Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am beginning to think the RTS cards seem to be the problem here.
Cant the RTS stuff be disabled?
Maybe some of those added functions are at fault.

I disabled RTS, DMA and soft reset. Doesn't work. I also think it's because of the linker itself. It's cheap for a reason .^^

Reactions: Anjiera

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I disabled RTS, DMA and soft reset. Doesn't work. I also think it's because of the linker itself. It's cheap for a reason .^^

This is really strange. I need to test if the original untranslated rom has the same issues for me (sleep mode not working).
Could you test if the original rom starts for you? Would be interesting to know.

Aenkyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much, Anjiera and all the team, for your fantastic work. I'll try the patch whenever I can, and hopefully it will work.

EDIT : Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I have a r4i+ 3ds/ds with rts from r4ids.cn. But I remember it worked with the spanish patch before, and it doesn't now, so I'll make additional trys (I only tested on my dsi, my 3ds is at home).
Well, anyways it still works perfectly on emulator so if I dont find another way, I'll play on my computer.

(description of the problem : I don't go past the white screen just after the r4 loads the game)

Last edited by Aenkyn,

trevo92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On December 9th, 2010 Level-5 and Studio Ghibli released the first game in the Ni no Kuni franchise, 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士 (Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi), for the Nintendo DS. The game came with a massive 352 page tome that was required to play the game, which ended up being the reason the game was never brought to audiences outside of Japan.

On December 9th, 2018 a plucky group of fans released the first fan-translated version of that same game, titled "NI no Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage" in English, following a Spanish translation several years prior. The fan translation comes with an even bigger 372 page book that is required to play the game, and which ended up being the reason that the game was released in December and not in the spring of 2018.

The download link is on the first page of this thread. I'll be posting to the RomHacking.net approvals queue shortly.

Enjoy!

==================================================
Rambly notes and things:

We know that there may still be issues with some flashcarts - if you have problems, please post them here. We know that we probably haven't caught every awkward line of dialogue or every typo, if you find stuff let me know here, and if it ends up being a lot of posts I'll open up a support email address or something.

I still need to type up the full list of flashcarts that we think work at the moment, but if you try it out on either an emulator or a flashcart please let me know if it does or doesn't work (especially if it doesn't!).

I also need to make up a list of known "issues", most of them being choices that we had to make that are not ideal due to the way that the game is coded. Hopefully they won't be things many people notice (abbreviations that we felt were a bit too abbreviated, and a couple of places where we chose to have longer text to fit the main location that the text is shown, but meaning that it overflows the screen in a couple of lesser used places), that sort of thing.

We have a thanks / credits page in the Magic Master book that lists all of the many people that have worked on the game over the years - it is much too long of a list to publish here without taking over a whole forum page, so i will refer you to the book.

I mentioned, above, that we added 20 pages to the original DS book. Those pages are: boss profiles (6 pages), the index card that was also a bookmark in the original game (7 pages to be legible in English, so we put it in the book), 2 pages of "notes" pages as filler to make the page count a multiple of 4 so that it can be printed in a booklet format (I've printed it, and it looks FANTASTIC), and 3 full pages of credits.

There are other things that I will think of that might be interesting to this group, but I'll remember them some other time. Right now I'm still dizzy with the rush of being done somehow. This project was starting to seem like it would never end!
Thank you guys! You are awesome!

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z012S utilizzando Tapatalk

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I have a feeling there may be issues relating to Anti-Piracy measures here.
Maybe the AP isnt patched out from the translated game?
Could someone here check if thats the case?
Our best hope would probably be if @FAST6191 had a look.
(Sorry for linking you, you were the only person i could think of who knows about this stuff)

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
On December 9th, 2010 Level-5 and Studio Ghibli released the first game in the Ni no Kuni franchise, 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士 (Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi), for the Nintendo DS. The game came with a massive 352 page tome that was required to play the game, which ended up being the reason the game was never brought to audiences outside of Japan.

On December 9th, 2018 a plucky group of fans released the first fan-translated version of that same game, titled "NI no Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage" in English, following a Spanish translation several years prior. The fan translation comes with an even bigger 372 page book that is required to play the game, and which ended up being the reason that the game was released in December and not in the spring of 2018.

The download link is on the first page of this thread. I'll be posting to the RomHacking.net approvals queue shortly.

Enjoy!

