Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

makkuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Google translate? I've tried that on the original game with Japanese. Yeah it didn't work so well...
Me too, I know.

However, I then tried the Spanish version and it was working quite well actually. But eventually I decided that's just too much hustle and I'm not that desperate. Also I respect this game too much to butcher the experience like this when there's a team hard at work on a proper English translation. So really my ultimate advice is: there are so many other things to do in life and games, just be patient and eventually you will be rewarded with much better Ni No Kuni DS experience.

CandyIsOk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respect this game too much to butcher the experience like this when there's a team hard at work on a proper English translation. So really my ultimate advice is: there are so many other things to do in life and games, just be patient and eventually you will be rewarded with much better Ni No Kuni DS experience.

Basically agree with everything you said, verbatim.

Reactions: Anjiera

Vulnerrac

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi !
I follow this project as a non-member since, well, many years now ^^
A friend offers me recently the DS game imported from Japan and I think to ask here if there may have been any possibility to find the translated text used for the emulation (even if the patch is not ready yet) ?

Thanks a lot for all the work you've done and I hope you will reach the end of this adventure !

AL_16

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi !
A friend offers me recently the DS game imported from Japan and I think to ask here if there may have been any possibility to find the translated text used for the emulation (even if the patch is not ready yet) ?

Thanks a lot for all the work you've done and I hope you will reach the end of this adventure !
Did U seen startpost? Patch is not ready yet. So no, little bit later... As people saying here - "soon":D

takechiyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi !

"Project Status - Summer 2018
Patch: Unreleased
Release date: When it is good enough for release (2018, 2019, 2030? when it's done!) It's been 10 years, you can wait a little longer.
Demo Release: No pre-patch or demo will be released, please just wait for the official release announcement.

Current Status: Translation completed, the team is formatting the text to look good on screen and fixing latest bugs before release.
Job wanted: None. Translation is done, graphics are done, hacking is done.
Play testers wanted: None. The team has enough play testers at this point. Thank you for your support.

Project started: before 2014.
Main translator, project reporter and coordinator: Anjiera
"

just wait a little bit more broo i'm sure the team are working it really hard, and they have to do their own life too, so we should just wait and hope, so that they could release it anytime soon

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, some long-overdue responses to everything other than "when will it ship" because you know when... that's right: when it is done. :)

==============================================

I'm curious, is there, or will there be, a list of all the flash carts this has been tested on?

We have tried a number of carts, we know what the Spanish patch works on and we are using the same patch process. We will ask people to post here if they get the game working on a flashcart that we are not aware of so that we can keep a list of what does and doesn't work.

After our initial release we will wait a month (or several) before we release an updated patch with any issues that players find once the game is out in the wild. But, flashcart fixes are tricky if we don't have that particular cart to test with, so if you try it on your cart and it doesn't work please let us know, but we might not be able to fix it - or at least not right away.

We have eliminated all game-breaking bugs (unless you use some of the cheats that we will warn you not to use), so as far as we are aware you should be able to play the game without any problems as long as you can get it to run in the first place. B-)

or maybe she'll announce a release date one day.

I have promised that you guys will be the first to know when the official patch is posted (outside of our team who will be posting it, of course). I didn't say I would tell you before it is posted, though. Gotta keep some things under wraps in order to hopefully avoid any C&Ds.

Holy Supernal Testicles, I had no idea there was a DS game in this series. Color me interested now, if such a color exists.

It does! That color is Jet-Black. ;)

(In case you don't know what I mean, we went with Ni No Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage as the translated title, as opposed to some of the other options)

You are lucky, you only have to wait few months ! we wait for 10 years :lol:

Now, now... They only announced the game in 2008. It didn't come out until 2010, so... you've at most been waiting for 8 years. Ha!

Thank you so much for these 4 years (or more I’m not entirely sure the exact amount of time) of hard, dedicated work on something to please us fans. Sending good vibes your way!

You're welcome! We've needed some good vibes to get us through these years, so it is always nice to hear from people... Even if I don't get the notification and I check the message 2 months later... (>_<)

a team of people that volunteered countless valuable hours of their life
AND IT WILL REMAIN COUNTLESS. I tried making a rough count in the spring of how many hours that I, alone, had put into this project since early 2014 and when I hit 700 hours I decided to stop counting. Hell, I've played the game through fully 3 times (~45ish hours each run with cheats all cranked up) and partial playthroughs for bug fixes for many more hours.

I don't have any playstations or a PC. Anyone else have a way to play NNK?
I have done a sh*tpile of testing on my Android phone using Drastic and (a long time ago) an USB-2-Go adapter and a USB SNES controller, but this summer an 8bitdo bluetooth SNES controller. Works super great, and people give you really weird looks when you are playing a game on your phone balanced on your backpack on a crowded train with a bluetooth controller. LOL. I love getting weird looks for being a nerd. If only they knew that I was playtesting a game I translated myself... then they would really understand how nerdy I am! :P

==============================================

As always, thanks for your patience, folks! You will get to play this eventually. We are working towards that goal, and I know you will enjoy the game when you get to play it. Like I said, I've played the whole thing more than 3 times and I still love this game. It has so much heart, and the graphics are really good even today. :)

We are dotting our i's and crossing our t's and trying to be extra paranoid about things right now. Lots of checking things to make sure they look like we want, and that we haven't stopped seeing problems because we've been staring at them for so many years. We've had some great feedback this summer from playtesters who have noticed things (typos, mostly) that have been there for a couple of years that everyone else has repeatedly missed, and we're glad we took the extra time to really let the game settle instead of rushing out a release.

We're still here, we're still working, we are trying to make sure the whole team is comfortable with the game before we ship so that nobody feels like their concerns went unheard. Lately we all seem to feel it is solid, but that doesn't mean we're going to push it out of the door right away. I will tell you guys first when I post the patch, but that's all I can ever say. I'll update the first post to say we are in extreme polish mode so that everyone knows not to freak out because we've been "done" for a while without it actually being available to play.

I hope you are all doing well, and that the games or volunteer projects or school or life or whatever it is that you are doing these days is treating you well!

blake-1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Going off guys keen up the good work. There are plenty of games out there to play while waiting for this gem to be translated. So patience to the impatient people, calm the farm.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On December 9th, 2010 Level-5 and Studio Ghibli released the first game in the Ni no Kuni franchise, 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士 (Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi), for the Nintendo DS. The game came with a massive 352 page tome that was required to play the game, which ended up being the reason the game was never brought to audiences outside of Japan.

On December 9th, 2018 a plucky group of fans released the first fan-translated version of that same game, titled "NI no Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage" in English, following a Spanish translation several years prior. The fan translation comes with an even bigger 372 page book that is required to play the game, and which ended up being the reason that the game was released in December and not in the spring of 2018.

The download link is on the first page of this thread. I'll be posting to the RomHacking.net approvals queue shortly.

Enjoy!

==================================================
Rambly notes and things:

We know that there may still be issues with some flashcarts - if you have problems, please post them here. We know that we probably haven't caught every awkward line of dialogue or every typo, if you find stuff let me know here, and if it ends up being a lot of posts I'll open up a support email address or something.

I still need to type up the full list of flashcarts that we think work at the moment, but if you try it out on either an emulator or a flashcart please let me know if it does or doesn't work (especially if it doesn't!).

I also need to make up a list of known "issues", most of them being choices that we had to make that are not ideal due to the way that the game is coded. Hopefully they won't be things many people notice (abbreviations that we felt were a bit too abbreviated, and a couple of places where we chose to have longer text to fit the main location that the text is shown, but meaning that it overflows the screen in a couple of lesser used places), that sort of thing.

We have a thanks / credits page in the Magic Master book that lists all of the many people that have worked on the game over the years - it is much too long of a list to publish here without taking over a whole forum page, so i will refer you to the book.

I mentioned, above, that we added 20 pages to the original DS book. Those pages are: boss profiles (6 pages), the index card that was also a bookmark in the original game (7 pages to be legible in English, so we put it in the book), 2 pages of "notes" pages as filler to make the page count a multiple of 4 so that it can be printed in a booklet format (I've printed it, and it looks FANTASTIC), and 3 full pages of credits.

There are other things that I will think of that might be interesting to this group, but I'll remember them some other time. Right now I'm still dizzy with the rush of being done somehow. This project was starting to seem like it would never end!

kazzimir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wohoo thanks god.. How do i play this? Just with the emulator? Thank gid for anjiera for doing all the best for bringing this gem on western.. We love you so much..

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wohoo thanks god.. How do i play this? Just with the emulator? Thank gid for anjiera for doing all the best for bringing this gem on western.. We love you so much..
Info on how to patch a ROM is included in the zip, alongside the Magic Master PDF and the patch file. You will need XDelta to patch it, and the instructions are in the zip. :)

Not just thanks to me, thanks to a crazy number of people! Once you've downloaded the zip file, check out the credits pages in the translated version of the Magic Master starting on page 365.

Merry Christmas! (^_^)

D

Deleted User

you guys are so amazing. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this. All the time from your personal lives to shared this with us. I cant thank you enough!

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i need a computer to be able to patch this? I guess I'll just wait for a patched game cuz i don't have a computer at the moment haha
I will type up a list of all the ways that we have tested, but I personally have played on an R4 flashcart, on a acekard flashcart, on desmume on Windows, and on three different Android emulators (but most often using Drastic).

We have a larger list of stuff that it works on, but I didn't want to spend the time to type it up tonight, I'll put it together in the morning and add to it as we get reports from people about what does and doesn't work.

Reactions: makkuu and kazzimir

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE