DS Phats or Lites, and if Nintendo released any really major software (let's say, the recently released Pokemon Hg/Ss games) as DSi-exclusive they'd risk alienating a large percentage of their customers... not to mention losing a lot of sales from people who wouldn't be able to play the games.

The rumours floating around are that the 3DS could be nearly on the level with Gamecube-level graphics, ignoring the stereoscopic 3D feature (which will probably be able to be turned off and on at will, anyway). The games the 3DS is going to be getting certainly wouldn't have been possible on the DSi... that was only moderately updated, and nowhere near powerful enough.

scribleofbaja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I can't believe I am the first one to this! My first post too, yes!!
As you know Nintendo likes to rehash old ideas. That's right they are back at it
once again. They have taken a failed idea and turned it into something
that will probably work. Does seeing 'red' remind anyone of the painful
days of Virtual Boy? This was going to be Nintendo's best 3D platform
and it failed. Just like the power glove failed and so on and so on.
Phew! Just glad I was able to beat another great mind to the punch
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I too can't wait to see this and hope they are able to make it better
than the VB was.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc