• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New USA President!

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused. Are you saying there are no rights for non-citizens? Or are you saying it simply isn't possible to violate any rights, and all complaints will be lies?

What I'm saying is that extreme vetting doesn't violate any civic rights, it just hurts people's feelings. It is a measure meant to protect our citizens and residents from potential external threats.

Also, the only rights someone has before being admitted into this country is to follow the procedures in accordance with the laws. They may have their feelings hurt, but that doesn't make it a violation of their rights.

Last edited by el_gonz87,

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I'm saying is that extreme vetting doesn't violate any civic rights, it just hurts people's feelings. It is a measure meant to protect our citizens and residents from potential external threats.

Also, the only rights someone has before being admitted into this country is to follow the procedures in accordance with the laws.
How would you measure the protection provided by "extreme vetting" to determine success? Do we currently have a serious issue with legal immigrants committing crime at higher rates than the general population?

Reactions: Deleted User

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you measure the protection provided by "extreme vetting" to determine success? Do we currently have a serious issue with legal immigrants committing crime at higher rates than the general population?

We shouldn't wait for attacks to happen to Americans before we act. I don't need to see some ISIS sympathizer enter the country legally and shoot up a night club or drive a bus into my fellas ow Americans. We should use Europe as an example, the terrorist attacks have increased with the surge of refugees from those high risk countries.

Just watch, Germany will elect a far right government next, because people feel their government is not protecting them.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We shouldn't wait for attacks to happen to Americans before we act.

It seems like you are justifying these actions with some theoretical future event instead of reality.

I don't want to wait for tiger attacks to happen to my family, so I'm going to buy a tiger rock.

Last edited by Blood Fetish,

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like you are justifying these actions with some theoretical future events instead reality.

I don't want to wait for tiger attacks to happen to my family, so I'm going to buy a tiger rock.

Except it's a moderately high possibility. Like I said we should use Europe as an example of the dangers of inadequately controlled refugee migration.

We don't need to have a potential terror attack on American citizens just because it may hurt people's feelings.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Europe is a hell of a lot closer to the middle east. We have an ocean between us. You genuinely believe there is a high probability that middle eastern terrorists are going to legally immigrate to the US and then commit mass murder or some other attack?

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Europe is a hell of a lot closer to the middle east. We have an ocean between us. You genuinely believe there is a high probability that middle eastern terrorists are going to legally immigrate to the US and then commit mass murder or some other attack?

I believe if we do not adequately screen refugees there is a moderate risk of an attack. Besides these aren't people that just crossed the border, Germany had a refugee that was let into the country legally kill 15 Germans at a Wine bar in the name of ISIS.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe if we do not adequately screen refugees there is a moderate risk of an attack.
Literally no one is arguing against that. The question is, do you believe we are currently screening adequately? It sounds like you believe we are not. I'm just wondering why you think that. Are you basing your opinion on facts or statistics or does this just feel right in your gut?

Last edited by Blood Fetish,

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally no one is arguing against that. The question is, do you believe we are currently screening adequately? It sounds like you believe we are not. I'm just wondering why you think that. Are you basing your opinion on facts or statistics or does this just feel right in your gut?

I don't think our procedures are much better than those of Germany for example. I also don't think they address the issue of radicalization after entering our country. It seems this new measure aims to allow people who not only don't have a prior history, but will also will be resistant to radicalization after entering the US. That's covering an issue our current system does not IMO.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't more people die every couple weeks in Chicago alone than the Germany attack? Is this really a proportional response to the threat?

Tell that to the family members of the 15 German innocent people who were killed because of a terrorist their country failed to prevent from entering. I don't believe in small numbers when it comes to Anerican lives. Should Chicago be a focus? Absolutely, Trump just states he is gonna sort that out too.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't pull a plea to emotion on me. So tacky and manipulative.
Speaking of immigrants and danger

"Immigrants are especially crime prone."
This myth has been around for over a century. It wasn’t true in 1896, 1909, 1931, 1994, and more recently. Immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated for violent and property crimes and cities with more immigrants and their descendants are more peaceful. Some immigrants do commit violent and property crimes but, on the whole, they are less likely to do so.
From CATO - https://www.cato.org/blog/common-arguments-against-immigration

So as one can see the hysteria of immigrant crime is not a valid reason of concern

Reactions: Aerocool

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't pull a plea to emotion on me. So tacky and manipulative.

No plea there fella! And your emotion, my emotion doesn't mean crap.

I'm just glad we have a president putting Americans first.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This myth has been around for over a century. It wasn’t true in 1896, 1909, 1931, 1994, and more recently. Immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated for violent and property crimes and cities with more immigrants and their descendants are more peaceful. Some immigrants do commit violent and property crimes but, on the whole, they are less likely to do so.

So as one can see the hysteria of immigrant crime is not a valid reason of concern

Hehe nobody is saying immigrants are more prone to attack. Simply that their crime is preventable as our government has an opportunity to screen them for a potential threat, we just need more scrutiny that's all.

We can't screen an 18 year old born here, otherwise I'd be for the government doing a good job of that.

I agree we have enough crime issues with our own citizens, we don't need to add to that by failing to screen people adequately.

Why do people take statements and run with them? Lol

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I find that the people who mock "feels" often use emotion based arguments.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hehe nobody is saying immigrants are more prone to attack. Simply that their crime is preventable as our government has an opportunity to screen them for a potential threat, we just need more scrutiny that's all.
Not all crime is preventable. As Americans we need to be brave.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all crime is preventable. As Americans we need to be brave.

We are bring in people who are bring in the worst of their culture; a culture that I remind you is not compatible with western values. Multiculturalism doesn't work, thinking otherwise is silly. We need to do better, it has nothing to do with being brave and everything to do with not being so prideful and stupid.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We are bring in people who are bring in the worst of their culture; a culture that I remind you is not compatible with western values. Multiculturalism doesn't work, thinking otherwise is silly. We need to do better, it has nothing to do with being brave and everything to do with not being so prideful and stupid.
Multiculturalism doesn't work? The US is multiculturalism.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ have you wore a skirt before?