Hacking New Micro SD question

litedragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi my girlfriend has recently bought an 8G Micro SD online and i was wondering if there is anyway to have it work
with the R4 it has a 32FAT format. Is there any way i can maybe downgrade the micro sd format or upgrade the R4 in order
to get them to work together? plz help.

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 GB only come in SDHC, which the R4 doesn't support and cannot support. If you really wanted to use it their are cards much better than the R4, but unless you upgrade, you are stuck with 2 GB cards.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
on-topic: youll need to upgrade some hardware or something, or just buy a cyclo evolution. it has sdhc support.
off-topic:there were 4gb non-sdhc cards were they?

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
on-topic: youll need to upgrade some hardware or something, or just buy a cyclo evolution. it has sdhc support.
off-topic:there were 4gb non-sdhc cards were they?
I thought I remember people saying that the 4GB cards weren't very reliable, but I don't know
wacko.gif

litedragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw somewhere on this site that said that you can update ur r4 to sdhc would that solve my problem if i did that? something with changing the name of ur file or sumthing >

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
litedragon said:
i saw somewhere on this site that said that you can update ur r4 to sdhc would that solve my problem if i did that? something with changing the name of ur file or sumthing >

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curley5959 said:
Are there any sd cards that I could buy that are 4gb or higher and dont have SDHC.. Preferably Australian site..

Thanks if you can..
smile.gif
I am having one of those moments when you can find something when you aren't looking for it, but not when you are looking for it
rolleyes.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i own two kingston 4gb msd cards, both are ok for most of my needs. they were hard to track down but meritline had them for a bit. to answer your question the r4 is indeed a hardware limitation. there is no way to *upgrade* it. you can't just solder on a schc controller and hope it works with the controller chip of the pcb. you could get an r4 clone but then you start to risk other problems (n5 blows a fuse on msd power cycle boot up). also i still don't know why everyone keeps saying the 'cyclods' is the best alternative to the r4. i guess somewhere along the way the cyclo became the next mainstream kit to get. i would personally recommend the ak2 2.1 (new version with box and black pcb). they got the cost down so low you can you pick up the kit for around $12-15. i've been beta testing new versions of akaio firmware, and to be honest i would not use another flash kit or another firmware at this point. i'm speaking from experience of owning 7 flash kits going back to gba days.

if you do decided to keep the msd and upgrade your flash kit, make sure its a class6 sdhc. there are issues with the slower version sdhc kits and flash kits. if it isn't a class6 rated card, i would return it. also you can find many sites selling the kingston 2gb msd with a reader for under 8 bucks now. i duno about you but on the go 2gb is more than enough for a movie, some emulation, some apps, some games, and some entertainment. when i'm traveling i have a case so having a few msd cards on me isn't an issue.

@Curley5959: sdhc is 4gb - 32gb (where 32 hasn't been produced yet). normal msd are 1, 2 and 4gb only. 4 being rare and harder to find.

cheers,
-another world

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get a DSTT for like twelve dollars, including shipping and handling (see here, although that's just the link I happened to have -- I'm not guaranteeing it's the best/cheapest.) That'll support the SDHC card, and will be better in lots of other ways, too (no need for ARM7 patching on newer games, say.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee