Gaming New pc ~700 euro (is it any good?)

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

I am planning on buying a new pc. I hope you could review it and let me know if it is any good or that you would make some changes. I am planning to buy everything on:
Code:
www.salland.eu
. I want to buy everything in the netherlands and prefer one supplier.

Around 725 euro is the maximum i would like to spend on it.

I use it most for downloading / burning / browsing / music --> all at once. O, and would also like to play some games on it (newest).

Code:
ProcessorÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ AMD phenom II X4 955 BEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ153,99
CPU coolerÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Cooler Master Hyper TX3ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 14,95
MotherboardÂÂ asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB 3,0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ131,85
MemoryÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4GÂÂÂÂÂÂ99,99
Graphic cardÂÂ Saphire radeon 5750ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ127
HarddiscÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TBÂÂÂÂÂÂ62,99
DVD burnerÂÂÂÂSamsung SH-S223L19ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 19
Card readerÂÂÂÂscythe kama reader 2ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ10
HousingÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Xigmatek asgardÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 33
PSUÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Be Quiet! Pure Power L7 430 WattÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ48
extra fanÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNexus Real Silent D12SL-12 BW, 120mÂÂÂÂÂÂ7,95

Total: 727.72 euro.

So, hope you all could help me and give me some feedback.... if everything is fine as it is please let me know
biggrin.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Where to begin...?

CPU: It should be fine for you. It's a quad core designed for gaming and media applications, although it may not be as powerful as a Core i5. Even so, modern games don't use the CPU as much as the GPU these days.
GPU: the HD5750 is probably the lower limit of GPUs for modern gaming. It'll handle most older games just fine, although when it comes to newer games it'll struggle to maintain high graphics on larger monitors. If you're using a regular 22" Monitor though, it should be fine. I'd still recommend getting at least the HD5770 if you can though.
PSU: 430W truely is the minimum to meet your requirements. It'll run, but personally I recommend getting 600W to allow possible future upgrades.

Others: The HDD is a good choice, the motherboard isn't anything special but it doesn't need to be, the RAM will suit you fine, and there's nothing to say about the ODD or the card reader. The Case was featured in last month's CPC magazine, although I've already had experience building with it so I can say that it took me a while to work out that it's best to take off the front plate whilst putting the computer together, and make sure that the top part is securely attached - it gets really annoying if it isn't (we got a discounted version because the top part had 2 clips missing).

EDIT: Just remembered, the some of the Asgards come with a strange quirk that the fans connected to the fan controls may not turn off when shut down. It doesn't happen with every case (regardless what components are used), although sometimes it can happen with certain PSUs that are set to keep the 5v rail active during a shutdown state (I think it was called S1 state, but I can't remember specifically). Sure, it's useful if you want to charge a USB device whilst the comp is off, but it can get annoying having the case fans on half the time. Even so, it can always be turned off by the switch on the back or by turning it off from the wall, so there are ways around it.

I'm sure other people will have more comments/suggestions on which parts are better suited, but with a budget of €700, give or take, there's not much room to stretch for the better parts.

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for the reply originality!!! Really works for me.

I have looked for a core i5 system, but the price was too high at the end.

For the gpu... a 5770 is about 25 euro more expensive... do you think its worth it? If so i will probably change the configuration. btw, i have a 19 inch monitor and not intending to replace it. ps. most of the time i play counter strike source.... but will probably try some new shooters.

I intend to upgrade in the future with an extra hd, extra ram and possibly a blueray player... so probably psu is too low as you say. I found this one:
OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt for 61 euro... any good? and is it enough?

For the price of the asgard i will try and hope the fan will shut down
biggrin.gif
.... other wise i will plug it from the wall
biggrin.gif
ps. if i connect the fans direct to motherboard/psu, and not on the fan controll, will they shut down normally?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Fans connected to the motherboard tend to undergo automatic fan controls, which typically means they'll be at 50-70% speed unless it feels it's getting too hot or really needs to squeeze out performance from its parts. You should be able to control this either through BIOS or through any normal temperature monitoring application like SpeedFan.

For the 5770, it's not really my place to say if the extra performance is worth €25. It runs in a scale going all the way up to 5870. The more you spend, the more performance you get out of it. I will say that you should get as high a card as you can afford, since the performance increase will mean that you'll be happier in the long run (as in, it'll be that much longer until you feel the need to upgrade again). In any case, no matter what card you get these days, it'll have no trouble with Counterstrike (or source). As for Battlefield or Modern Warfare 2... well, check the reviews and see for yourself.

Disk drives only take up 10W, give or take. I don't know about a BR drive but I assume it's not that much more. Either way, 550W will be plenty, and OCZ is a very good company for PSUs and RAM so you can trust them. I've never been able to find out how much power RAM needs, but again I assume it's no more than 25W for 2 extra sticks.

Master_B

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
oke, thanks for your help originality.

Hope to have some more feedback from some other guys and otherwise i will probably order the system in a few weeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps