Hacking New to buying Micro SD Cards, need help!

remjay24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never bought a Micro SD card for anything, so I wanted to be sure I am buying the right one. I bought the DSTWO online last night from a U.S. store and decided to not buy an SD card from them, as I figured it would be cheaper to find one on my own. After going to Best Buy / Frys / Toys R Us, the 8 GBs ones are going for around $30ish.

However, I found these two on Amazon for a lot cheaper. (around $11, including shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new

basically a Kingston vs a SanDisk. Are these what I need? I'm confused with the Kingston one listed as "Class 4 Flash Memory." I found some others, but say "for the samsung phone." Does it matter whether its strictly for a phone or not? Any help would be appreciated as I am quite a noob when it comes to these memory cards.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Kingston's quality is not "level".
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

The higher the "class" (such as class-2/4/6) of a card, in general the better it'll be for flash carts (as it'll be better-built), most people say a class 4 or 6 will do fine (and most class-2 cards will be fine as well, but they tend to be the cheap ones).

Flash cards made for phones tend to be shit from what I've seen, steer clear as well.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only site that I buy microSDHC cards from is Newegg because I've never had a bit of trouble out of them.
Same goes for A-Data brand cards.
I seriously suggest you shoot for Class 6 or higher.
Those are just my recommendations.

remjay24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll check newegg - have bought computer parts from them, just forgot all about em!

what about that ScanDisk card I listed? It doesn't show any "class". Is it worse than a 2/4/6 class card?

Thanks!

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Flashcart-wise, a Transcend/A-Data 8GB class 6 has generally been the best bet, but now a good microSD doesn't really matter anymore (that said, you should still get a good one)

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought an OEM SDHC card. Cost me £8.89 (about $13.36). I didn't want to at first, but after a short email I got a reply saying that they are Samsung SDHC cards with Intel chips (Intel = win, Samsung = win) So I went for it...No problems. Runs faster than any other flash memory I have (HP memstick, SanDisk cruzer etc) - 20mbps read, 19mbps write.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transcend is a good brand. I actually use and love one of their multi-card readers.
The card you chose should serve you well in the coming years.
Nice price, too. I may have to get one.

Glad we could help!

caribou007

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember a couple months ago I was researching what memory card to get for my Acekard 2i, and I saw people talking about an issue with Transcend cards being fragile and breaking.

However, I ended up purchasing the transcend 8gb card + reader kit from newegg, so I must have decided that it wasn't going to be a problem or else I wouldn't have gone ahead. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly. Does anyone know about the issue who can bring this thread up to date on it's status?

Edit: I should add that I did a bit of research on access times and compatibility as well, I remember I was being very picky about any potential problems and wanted to find the best one, and it was between Transcend and ADATA for the 4-8gb capacity, with Kingston being recommended for 2gb, and anything over 8gb having potential performance problems. I would absolutely recommend this kit as a match for an Acekard, based on the fact that, well, I got it for myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, wire is definitely more practical IMO. Hell these days you can charge a laptop over...