Hardware Nintendo 3DS to come with '3D control stick,' vibration

D

Deleted_171835

dudeonline said:
What sucks, is people blind in one eye will not be able to use this at all.
Hopefully, Nintendo will not make all the games 3D only. Then again, Nintendo shouldn't be expected to provide ways for everybody included the disabled to play games. It wouldn't be feasible for Nintendo to incorporate things in the DS to help blind people. It's a sad fact.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dudeonline said:
What sucks, is people blind in one eye will not be able to use this at all.

Sharp's LCD features the ability to turn the 3-D on/off at will. People with one eye will be able to use the handheld fine... just not with 3-D. Assuming this thing uses a Tegra 2 chip, people who don't like or can't perceive stereoscopic 3-D will at least still have awesome graphics.

QUOTE(xcdjy @ Mar 24 2010, 06:33 PM) Are we meant to be seeing 3D there? I think we're not, but just to be sure...

No. He's just shifting the videocamera left and right so that you can see that the monitor is giving off two different images to two different areas. Since videocameras only have one lense, they obviously can't perceive both images simultaneously (which is what you need to see 3-D).

D

Deleted_171835

xcdjy said:
TM2-Megatron said:
xcdjy said:
Aw hell. Looks like the only way we'll see it is a simulation vid @ E3. Everything is coming down to waiting 'til E3 lol.

It's not really a true simluation of what it would look like in person, but this guy on Youtube shot a video of a monitor he apparently turned into a very rudimentary parallax barrier display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZ59HfV2QY

Nintendo's would probably be more refined. The display in that vid started as a normal LCD, so it's probably a pretty crude example.

Are we meant to be seeing 3D there? I think we're not, but just to be sure...
Nope. Just the guys setup.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah and one handed people can´t use it too or blind people lol
No seriously Nintendo or any other company can´t think about everyones special case or state of his health and so on
wink.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dudeonline said:
With the no-gap dual screen, I have a feeling the screens will be broken easily by random shit being stuck between the screens while trying to open it.

I tend to have more faith in Nintendo's engineers than that. With all the consoles and handhelds I've owned from them (oftentimes multiples of the same handheld), I've never once had anything break on me.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TM2-Megatron said:
dudeonline said:
With the no-gap dual screen, I have a feeling the screens will be broken easily by random stuff being stuck between the screens while trying to open it.

I tend to have more faith in Nintendo's engineers than that. With all the consoles and handhelds I've owned from them (oftentimes multiples of the same handheld), I've never once had anything break on me.
It could have that flexible screen technology that's been mentioned in things like The Gadget Show, I think it's probably natural to OLED.

D

Deleted_171835

ProtoKun7 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
dudeonline said:
With the no-gap dual screen, I have a feeling the screens will be broken easily by random stuff being stuck between the screens while trying to open it.

It could have that flexible screen technology that's been mentioned in things like The Gadget Show, I think it's probably natural to OLED.
I doubt they used OLED screens in this. It'll be too costly.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
ProtoKun7 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
dudeonline said:
Same here - Can you imaging a Touch Sensitive, Flexible, 3D OLED Screen ?? - does such a thing actually exist ?? - I know each independant technology does - but an ALL-IN-ONE exist !!!!

I think Neogaf mockup is actually a pretty good version of what we'll see, but IMHO I still think there's gonna be a small gap between the screens - maybe a couple of millimetres

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
BlackDave said:
I don't know what to buy anymore..... DSi XL, DS2 3DS? What? WHICH ONE NINTENDO????

WHICH.....ONE!!!!!!????
From Nintendo: 3ds 3ds 3ds... lol
tongue.gif

Hmmm? What was that? Oh probably a fly passing by XD

TM2-Megatron said:
QUOTE(BlackDave @ Mar 23 2010, 10:18 PM)
I don't know what to buy anymore..... DSi XL, DS2 3DS? What? WHICH ONE NINTENDO????

WHICH.....ONE!!!!!!????

If you're 65+, get a DSi XL.

If you're anyone else, wait 'til the next generation (which is the 3DS).

wtf.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CannonFoddr said:
SoulSnatcher said:
ProtoKun7 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
dudeonline said:
Same here - Can you imaging a Touch Sensitive, Flexible, 3D OLED Screen ?? - does such a thing actually exist ?? - I know each independant technology does - but an ALL-IN-ONE exist !!!!

I think Neogaf mockup is actually a pretty good version of what we'll see, but IMHO I still think there's gonna be a small gap between the screens - maybe a couple of millimetres
I agree, it would be expensive, but I wasn't suggesting that they actually would, I was just mentioning what they could use if they were going to have one big screen.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Nintendo say it can play DS & DSi games so there must be a gap for camera to be in as some DSi "enhanced" titles need it. That said they could have an option to slide the screens together so that you could have one big screen but thenI'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to use that camera for the 3D titles and wouldn't want another just to keep some costs down.

Of course they didn't say "all DS & DSi software" so they could exclude those games just like the DSi excludes games like Guitar Hero due to the lack of the 2nd slot.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
maybe a batter with more voltage in it would work a bit of wonders on that.
but really 0_0
we are litteraly building into gaming...
what's next ?
a virtual reality project ?

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
haflore said:
I'm pretty optimistic about the 3DS, but what in the world could this "3D control stick(
wtf.gif
)" be?

I would bet that since the screens are "3D" (or 2d screens with an awesome camera for headtracking)
then it would be a wise guess that the stylus may work in 3d too.
for example the pen tip could be tracked by the camera too (or cameraS) and therefore allow pointing in 3d space in front of the screens.
this would also make sense of the rumble stylus patent... because you would want to feel an invisible 3D button being pressed...
just a thought.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to say that everyone who says that no one's going to buy this and that it won't work etc., just think back five years ago, when nintendo announced the wii (called revolution back then). Everyone said it would fail, but now it's nintendo's best-selling console EVAR!
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing how this'll turn out. Parallax barrier looks interesting, vibration is good and 3d control stick is WTF.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more