==================================================
Rambly notes and things:

We know that there may still be issues with some flashcarts - if you have problems, please post them here. We know that we probably haven't caught every awkward line of dialogue or every typo, if you find stuff let me know here, and if it ends up being a lot of posts I'll open up a support email address or something.

I still need to type up the full list of flashcarts that we think work at the moment, but if you try it out on either an emulator or a flashcart please let me know if it does or doesn't work (especially if it doesn't!).

I also need to make up a list of known "issues", most of them being choices that we had to make that are not ideal due to the way that the game is coded. Hopefully they won't be things many people notice (abbreviations that we felt were a bit too abbreviated, and a couple of places where we chose to have longer text to fit the main location that the text is shown, but meaning that it overflows the screen in a couple of lesser used places), that sort of thing.

We have a thanks / credits page in the Magic Master book that lists all of the many people that have worked on the game over the years - it is much too long of a list to publish here without taking over a whole forum page, so i will refer you to the book.

I mentioned, above, that we added 20 pages to the original DS book. Those pages are: boss profiles (6 pages), the index card that was also a bookmark in the original game (7 pages to be legible in English, so we put it in the book), 2 pages of "notes" pages as filler to make the page count a multiple of 4 so that it can be printed in a booklet format (I've printed it, and it looks FANTASTIC), and 3 full pages of credits.

There are other things that I will think of that might be interesting to this group, but I'll remember them some other time. Right now I'm still dizzy with the rush of being done somehow. This project was starting to seem like it would never end!

Great @Anjiera ! @Chary this deserves a first page news :D

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
The patch contains the AP fixes (I have just double check it).
In some flashcard, especially in R4 and YSMenu, it may not work because the firmwares contains a whitelist of "supported games". If the game it's not in that list, it won't even try to boot it (errors -4, -6). That's a very cool feature of flashcards and firmwares that force you to buy the latest one. The game should boot on any flashcard after the AP fixes but you know... your firmware needs to have the game in the list.

The list may contain the "support" for the unpatched game, but after applying the patch the firmware will think that the patched game is different. This is because the list contains the game code and a CRC checksum.

For the Spanish translation we provided with patched firmwares. I don't quite remember the process I followed 3 years ago but I will try to do the same this time.

PS: This game contains MANY many AP code (technically very interesting, at runtime it decrypts the AP code and encrypts again once it finishes). The original AP fixes only a small portion of it that seems to make it work in most flashcards. I don't know how that works (first time I see AP code and fix) so I can't remove it safely but with time, I may understand it finally.

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
@pleonex Thanks for taking the time to reply to this!
Do you know by any chance if the sleep mode issues are related to this as well?
For me the game starts and works well, but once i close the lid and open it again the DSi just won't wake up.

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@pleonex Thanks for taking the time to reply to this!
Do you know by any chance if the sleep mode issues are related to this as well?
For me the game starts and works well, but once i close the lid and open it again the DSi just won't wake up.
The sleep mode issue doesn't look related to AP issues right now, but we don't know the cause yet.

Update: the issue seems to be related to an AP-fix we did. To make it work in some flashcard we replaced the arm7.bin file from the file of an old game. A side effect is that if you put the game in sleep mode it will crash.
You can try to use the original arm7.bin file but it may not work on some flashcards. To make this change, use Tinke to extract the file "ftc/arm7.bin" from the unpatched game and replace it to the patched game.
We are still investigating how to make it works everywhere without problems.

Last edited by pleonex, , Reason: Information about the crash

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I am at work right now, but i can go home in an hour. Would be glad to try that and report back with my findings!
Thanks again to the entire team for all the hard work!

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is amazing, thank you so much to Anjiera and the team for translating this game!

On another note, I don't have time to play this game for a couple of weeks due to exams, but I can relate that it boots fine on my N3DS with AceKard 2i (FW11.8 with Luma3DS if it matters)

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
(...)
In some flashcard, especially in R4 and YSMenu, it may not work because the firmwares contains a whitelist of "supported games". If the game it's not in that list, it won't even try to boot it (errors -4, -6).(...)

That the error code I get (-6). I guess you're right.
The game try to boot though. It start loading then crash and give me error -6.

AL_16

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:D:D:D:D:yaynds::grog::grog::grog:
Thank U
Anjiera
so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
123671410_6474887.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2