Hacking NEWER Super Mario Bros. Wii

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, Riivolution will be the method to launch our game. Put files on SD Card, insert retail NSMBW disk into drive, launch Riivolution.

There may even be a custom Newer Riivolution if the powers to be give us the go-ahead....

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, err...no chance of releasing a custom DVD image, like that 'the next levels' image that's floating around?
smile.gif

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't like the wording of my post so i edit it:

We will NOT be distributing illegal ISO's of Newer, nor any files that are illegal.
We will be distributing a pack that will work with Riivolution

What you do with the files once they are released is your own business, Newer simply will not be supporting pirarcy

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Considering how big this project is, I don't see why we'd shoot ourselves in the foot by releasing an illegal copy of the game. (Modifying files is a grey area as it is, but a full ISO would be completely illegal.)

If you really want to make an ISO - that's fine, we won't stop you. We just won't release the game that way. But do at least consider buying the game and supporting Nintendo, especially considering all the extra replay value that Newer (and other custom levels) add to the game.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
oneleggedjack said:
it's gonna happen no matter what.... thats just how pirates are
yaywii.gif
That's kind of hilarious. Have fun with that.

This game uses a ton of ASM/code hacks for everything from our custom world maps, to new objects. You'll need to apply these somehow. I'll be releasing them as Riivolution memory patches.

If I want to be evil ... then I can make them overwrite the Loader area (0x80001800), and therefore nuke USB loaders and the Gecko codehandler. And because they're required to play the game, that means you can't just remove them. You can't (easily) move them to another area either, because the code isn't position-independent.

Oh yeah, everyone said "Riivolution for USB loaders" was going to happen. How did that go?
wink.gif

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oneleggedjack said:
yaywii.gif

is that a challenge?
we could see how long it'd take for there to be a pirate ISO version.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@pop006 and treeki: thanx for the reply. I can certainly understand your position. And NSMB certainly is worth buying (even without extra modded content).
smile.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It doesn't make any diffenrence to me. I own NSMBWii. But it never got any homebrew dev fans to smugly try to disable piracy. Eh. Do what you will.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
We all know you ar smart and can do anything you want to happen, but there is a thing about being humble that makes people respect others more.
Hahahaha. DeadlyFoez is giving advice telling people how to be humble.
At various times you've attacked nearly half the people involved with Reggie/Riivolution, the latest episode was just over a week ago in which you called megazig and Omega "fucking pricks who wine like a couple of teenage girls having their first period." It's a bit late to start acting contrite.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Treeki said:
oneleggedjack said:
yaywii.gif
That's kind of hilarious. Have fun with that.

This game uses a ton of ASM/code hacks for everything from our custom world maps, to new objects. You'll need to apply these somehow. I'll be releasing them as Riivolution memory patches.

If I want to be evil ... then I can make them overwrite the Loader area (0x80001800), and therefore nuke USB loaders and the Gecko codehandler. And because they're required to play the game, that means you can't just remove them. You can't (easily) move them to another area either, because the code isn't position-independent.

Oh yeah, everyone said "Riivolution for USB loaders" was going to happen. How did that go?
wink.gif
I have respect for your work and knowledge, but please don't do a "rub it in your face" type of thing. It's kinda rude.
pirating games is also rather rude

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Argh, by reading this, I'm guessing I need to purchase the game in order to enjoy this.
ohnoes.png
And my Wii doesn't read DVD's anymore. Haha, I'm fucked.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just silly. i guarantee if we run a poll more than 50% of people who use customs for nsmbw do not use riivolution to do so. if i had to give a number, about 75% do not use it. thats my wager. so developing the levels to be used only with riivolution is great if thats what you want, but you will lose a lot of fans due to this.

im sure someone will either make it so a modded can be played or find a way to get it to load somehow. but i don't care i just want to see the work when its done.

keep up the hard work guys, hope it will be something cool in the end.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the continued interest from some of you.

lots of work is still being done on level design and graphics and sound sides.

the asm is coming along great too.
for those saying someone will make it work without Riivolution I have a question. If the mods require Riivolution calls to work, how will you get around that?
note: that's just the easiest of the techniques I've started working on.

WalkerD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't get it, why make something like this, hype it up for months(on GBAtemp no less), and tell people they can't play it? Not only that, but go as far as to be a total dick about it? A simple "You won't be able to play this unless you have the retail version of the game." would have sufficed. Actually, that would have been really classy. Instead you chose to go full on ass wipe about it and essentially tell pirates they can suck a fat one. Basically any respect that could have been garnered from making this incompatible with pirated versions of the game is completely nullified by your immature approach to the whole situation. Congratulations, I guess you could say you've made your first bad PR move.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkeybeast0,

I respect your opinion on the matter. perhaps words chosen weren't the best. but, it's tough to say this the first bad PR move. ( I'm sure there's been many already )

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
so I can't play this game later with my Mod-chips (Wode and d2sun).... I have to install some softmod stuff and have my original NSMB in drive? mhh...thats a bad, really would love to play this game. Waste of time for you guys, cause not many people will play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol