New Nintendo protection broken in under 24 hours!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
New Nintendo protection broken in under 24 hours!
Mario Galaxy on CycloWiz & D2Ckey
mariopirate.jpg

It has taken under 24 hours for Team Cyclops to crack Nintendo's new copy protection on Super Mario Galaxy. The CycloWiz now joins the D2CKey as the only modchips capable of playing the backup.

The new beta firmware for CycloWiz modchips defeats Nintendo's protection by improving the stealth mode of the chip. Super Mario Galaxy initially could detect if your Wii was running a burnt copy of the game and returned an error that a modchip was detected on your system.

Team Cyclops said:
We have a new firmware in beta-test (V3.6) that seems to run "protected" games fine. Be warned that not all the chip features/setups where tested yet, so if you want a firmware that has been completely tested, please wait a few more days.

IT IS HIGHLY SUGGESTED NEVER TO UPGRADE YOUR WII FIRMWARE FROM AN IMPORT GAME, AS IT COULD BREAK YOUR WII MENUS.

On a side note, the drive RAM could not be read from the Wii to perform checks. Anybody that says so is either ignorant, or lying to you on purpose.

All other modchips are now having to play catchup to the excellent example and quick standards set by Team Cyclops. This news may be frustrating if you are an owner of a different modchip but remember CycloWiz has proven it is indeed possible to defeat Nintendo's new copy protection.

The Wiikey Team has already stated they are well aware of the issue and are "currently investigating the issues and will post a new announcement as soon as we have something to report."

The backup will run on both NTSC and PAL Wii systems, however the game includes a mini-update on the disc that could wreck a PAL Wii menu. Use caution if running this game on PAL.

The Metroid Prime 3 "turn-off trick" does work. You can avoid duplicate News and Weather channels on a PAL Wii by using this method. But please remember you MUST be on the latest Wii system firmware before attempting this trick. As of writing the latest firmware is 3.1.

download.gif
CycloWiz 3.6 Beta (NTSC)

download.gif
CycloWiz 3.6 Beta (PAL)

icon11.gif
Source

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel bitter...the WiiKey says they are 'investigating the issue' with absolutely no ETA...knowing the Xeno team, they are going to take years before completion of this update (anyways it won't be released till when we don't care anymore).

Anyways enjoy the game Cyclo owners...I shouldn't of blasted you guys back in the early purchasing days. Cause now I envy you guys.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm surprised to the extremes people go to avoid paying for copy.... the game is totally worth buying people...
dry.gif

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anybody confirmed whether an original copy of the game will run on a Wiikey modchipped Wii?

I have no problem buying an original copy of the game to play but I don't want to buy it if it won't work on my Wiikey'd Wii.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Good news!

Maybe the Wiikey team and other teams can work on getting past this.
And maybe people will stop flooding that damn Mario release topic so the portal can return back to normal...

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Has anybody confirmed whether an original copy of the game will run on a Wiikey modchipped Wii?

I have no problem buying an original copy of the game to play but I don't want to buy it if it won't work on my Wiikey'd Wii.

It was reported to work just fine. The Wii only has troubles with it if it is a burnt copy of the game.

zif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the team wasn't trying to fix Super Mario Galaxy, but just made their chip more efficient. The fact that SMG works was an unexpected bonus.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm surprised to the extremes people go to avoid paying for copy.... the game is totally worth buying people...
dry.gif

I have already pre-ordered my order my copy... But what about other less polished games that deserve a "test run" only and may also feature protection?

What about PAL owners who otherwise have to wait (potentially) months longer to play/buy the same games as their US counterparts?

This is about more than just a single release...

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
This is amazing news, people always bash each others mods but the true test is speed of updates when theres a problem and Cyclo have just owned everyone.
Glad I still don't have a Wii! Considering buying this and Metroid next month tho heh, both games are totally worth it!
Didn't feel like posting in the 906 post SMG release thread (btw I'm pretty sure that's a record for this site!!).

D

Deleted User

considering their messages, it seems they have updated their chips to fix a reading issue on the disc, not a stealth issue as they said the wii can check the ram of the drive chips. So a patch of the iso might be possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    What the hell was that Syl?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i'm writing an essay about a poem (i had to) and i chose one about death, so i decided i'd drop that one hotline miami quote in it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Which quote? "Twas I naked in the woods, and along came a wizard."?
    +2
    👀 Where?! 👀 Where!?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, That was hell.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    When you play SM64 but you try recreating the slider song from memory during an episode.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is
    iu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Our weather is crazy here in Ohio, was 90 last week, now its in the 60's, 45 at night.
    +1
    mmmAbout the same here. Under cloud cover at the moment
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys probably wearing winter jackets when in 60's in Cali.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard a new term today related to Cali, thought was funny, "California Sober" lol
    ROFL LMAO
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hurt ancientbois feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You wouldn't remove your teeth?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But his mouth is stuck on your meat
    +2
    AN SOFA
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had a power nap woke up with so much gas it's awesome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    holy shit why do i have 19 notifications?!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    AND WHY ARE SOME OF THEM BUNDLED UP REACTIONS TO POSTS?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cause I maybe, maybe clicked like a few times.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're as loved as much as Juan now enjoy it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm sorry for the insult
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the difference is i like wario and samus and he likes muscle mommies and feet
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait, i forgot wizards too
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wait, i forgot wizards too