ROM Hack New Metroid Bros.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta testers, I know the last version was pretty buggy. I was more focused on finishing level builds. Well, I have finished all the levels I am going to add now. I still have a couple things to do. I want to test the game myself one more time. Then I will send all of you a final test version. From there I need you guys to really go through it and find all the little glitches in the game. Make sure all the star coins work and midway entrances. See if the camera scrolls to high, or too low, etc. I still have a few levels that need enemies, and want to add more things to do, and puzzles to solve.

I am going to add one or more powerups to the game as well. I am working on this right now before I do any game fixes. Last time I tried to add more, it was causing major issues. This is because I have filled every useable powerup that I know of with custom ones, but I think I may find room for one more.

One big powerup I want to add is one that only works as small Mario. When you hit the block as mini or small Mario, a flower pops up (which is not from the original game obviously). It doesn't work as big Mario at all. I need to draw an image (icon) for it. If ANY of the GBAtempers here can think of a good image for this, I would appreciate suggestions. Right now I have the original Metroid missiles as fire flowers. When you hit the a Metroid ZM missile pops up as the flower. I was thinking of making a ZM missile block so that you can tell the difference. Because if you are big Mario it will make it look like the powerup doesn't work. If you are small Mario, you will not expect a flower to pop up. If any GBAtempers have ideas to make this obvious for the game, I will give you credit in the game credits if it ends up being the one I pick. Oh, I was also thinking of maybe a small Mario head image or a mini Mario inside a missile powerup.

So basically, I am really going to need beta testers here over the next couple weeks. I am asking anyone that wants to do it, but I must have feedback as you test or it does me no good. So I need what the bug is, what happened, and where it happened. And especially now the more detail the better. I do have a credits level in the game, where all the beta testers are permanently in the game itself.

PM me if you are seriously interested, and I can send you my current test version. If you are kind of serious about testing, just wait for the full version coming soon.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's great that your hack is nearing completion. Very well done
smile.gif

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Hey my friend!
You should create a trailer for your hack!
But an ingeniuos one like mine!

Let me know and I'll public your video!

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SKJmin said:
Hey my friend!
You should create a trailer for your hack!
But an ingeniuos one like mine!

Let me know and I'll public your video!

I don't have any time for trailers right now. Been too busy with bug fixes and corrections. Is sent you and the beta testers another revision. If you can do any cleanups or have ideas, I am getting that close to completion. I don't think I am going to add anymore areas. Just editing what is there. I am out of tilesets, and levels are all full.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SKJmin has joined in to help me debug and finish the hack. We have spent a lot of hours this weekend finding and fixing issues. I am still debugging on mine own most of my waking hours this weekend. Trying to get the game wrapped up. There really aren't anymore levels to build. I have added a lot of coins, powerups, and things to do. The levels are well populated now with hidden items, and extras. None of them are unfair or crazy hard.

Reactions: 1 person

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting closer to the release here...I promise. I have got rid of all the major bugs now. But the ones that are left are difficult to find solutions to. I am fixing them one by one. Also waiting on a couple features from the editor developer, but I may be able to find a work around.

I can't wait to get to the final version here. It has been almost a year in the making. Taking up almost all my free time.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another big change to the game. The powerups and Mario modes have been ASM hacked. Mario and his powerups behave more like Samus/Metroid. Not completely like Samus, he is still Mario of course, but the game is a lot more focused on firepower now.

Still testing and debugging. Making graphic and camera improvements. Trying to get as close to perfect as possible.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
luckwii said:
Another big change to the game. The powerups and Mario modes have been ASM hacked. Mario and his powerups behave more like Samus/Metroid. Not completely like Samus, he is still Mario of course, but the game is a lot more focused on firepower now.

Still testing and debugging. Making graphic and camera improvements. Trying to get as close to perfect as possible.
Wow, now you're making me curious. If you need testing just let me know
smile.gif

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The poll overwhelmingly supports making this thing perfect. I spent probably 24 hours debugging just this weekend. Every last detail. I am going to have the beta testers go through the game a couple more times before releasing. I am getting this thing as perfect as possible.

Also, there is a new hacked feature to this game as I mentioned. The Mario system has changed for the better. More like Samus now. There are a couple more physics changes I may add before release.

I added some more features to the retro games as well. One is super cool, although I will not hint at it so as not to spoil it.

I am doubling down now on getting this thing done. Not that I had been going slow before....

This NSMB hack will have more hacked textures, sprites, features, and graphics than any other. I can't emphasize enough that although this was built off of NSMB, it is a game unto itself.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update...

I have found a lot of new features that are not used in the original NSMB. I have added them into my game. So when I release this, you will see a lot of new things not seen before, even in SKJmins SMB3 remake. I am taking everyone's advice and making the game perfect. I have gone through about half of the game now and made every room and tile from all the originals exactly how they were. The tiles and graphics have been improved a lot, but the original location are perfect.

Also, did a lot of work on the cameras. They follow Mario exactly how I want them to so that the game plays and looks perfect down to the last pixel. Still getting closer to final release, but these latest improvements have been huge.

There are some big surprises now in the retro games. Things that I didn't think were possible using NSMB as a base rom.

Anyway, I am putting major hours into getting this out there. At least 8 hours a day everyday. This is going to be way bigger than the original game, and bigger and more changes to the original than any other Mario hack.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckwii, just want to say thanks for all the hard work!
This mod is gonna be epic!
You and skjmin seem to be the masters of hacking nsmb!
Making even better games than the base game.
Many thanks to you both!
Eagerly waiting to play this.
smile.gif

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to all.

Yeah I really want to release this ASAP so it can be played. I have the week off so I will get a lot done.

Rutherford Atlas

Unintentional Marksman
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frequent lurker, seldom poster here. Just wanted to throw in my support and appreciation for your work on this. This looks awesome, and I hope development is going well!

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been working on it all week. Over 100 revisions just this week to my working copy. So far that is. I found a way to add an extra layer to the game graphics and have started implementing it into some of my levels. There are more retro levels with updated graphics, improved graphics, and a lot more hidden things to do. I am not putting any unfairly complex puzzles, or crazy hard parts in the game. The focus is on getting every tile, enemy, and image as close to the old originals as possible. As well as adding Mario and enemies so that it is still a little Mario.

I also adding a lot more texture hacks to the game. I have not used any original tilesets, backgrounds, or level design from NSMB. The game is already bigger than NSMB.

There are only a few levels that I still want to add. They are extremely difficult to build, but will be well worth the extra wait until this is released. I am going as fast as I can to get it finished, but not sacrificing any quality or fun from the game. I am hoping this game goes down as one of the best, if not the best hack made for the DS. It is already big time on course for that.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol