Next-Gen Poll: PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X?

PS5 vs XBSX GBAtemp Poll.png

It’s been about a week since we got a look at what games will be playable on the Xbox Series X; a couple of weeks after the PlayStation 5's own showcase aired. We now have a better idea as to what titles to expect from each next-gen console. Even if more details and games will be revealed in the coming months, we can already appreciate what each console has to offer in terms of games, features and specs. So how about a poll to see which console you'll more likely pick up? Before making a decision, let's roundup each console's features and games!

PlayStation 5

Sony was relatively tight-lipped when it came to news of the PS5. First it revealed the logo, then the controller’s design and some specs. We only got a look at the consoles during its Future of Gaming event in June. And yes, I used consoles in plural because there will be two editions of the PS5: a regular one with the optical disc and a Digital Edition.

So let’s see what Sony has to offer in terms of specs and games for next-gen gaming!

Specs

PS5 specs.PNG

Featured games

Right, what are specs without games? Sony had quite a lot to show during its Future of Gaming event from Demon's Souls Remake through a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn to the trippy Bugsnax. Here’s a highlight reel or if you wish to watch the full event, head here:

It’s good to note that while these games are planned for a PS5 release, not all of them will be available this year or even next. Moreover, not all will be console exclusives, so PC or Xbox gamers will be able to experience some of the same games shown here.

Xbox Series X

Compared to Sony, Xbox was more open about its next-gen console. By the time Sony only revealed the PS5 logo, we already had a detailed look at the Xbox Series X hardware. While Sony has confirmed two versions of the PS5, Xbox has only revealed only one version of its next Xbox. However, recent leaks suggest that Microsoft is also planning multiple iteration of its next-gen console.

Now, let’s see what has been touted as “the most powerful console ever” packs.

Specs

xbox series x specs.PNG

SOURCE

Featured games

Oddly enough, when Xbox shared the first look of games for its new console, it went for indie and third-party titles rather than first party games. However, last week we got a look at those first-party games such as the anticipated Halo Infinite, a new RPG from Obsidian and a new Fable teaser. Check out the highlight reel below or the full event here:

Your choice

While we have much more information about these consoles than previously, a lot is still unknown. Firstly, we don’t have any official information regarding the pricing of those next-gen consoles. This leaves a lot to speculate about. How much would you be willing to pay for a brand-new console in 2020? Additionally, an exact release date has yet to be announced, other than a planned ‘Holiday 2020’ window.

But it’s safe to say that you should start saving if you want to be among the first to enjoy next-gen console gaming. So which one will be your pick based on what we know so far? And do share what led to your decision below!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox become more customer friendly, while it seems PS is going the opposite direction. Xbox backwards compatibility is amazing and the console seems to be overall better.

That said, I never own a Xbox and probably never will. PS5 has the games I want and at least it is compatible with PS4. Not to mention, I wouldn't be surprised if it is cheaper.

Reactions: Xzi

SAXJONZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS5.
But I probably don't intend to catch it anytime soon, I don't even know how much it will cost here in Brazil.

Brazil sucks on that end. There is no reason to double, even triple the price on electronics. The three payment plan is the biggest scam ever. It’s good for us here in US. I bring three suitcases full of clothes, electronics, etc and while everyone gets the fire sale deal, we make enough to pay our trip and food for a month. Love Brasil hate what you guys are going through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moon164

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Might go for a PS5 but I will definitely not be buying it at launch. Maybe a few years after its initial release? Wanna save a hundred bucks so I don't really mind waiting.

Xbox Series X also looks nice, most especially because of backwards compatibility with all Xbox Titles (or so I'm told)

Reactions: SAXJONZ

beauricard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox Series X. Probably on sale a year or two after launch. Or when TVs with Auto Low-Latency drop in price.

I've been a Nintendo guy since the launch of the NES. They shit on their biggest fans with overly aggressive IP enforcement. Their online infrastructure sucks. I'm done.

