Nintendo 3DS gets a new firmware update for version 11.14.0-46

dims.jpg

2020 hasn't been the most stable year, but at least Nintendo is hard at work making sure that above all else, the Nintendo 3DS is the most stable thing in your life during these trying times. The system has just received a brand new firmware update, the first of 2020, to be exact, bringing the revision number to 11.14.0-46. Currently, the yls8 page shows us that a few changes were made regarding the web browser, NATIVE_FIRM, and more. The official changelog from Nintendo says the oh so popular phrase you've come to love:
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
Considering the random nature of this update, and the first few initial claims of those that took the plunge already, you might want to hold off on updating for right now, if you value having homebrew on your console. Reports state that Luma3DS is crashing, and that BrowserHax has been patched.

:arrow: Source

Machismo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I literally just got a NEW 3DS XL last night. I brought it to work with me, and I updated it to have it ready to use the browserhax method for CFW. Are you telling me that I have the worst timing in the history of the world? That wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: Disco and ldeveraux

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So I literally just got a NEW 3DS XL last night. I brought it to work with me, and I updated it to have it ready to use the browserhax method for CFW. Are you telling me that I have the worst timing in the history of the world? That wouldn't surprise me.
Yes,browserhax won't work on the new FW,use seedminner instead of browserhax with the guide

Machismo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing about that, is that I was going to move over my games and saves from another system that I used the broswerhax method on. Would that create a problem?

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How annoying, next time I play 3ds there will be updates & crap to do probably involving a pc.
They need to quit the fight or at least make sure their stuff is compatible with Luma

IceyyColdSnipez

GBAtemp's Certified Meta Runner™
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@PabloMK7 Will there be a update for CTGP 7 so we can use it again without trouble. Cuz i Updated and used the patch luma but then CTGP 7 requires that it have a special luma version WINCH kinda bricked my new 2ds but luckly i had a back up. cuz right now i dont have a laptop or phone so...
(Sorry if this is offtopic but just wanted to share it with you guys that if you wanna play CTGP-7 DO NOT UPDATE TO 11.14 DO NOT!!!!!!!!!! YOUR SYSTEM WOULD LOCK UP... Unless you have a backup of a earlier version of your 3ds frimware.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You have said that several times, but that is simply not the case. Not in the last few years, at least.
Arguing semantics doesn't change anything. There are far more userland exploits that have been patched out compared to the amount of times Luma3DS has been broken. Userland exploits are far easier to patch out for Nintendo through OFW update. Where as deeper entrypoints that Luma3DS uses, such B9S, is near impossible for Nintendo to update to remove. Coupled with the fact that Nintendo can't update the bootROM, meaning even if they did try to update and remove B9S, it simply requires one of the unpatchable methods to get B9S and Luma3DS back up and running. When a userland exploit is patched, it's pretty much done for. You are going to need to wait for another userland exploit to be found or use another one if there is one. This is avoidable with a CFW.

Even the last time userland exploits got broken, fixing steelhax, at least, was also simply a matter of updating one file (namely otherapp.bin). Picchax would have been the same, but it wasn't even out at the time.
That's a lot more work than just having a CFW. You are just arguing to make work for one's self for pretty much no reason.

And if your interests in homebrew extend only so far as messing with savedata, custom themes, and whatever .3dsx files are still working, then there is no reason to install CFW. Especially because if you get tired of userland exploits, you can quickly uninstall them forever and never have to worry about message board arguments ever again. :-p
You can still use a CFW for that and if anything, it's safer to use a CFW for all of these. It's not like you have an increased risk with using a CFW on your 3DS, hell, you actually have increased stability with a CFW. It's also really easy and safe to uninstall your CFW, it's not like the A9LH days of 3DS hacking.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@PabloMK7 Will there be a update for CTGP 7 so we can use it again without trouble. Cuz i Updated and used the patch luma but then CTGP 7 requires that it have a special luma version WINCH kinda bricked my new 2ds but luckly i had a back up. cuz right now i dont have a laptop or phone so...
(Sorry if this is offtopic but just wanted to share it with you guys that if you wanna play CTGP-7 DO NOT UPDATE TO 11.14 DO NOT!!!!!!!!!! YOUR SYSTEM WOULD LOCK UP... Unless you have a backup of a earlier version of your 3ds frimware.
Makes sense as it will install a 10.2 Luma version. It does not brick the system you just cannot launch 11.14 with it.
NTR CFW (for NTR stream) needs some research so it works again, that's why the CTGP-7 update is taking more time.

GbaNober

Trophies
XP
Country

This was a terrible year you should've waited till 2021 :rofl2:

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so this update is literally nothing but a trap for people stupid enough to update without thinking while using CFW
In fact.... most Sony and Nintendo firmwares are a trap in a way. Most people think that new games would require some new "features" or whatever which comes with the latest firmware like how you cant play a game that requires DX 11/shader model 5.0 on your PC aka GPU which has only DX 10/ Shader Model 4.0, or if your CPU has no SSE3 support which is a minimum to run some games. In fact...... new games on consoles dont work on older firmwares because they locked it on purpose (software), not because the games are using "something" like "hard coded" or whatever from the newest firmware.

Thats why you still can do franken firmwares on 3DS with GW3DS on the newest firmware and still play online. Also, thats why you see PS4 games from 5.50 - 6.72 firmware backported to 5.05. Same/similar was for PS3 and older Sony/Nintendo consoles.

Its rare that in the consoles late life cycle a new firmware actually introduces something really new which is a minimum for newest/upcomming games..... happens but rarely.

BTW dont know about Xbox xonsoles.....

Last edited by deSSy2724,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Userland exploits are far easier to patch out for Nintendo through OFW update.
Maybe they are, but many of them have been around for years and at this rate Nintendo probably won't patch them.

That's a lot more work than just having a CFW.
Copying an updated otherapp.bin to your SD card is exactly as much work as copying an updated boot.firm.

You can still use a CFW for that and if anything, it's safer to use a CFW for all of these. It's not like you have an increased risk with using a CFW on your 3DS
Like I said, there are people posting on these boards every day having one problem or another with CFW. Maybe you have absolute faith that you're smarter than all those people and that if you ever run into a problem, you'll have no problem describing it and finding expert advice that will quickly solve your problem without difficulty. I lack such faith.

We can disagree, you know.

you actually have increased stability with a CFW.
What, because you can disable arm11 error handing? That is generally not advisable.

It's also really easy and safe to uninstall your CFW, it's not like the A9LH days of 3DS hacking.
Usually no one recommends it because it is not particularly safe. Just look at https://gbatemp.net/threads/about-removing-b9s-and-the-safety-test.541718/ .

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...