raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ps3-novo-anatel-hero.jpg

New design, should be a bit smaller than slim.

Reminds me of the CD32

cd32.png
But it's half as awesome as the CD32 was ;)

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder how smaller is it compared to the Slim... (the spacing/size of the usb ports hints at "not that much smaller").

PS1 > PSOne was quite great, and PS2 > PSTwo really impressed me, PS3 > PS3 Slim? Not so much...

drobb

Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my hopes, altho about as likely as sega going back to making consoles, is that its backwards compatibale again. if its cheap enough i may, may pick one up since i have a slim already thats been modded, this way i can still have an unmodded one.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that still doesn't explain the 16GB model for a system that as of the last couple of models, doesn't have an exceptionally easy HDD to replace unless you have the know how beforehand. You don't seem to own a PS3, so you probably don't know this, but I swear, near every game I ever put inside of the PS3 my brother now has instead of myself demanded a data install of some sort. These aren't small installs, at all. In fact, they're pretty damn big. This isn't even counting if you buy full PS3 games from the store, and the amount of space 10 or 15 PS1 games can take up. As a nice example, my brother has a PS3 collection of approximately 8 games currently (DLC for those that have it, of course), as well as around six or seven PS1 titles installed. The 120GB PS3 is filled to the brim, and old install data has been deleted as games have been traded out. The thing is still pretty much totally full.

What's going to be there to make a 16GB model appealing? It certainly won't sell at $150 if to make it useful, you have to spend another $60 to $80 on a new HDD to shove into it. I'm certainly not anticipating the higher memory models going for below $180 to $200 (so around $50 down from a new 120GB Slim currently). A new revision isn't a new color; you've gotta be pretty confident that it's going to be worthwhile to put it out there before you bother.
16GB isn't the only option. There's 250GB and 500GB.

It's not like most consumers will even know until they buy it. They'll prey on consumer ignorance. Soccer moms will see a 16GB PS3 for $150 and think of it as a huge deal.
The streaming idea is valid, I think. If you intend on using the game streaming, there's no need to get one with a huge HDD.
But they could just be releasing it as a budget console.

D

Deleted_171835

The streaming idea is valid, I think. If you intend on using the game streaming, there's no need to get one with a huge HDD.
Not going to happen.

All of Gaikai's image quality and latency optimisation efforts have been built around PC technology, which in the short term may cause issues for Sony, because cloud servers aim to provide tolerable controller response by running games at twice the frame-rate of a typical console title. Local latency on a 30FPS game (defined by the time taken between button press and the resulting action on-screen) is around 100ms at best, typically dropping to 50-66ms when run at 60FPS. Gaikai and OnLive aim to use that latency "saving" to offset the cost of encoding, transmitting and decoding video. The result is streaming gameplay with ballpark console response levels - in theory, at least.

There's nothing to stop Sony simply installing a big bunch of PlayStation 3s in each datacentre, but the result would be highly sub-optimal as there would be no 60FPS vs. 30FPS latency off-setting at all - all the 'cloud stuff' would simply be added to the existing lag. Sony's Remote Play isn't particularly effective for this exact reason, and that's running on a local connection.

http://www.eurogamer...ory-sony-gaikai

Current game streaming services are built for PC games that run at 60FPS. Latency would be complete shit with most PS3 games.

Not valid.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not going to happen.

All of Gaikai's image quality and latency optimisation efforts have been built around PC technology, which in the short term may cause issues for Sony, because cloud servers aim to provide tolerable controller response by running games at twice the frame-rate of a typical console title. Local latency on a 30FPS game (defined by the time taken between button press and the resulting action on-screen) is around 100ms at best, typically dropping to 50-66ms when run at 60FPS. Gaikai and OnLive aim to use that latency "saving" to offset the cost of encoding, transmitting and decoding video. The result is streaming gameplay with ballpark console response levels - in theory, at least.

There's nothing to stop Sony simply installing a big bunch of PlayStation 3s in each datacentre, but the result would be highly sub-optimal as there would be no 60FPS vs. 30FPS latency off-setting at all - all the 'cloud stuff' would simply be added to the existing lag. Sony's Remote Play isn't particularly effective for this exact reason, and that's running on a local connection.

http://www.eurogamer...ory-sony-gaikai

Current game streaming services are built for PC games that run at 60FPS. Latency would be complete shit with most PS3 games.

Not valid.
Okay, fair enough. Then advertising a cheap console sounds like the best reason to make a 16GB PS3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...