Likewise done with Sony. PS5 is a hard pass for their willingness to shit on consumers. Exclusives are anti-consumer. Abusing market position weaponizing lack of cross-play is anti-consumer. Perhaps I'm still pissed off at the intrusive DRM in the form of a rootkit installed without my knowledge from an audio CD. Screw those guys.

No thanks to PC. Building a gaming rig is expensive. The graphics card alone to match the Series X would cost double what the whole console will cost. Series X is going to do a bang up job on the cooling as they did with the OneX. Easily the worst part of setting up a new gaming rig. My time is worth something too.

I haven't had a moral issue with Microsoft since the browser wars in the mid-90's. Gamespass is the Netflix for games except with more stuff I would want to play(/watch). It offers a way to try titles I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Lack of exclusives is a moral win in my book. Between that and the hardware it's a no-brainer value proposition.

Now get off my lawn and go back to your TokTiks or whatever you kids do these days.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi
IMO they should have never released the PS4 Pro nor the Xbox One S/X. If they never released it then it can justify buying next gen they not even giving Pro nor the X/S the courtesy of running next gen games atleast at 30 45-60FPS they are ditching it all together to push the next gen. I know alot of people are going to be pissed knowing they spent $400 on the Pro/ or the X just to spend $500 all over again.

@KingVamp
Sony is like Apple they have a popular user base so even though the services may not be top notch people are still going to buy them. Microsoft are doing all of the correct things with Game Pass and Backwards Compatibility the Series-X is more of a appealing console. I'll give some examples Apple will sell you an Ipad with no Pen but the end user is drinking Apple Juice they will buy the pen for an additional cost when technically the pen is supposed to come with the Ipad. Meanwhile Samsung offers the Tablet and the Pen is included. This is an example of a company actually caring about you versus trying to bleed you dry, I'm still very surprised that Apple and Sony are still very popular with people when their business practices are not for the people and more for profits.

Last edited by Goku1992A,
D

Deleted User

PS5 since I have a high end PC which I‘m upgrading every 1-2 years. Gamepass PC is awesome and covers every XBOX exclusive I want to play.

The only thing I‘m really interested tech-wise is Sony‘s 3d audio - that could be awesome and finally something new (couldn‘t care less about Teraflops).

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buying both as soon as they're available but no option for that so picked PS5 as it will be my primary platform.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
IMO they should have never released the PS4 Pro nor the Xbox One S/X. If they never released it then it can justify buying next gen they not even giving Pro nor the X/S the courtesy of running next gen games atleast at 30 45-60FPS they are ditching it all together to push the next gen. I know alot of people are going to be pissed knowing they spent $400 on the Pro/ or the X just to spend $500 all over again.
That's just the way things go with technology, both XB1X and PS4 Pro are considerably cheaper now than they were at launch. I'm glad I held off on buying a used PS4 until a year ago for that very reason. There's always the option to trade up too, though people may need to start relying on local stores for that if Gamestop folds soon.

Who knows, XB1X may even get extended support through most of next-gen if rumors of a 4 tflop "Series S" turn out to be true.

Neither because gaming is dead. 99 percent of games are mediocre trash.
If you believe in Sturgeon's law, 90% of everything is shit. Given that hundreds of games release per year though, 10% of that still adds up to be a hell of a lot of good games.

Last edited by Xzi,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the way to PS5, because I am huge fan of Sony and I loved God of War series and other that aren't available on the Series X. And also, why bother with Series X ? The Series X games will also be on PC anyway and I have the latest PC.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

froid_san

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I would get both, but I already have a PC that I plan on upgrading anyway when the new CPU/GPU comes out. So PS5 it is.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp: You must choose the lesser of two evils. Which one do you want - death by gunshot (Xbox) or hanging (PS)?
Me: ...Um, is there a third option?!? I like the one where you live (Nintendo).
GBAtemp: THERE IS NO THIRD OPTION (Nintendo does not have a new console yet). NOW CHOOSE.

...So, I chose. The rope burns still sting a little, though. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to desire the bike than it was worth tho.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to desire...